What does Safety Recognition accomplish?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Integrity, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

To All,

What does recognizing work groups for 0 injuries/0 accidents accomplish?

Sincerely,
    I

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

...you mean other than the sense of pride in a job well done and done safely?

3. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

UpstateNYUPSer,

What I mean is, in your opinion, what does recognizing a work group for 0 injuries/ 0 accidents accomplish?

I am taking your answer to be, that in your opinion, recognizing a work group for this provides a sense of pride in a job well done and done safely within the recognized work group.

Please forgive me and correct me if I am putting words down for you.

Thanks so much for contributing to this discussion thread!

Sincerely,
    I

4. TearsInRain

TearsInRain part-time bossman

to me it means a higher chance of one of my people winning whatever item they're raffling off that week

5. bigblu 2 you

bigblu 2 you Active Member

i want the nail clippers{30 years}

6. brownelf

brownelf Active Member

in my neck of the woods, it's a welcome break from the usual am meeting beat downs we get from our center manager.

7. whiskey

whiskey New Member

Add one more 0. Because that's what it means to me. It is yet another program undermined with corporate deceit. Example. USA today publishing UPS safe driving records. When, in fact, thousands of accidents have been swept under the rug to protect the integrity of these so called "safe drivers". It's a sham and a shame. Okay, you had to ask.

8. DorkHead

DorkHead Active Member

Lower Insurance rates maybe?

9. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Time on the clock. Keep talking!

10. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Recognition, huh, yeah
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing
    Say it again, y’all

(Thanks to Edwin Starr)

[video=youtube;01-2pNCZiNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-2pNCZiNk&feature[/video]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  11. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

Perpetuates my employment and preserves my health.
    Aside from that all it does is create the illusion that my management team is doing something right.
    It's this factoid that makes me want to drive my package car into a telephone pole.

12. bumped

bumped Well-Known Member

All 0/0 means is the on cars have nothing else to do, so they will be looking at the telematics a little closer. It means they will be following you even more.

13. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

You get doughnuts on Fridays.

14. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Or a bridge pylon. We have 40 awards sitting in some room.
    I think some of the receivers have left the building, retired. Im still waiting for my 26 yr of service, Sept 2010, and my 18? yr of safe driving. Guess its really important,.

15. Signature Only

Signature Only Blue in Brown

Sandwiches on Friday made by the center manager.. Not many people took them. We didn't know if the center manager's hands were clean.

16. CustomerConcern

CustomerConcern New Member

Well I am shocked....yall still get food? WTH! Awards for drivers are now given to preloaders to put on drivers seat now. LAME

17. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

UPS's current safety program is so childish and so moronic that it is impossible to take it seriously in any way.

The program accomplishes nothing except to allow those who administrate it to perpetuate the illusion that they are doing something worthwhile.

18. dannyboy

dannyboy From the promised LAND

Below is a copy of a post on another thread that actually has more bearing here.

In the past, I have disagreed with Sober on the negativity he has shown the process of safety at UPS. While I know things are run differently in different places, the over all concept should work if both the employer and employee work together.

One thing that also undermines any real meaning to safety awards is the uneven application of chargable vs nonchargable accidents. And of course, no matter how you are injured, you should have been able to avoid the injury, regardless of whether you could or not.

19. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

What you perceive as negativity is merely me insisting that we be honest and call a spade a spade.

We dont have a Safety Committee. What we have...is a Keter Audit Compliance Committee that masquerades as a Safety Committee.

I agree with you 100% that the process should work if the employer and the employee work together. But you and I both know that that will never actually happen, because "working together" requires compromise and teamwork and a willingess from both sides to give and take on certain issues. UPS has made it abundantly clear that, as far as the Safety Committees are concerned, there will be no changes made to company equipment, facilities, polices or procedures. So in my mind, there is little point in participating in a Committee that will never be allowed to accomplish anything meaningful in the first place.

20. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

soberups,

I agree with you as to the current lack of Integrity in the Safety Committees.

The committees are collectively bargained joint committees.

Why do you think the Union has allowed them to become committees that serve the company and not the employees?

Sincerely,
    I