What does "It is what it is" mean to you?

satellitedriver

Wait until my lesson on "Predicate Nominative" . :wink2:

:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:
Jeez,
We would get into a discussion of the four “cases” - Nominative, Genitive, Accusative, and Dative- and truly bore the heck out of everyone.
In college, I was corrupted by Kurt Vonnegut's style of writing (in the early 70's) and pure grammar rules have not bothered me since that time.
:peaceful:

P

pickup

Well considering the lenght of that dissertation I thought you did a pretty good job of only missing the i. You could probably write for the New York Times. LOL :peaceful:

Thanks, I think. The motto of The New York Times is "All the news that is fit to print". I think it should be "all the news that is print to fit(a liberal agenda)." So I don't think I will be working there any time soon, not that anyone is offering me a job.

By the way, you typed in "lenght" in your post. Does that refer to a period of Lent where the observer picked a particularly hard to drop vice for 40 days and hence, it seems like those 40 days are the toughest of his life? (a combination of two words like "lent" and "ugh" together). Or is it a simple misspelling?:wink2:

Yeah, I also took note of your subtle suggestion that I should have capitalized the first letter of each word in "The New York Times". Maybe you should get a job there as a proofreader.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Thanks, I think. The motto of The New York Times is "All the news that is fit to print". I think it should be "all the news that is print to fit(a liberal agenda)." So I don't think I will be working there any time soon, not that anyone is offering me a job.

By the way, you typed in "lenght" in your post. Does that refer to a period of Lent where the observer picked a particularly hard to drop vice for 40 days and hence, it seems like those 40 days are the toughest of his life? (a combination of two words like "lent" and "ugh" together). Or is it a simple misspelling?:wink2:

Yeah, I also took note of your subtle suggestion that I should have capitalized the first letter of each word in "The New York Times". Maybe you should get a job there as a proofreader.

LOL I meant it in a good way so, you are welcome. I missed the typo and I usually proof read. Good catch. :wink2:

P

pickup

:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:
Jeez,
We would get into a discussion of the four “cases” - Nominative, Genitive, Accusative, and Dative- and truly bore the heck out of everyone.
In college, I was corrupted by Kurt Vonnegut's style of writing (in the early 70's) and pure grammar rules have not bothered me since that time.

No please let's not get into that discussion for I only really became intimately acquanted with the cases when I studied Latin in high school. And it is somewhat true that : Latin is a dead language
Dead as it can be
First it killed the Romans
And now it is killing me!

Yeah, I remember Kurt Vonnegut's style of writing, that could corrupt anyone.

When I was in college, I had a job typing in stuff as I watched videotape recordings of the local newscasts. My job was to type in stuff that was related to any industrial products, services, etc. For example, if I watched a story about cigarette smoking, I had to type about the spin the news report was putting on it, as well as any images (like a pack of marlboro) as well as any mentions of company names like Philip Morris. It was told to me that this info would be bought by companies (in this case, philip Morris) to see what light their company and their products were being presented in the media, presumably so they could do counterspin if they felt it was necessary
to do so.
I can't remember the name of the company I worked for( I called it "the deathtrap" because the office stunk to high heaven from all the formaldehyde leaching from the furniture into the office atmosphere (you couldn't open a window if you tried), but it had a subsidiary called Burrell's. You might have heard of this name ,for at the end of many television shows like Oprah, it would either be vocally stated or written "To receive a transcript of this show, contacts Burrell's at such a such address and send x amount of dollars" . I don't watch much television anymore and they do more promos over the credits than they did years ago, so I don't know if Burrell's is still around .

Anyway, working there helped me get my typing skills into good shape, but it also corrupted my grammar as the emphasis was on the information, not on it being typed in grammatically correct or with the correct punctuation marks. Misspellngs were accepted as long as a reader would still be able to easily figure out what was being expressed. And if you were real good at it, you didn't have to hit the pause button to catch up. But to be real good at it, you had to leave the rules of grammar and punctuation cleanup on the side.

Unfortunately, I typed on the old style computer keyboards(with the raised keys) and now am somewhat crippled when I type on my Mac keyboard (where the keys aren't raised in the fashion that I became accustomed to). A lot of times, I do hit the shift key to capitalize an "I" but it doesn't make it that way to my screen. Now, due to dilligaf, I will make a better effort.

