What does Safety Recognition accomplish?

DS

Fenderbender
My main interest is in what people believe group recognition accomplishes.

Sincerely,
I
Group recognition accomplishes absolutely nothing in my opinion.
I mean ,I have no control over how the maroon 3 trucks down reacts under pressure.
If we have an accident,and most of us have had a few,its our problem.
Every one I've ever had was from being in a hurry.I have learned over time to slow down.
There is a fine line between working with a sense of urgency,and working unsafe.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My main interest is in what people believe group recognition accomplishes.

It is illogical to assume that an otherwise unsafe person would modify their behavior simply by virtue of the fact that they have been arbitrarily assigned to a group.

I think that UPS's motive behind "group" recognition is to create a subtle form of peer pressure that will discourage a person from reporting an injury out of fear that he/she would somehow be punishing the entire "group". This is textbook group psychology.

But when we are talking about a group of adult drivers who make $50K+ per year, it is rather absurd to think that one of them would avoid reporting an injury out of fear that the fellow members of his "group" will lose out on a $5 trinket or some coffee and doughnuts.

Of course, absurdity has never stopped UPS from doing things before.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It is illogical to assume that an otherwise unsafe person would modify their behavior simply by virtue of the fact that they have been arbitrarily assigned to a group.

I think that UPS's motive behind "group" recognition is to create a subtle form of peer pressure that will discourage a person from reporting an injury out of fear that he/she would somehow be punishing the entire "group". This is textbook group psychology.

But when we are talking about a group of adult drivers who make $50K+ per year, it is rather absurd to think that one of them would avoid reporting an injury out of fear that the fellow members of his "group" will lose out on a $5 trinket or some coffee and doughnuts.

Of course, absurdity has never stopped UPS from doing things before.
soberups,

Thanks for your excellent contribution to this discussion thread.

Based upon the culture and lack of union solidarity maybe it is not as absurd as you think.

A lot of employees are overly dependent on how others view them or will view them about a lot of different things.

I want to point out that it is not an arbitrary assignment. Individuals are grouped together in close work groups.

I agree with you 100%. The only purpose for recognizing groups for 0 accidents/0 injuries is to keep downward pressure on the injury and accident numbers.

In a large corporation reported injury and accident numbers are everything.

Anything that people in large company can do to put downward pressure on these numbers is considered a good thing.

This false type of safety recognition is just one of those things.

This kind of safety recoginition will make some weak willed people think twice before reporting certain injuries or accidents.

If a large corporation can get some of the workforce (probably more than you or I would want to admit)make something that is supposed to be objective(like reporting all injuries and accidents) into something that is subjective then the company can continue to wrongfully influence these numbers.

Sincerely,
I

packageguy

To me, a job well done. Each and everyday all elements
of weather, up and down steps so on and so on. we don't get raffles or safe driving awards any more,and it was never about that any way. ps I want to make the circle of honor. that is the goal since I got here.