What does Safety Recognition accomplish?

Integrity

Binge Poster
...you mean other than the sense of pride in a job well done and done safely?
UpstateNYUPSer,

What I mean is, in your opinion, what does recognizing a work group for 0 injuries/ 0 accidents accomplish?

I am taking your answer to be, that in your opinion, recognizing a work group for this provides a sense of pride in a job well done and done safely within the recognized work group.

Please forgive me and correct me if I am putting words down for you.

Thanks so much for contributing to this discussion thread!

Sincerely,
I

whiskey

To All,

What does recognizing work groups for 0 injuries/0 accidents accomplish?

Sincerely,
I

Add one more 0. Because that's what it means to me. It is yet another program undermined with corporate deceit. Example. USA today publishing UPS safe driving records. When, in fact, thousands of accidents have been swept under the rug to protect the integrity of these so called "safe drivers". It's a sham and a shame. Okay, you had to ask.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Recognition, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y’all

(Thanks to Edwin Starr)

[video=youtube;01-2pNCZiNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-2pNCZiNk&feature[/video]

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Perpetuates my employment and preserves my health.
Aside from that all it does is create the illusion that my management team is doing something right.
It's this factoid that makes me want to drive my package car into a telephone pole.

bumped

All 0/0 means is the on cars have nothing else to do, so they will be looking at the telematics a little closer. It means they will be following you even more.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Perpetuates my employment and preserves my health.
Aside from that all it does is create the illusion that my management team is doing something right.
It's this factoid that makes me want to drive my package car into a telephone pole.
Or a bridge pylon. We have 40 awards sitting in some room.
I think some of the receivers have left the building, retired. Im still waiting for my 26 yr of service, Sept 2010, and my 18? yr of safe driving. Guess its really important,.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
UPS's current safety program is so childish and so moronic that it is impossible to take it seriously in any way.

The program accomplishes nothing except to allow those who administrate it to perpetuate the illusion that they are doing something worthwhile.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Below is a copy of a post on another thread that actually has more bearing here.

In the past, I have disagreed with Sober on the negativity he has shown the process of safety at UPS. While I know things are run differently in different places, the over all concept should work if both the employer and employee work together.

One thing that also undermines any real meaning to safety awards is the uneven application of chargable vs nonchargable accidents. And of course, no matter how you are injured, you should have been able to avoid the injury, regardless of whether you could or not.

Snickers candy bars= dont snicker at safety............How much do they pay the people who came up with that?
I figure that the people that came up with that used to teach 1st grade. And because they could not elevate their curriculum to meet the advancing mind of a 6 year old, they got canned. And now UPS is paying them big bucks to come up with stuff like that.

As a side note, since safety began at our building, the union has had a large presence in the meetings and procedures. For the most part, the hourly co-chairs were stewards. We did make a lot of difference in the over all safety picture at the center.

But shortly after I left, things changed. The company decided that we could not be trusted with the safety picture at our center. So now they are in total control.

Attendance at the meetings is maybe 5, where it had been 30+. There is no union involvement in the meetings, and the company and union are at loggerheads on the implementation of the "new initiatives". And the results of this have shown a huge payoff. 15% of the drivers in that center were off on comp during the Christmas season.

But at least now they have total control. Hope they are happy.

d

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In the past, I have disagreed with Sober on the negativity he has shown the process of safety at UPS. While I know things are run differently in different places, the over all concept should work if both the employer and employee work together.

What you perceive as negativity is merely me insisting that we be honest and call a spade a spade.

We dont have a Safety Committee. What we have...is a Keter Audit Compliance Committee that masquerades as a Safety Committee.

I agree with you 100% that the process should work if the employer and the employee work together. But you and I both know that that will never actually happen, because "working together" requires compromise and teamwork and a willingess from both sides to give and take on certain issues. UPS has made it abundantly clear that, as far as the Safety Committees are concerned, there will be no changes made to company equipment, facilities, polices or procedures. So in my mind, there is little point in participating in a Committee that will never be allowed to accomplish anything meaningful in the first place.

Integrity

Binge Poster
What you perceive as negativity is merely me insisting that we be honest and call a spade a spade.

We dont have a Safety Committee. What we have...is a Keter Audit Compliance Committee that masquerades as a Safety Committee.

I agree with you 100% that the process should work if the employer and the employee work together. But you and I both know that that will never actually happen, because "working together" requires compromise and teamwork and a willingess from both sides to give and take on certain issues. UPS has made it abundantly clear that, as far as the Safety Committees are concerned, there will be no changes made to company equipment, facilities, polices or procedures. So in my mind, there is little point in participating in a Committee that will never be allowed to accomplish anything meaningful in the first place.
soberups,

I agree with you as to the current lack of Integrity in the Safety Committees.

The committees are collectively bargained joint committees.

Why do you think the Union has allowed them to become committees that serve the company and not the employees?

Sincerely,
I