On a more humourous note, there is a joke that goes like this "he is so dumb, it takes him two hours to watch sixty minutes" . It was no joke with me, I had to alway hit pause and rewind on that show because if they did an expose on a company or product , I got overwhelmed" . I was always thanking god when Andy Rooney finally came on at the end because he would rarely mention a product and if he did , it was in passing or not done in a critical manner.

So, Satellite Driver, we both know we are capable of doing better than we do here, but I'll let a lot of your stuff slide if you let my stuff slide. :wink2:

P

pickup

So now you know why I can bang out these long dissertations, for I really don't need to look at the keyboard when I type and I can bang out about 50 wpm half asleep. I use to be able to do 80 wpm(fully alert) on a different keyboard but I will never get totally acclimated to this mac keyboard.

P

pickup

LOL I meant it in a good way so, you are welcome. I missed the typo and I usually proof read. Good catch. :wink2:

I suppose we can all take this saying to heart : " Remember, when you point a finger at someone, there are three fingers pointing back at you"

satellitedriver

No please let's not get into that discussion for I only really became intimately acquanted with the cases when I studied Latin in high school. And it is somewhat true that : Latin is a dead language
Dead as it can be
First it killed the Romans
And now it is killing me!
Funny you should bring up Latin and the "cases".
I was involved in an "experimental learning" Latin class at The University of Houston.
(My favorite course, next to symbolic logic.)
I learned more about English grammar ,than I ever learned in High School or my English writing courses in college.
Latin is not dead, it invaded and mutated into the root base of many languages.

Yeah, I remember Kurt Vonnegut's style of writing, that could corrupt anyone.
Fess up,
Kurt's use of dialogue was the best.
Rarely have I read the spoken word expressed in such a natural form.

So, Satellite Driver, we both know we are capable of doing better than we do here, but I'll let a lot of your stuff slide if you let my stuff slide. :wink2:
In my dotage, I can only hope to be half as good as I was.
I view our Tete-a-tete (sp) as a shuffle board game.
I slide my puck down a narrow alley, to make a point, and my competitor on the other end has the exact same goal in mind.
After the match, we sit on deck chairs (with drinks in hand) and watch the sunset.
Tomorrow we will slide our pucks at each other in a new game, but in the end will sit and watch this day pass.:peaceful:

satellitedriver

Sat, if you are apologizing 'beforehand' should the hilited have been placed at the top of your post. :bigsmile2:
Dlli,
It was a Post Script, to my post. The "apologetic" was if the reader found offense in my post. Ergo, the reader had to read the post before being offended.
All BS aside,
"beforehand'" is an archaic term and I assumed with Pickups literary background that he would know the order in which I placed that term.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dlli,
It was a Post Script, to my post. The "apologetic" was if the reader found offense in my post. Ergo, the reader had to read the post before being offended.
All BS aside,
"beforehand'" is an archaic term and I assumed with Pickups literary background that he would know the order in which I placed that term.
:whiteflag: I am out of my league here. It's all yours!:surprised:

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I hate that stupid saying Its not an answer to a question ,its not advice of any kind, it`s what you say when you didnt really listen to a conversation you were having or you cant be bothered to think of a solution to a situation or if you just want to end a conversation. Either way I think its an answer or statement that shows you dont really give a **** about the superficial conversation you were having at the time you said it........ It is what it is after all

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I hate that stupid saying Its not an answer to a question ,its not advice of any kind, it`s what you say when you didnt really listen to a conversation you were having or you cant be bothered to think of a solution to a situation or if you just want to end a conversation. Either way I think its an answer or statement that shows you dont really give a **** about the superficial conversation you were having at the time you said it........ It is what it is after all

It is what it is ... would like to respond but got to go.

rod

Retired 22 years
"It is what it is" is just a phrase thrown around UPS that means " you would have better luck talking to a brick wall than arguing with me". It is always followed by the person that says it doing an abrupt 180 degree turn and walking away from you -- to which you respond by giving them a one finger wave.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
"It is what it is" is just a phrase thrown around UPS that means " you would have better luck talking to a brick wall than arguing with me". It is always followed by the person that says it doing an abrupt 180 degree turn and walking away from you -- to which you respond by giving them a one finger wave.

Good example of a concept in action.