What does "It is what it is" mean to you?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: A liberal finally admits: abortion is murder!

Originally Posted by pickup
It is what it is.
I highlighted your last phrase because it's not my favorite.
I would not call it my favorite but it is in my signature and within my ability to operate in the real world, it defines the best approach to live in that real world.

I've been around a lot of unhappy people in my life who were stressed out because they can not control the world and make it fit to their model that they think the world should be.

For the most part, I dismiss these people from my consideration and stay away from them as much as possible. If they want to be stressed - so be it. I do not let them pull me into their downward spiral of frustration and angst. JMO

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

walk away since this discussion is a no win situation and does not belong in the workplace. JMO

I would not call it my favorite but it is in my signature and within my ability to operate in the real world, it defines the best approach to live in that real world.

I've been around a lot of unhappy people in my life who were stressed out because they can not control the world and make it fit to their model that they think the world should be.

For the most part, I dismiss these people from my consideration and stay away from them as much as possible. If they want to be stressed - so be it. I do not let them pull me into their downward spiral of frustration and angst. JMO
That actually sounds like an old center manager of mine. Problem was, I couldn't stay away from him:sad-little:.
Personally I like the phrase "it is what it is". To me it indicates an acceptance of reality, something which is too often in short supply. Another good one is "You are what you repeatedly do."

P

pickup

IT IS WHAT IT IS. I used it a little differently than hoaxster did. Depends on how you define "is" in my case. It might appear to me one way and it might appear to someone else differently. I couldn't get a handle on it but just like I don't know if there is a pencil or pen in the closed drawer, whatever is there , it is what it is. Is you is or is you not getting what I be saying? Cause I sure as heck aint.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

IT IS WHAT IT IS. I used it a little differently than hoaxster did. .... I don't know if there is a pencil or pen in the closed drawer, whatever is there , it is what it is.

That is consistent with my usage ... What ever is in the drawer is reality ... if I wanted it to be a pen and it turned out to be a pencil, it is what it is - a pencil.

P

pickup

That is consistent with my usage ... What ever is in the drawer is reality ... if I wanted it to be a pen and it turned out to be a pencil, it is what it is - a pencil.

I lost my line of thought in my previous post( I got the dizzie ISsies) I did manage to get one point made and thank you for adding to it hoax. My other point, it is like a parable expressed in the bible. Multiple meanings on multiple levels, but it is what it is to the reader. One thinks it means xyz, the other thinks it means a,b,c. I posted that post about the aborting of less than desireable children(and that designation was made by the parents or mother , not me) and stated it is what is as in you make of it what you will.

P

pickup

Goddarn it Hoax, you started another thread and I didn't even notice it. GENIE, GENIE, get back into the bottle.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I use it to describe what I am dealing with and what is facing the customer, facts that are not able to be argued with.

Sir, the landscaper put in substandard equipment, equipment that if you want me to fix what is wrong with the pond, we will not be able to reuse. It is what it is.

Now, if you want me to fix the problem, we can, no problem.

So usually when I use it, it deals with what the facts are, they are what they are, unembellished.

Then we work to solve the issues dealing with those facts.

Does that make sense?

d

P

pickup

I use it to describe what I am dealing with and what is facing the customer, facts that are not able to be argued with.

Sir, the landscaper put in substandard equipment, equipment that if you want me to fix what is wrong with the pond, we will not be able to reuse. It is what it is.

Now, if you want me to fix the problem, we can, no problem.

So usually when I use it, it deals with what the facts are, they are what they are, unembellished.

Then we work to solve the issues dealing with those facts.

Does that make sense?

d

yup.

my friend uses the term in place of "we can agree to disagree" . When he says "it is , what it is" , he means that we can both call it different things and we might both valid points, but in the end, it is what is actually is. Very simple Example: From a distance we might see a writing instrument being used by someone on the second floor by the window. I say it is a pencil, he says it is a pen. We argue back and forth but can't get any closer to prove to the other person what it is . He'll then say "it is what it is"., , partly also because it really ain't that important.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think Danny got it with this quote, "So usually when I use it, it deals with what the facts are, they are what they are, unembellished".

raceanoncr

What does any of this have to do with "UPS Discussions" forum? I don't see UPS mentioned in any of these posts. OK, correct me if I'm wrong.

"United Parcel Service related topics"

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Race

Hoax is a Mod. This is his thread. It is on the UPS forum.

Therefore it is what it is.:wink2:

For better or worse.

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting

is your signature geared toward work life or life in general????

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it.
Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion.
Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare.
Impossible is potential.
Impossible is temporary.
Impossible is nothing