What does the OJS code "VX2" mean?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dilli are you able to explain why you had to grieve it to get a time study or why you even wanted one in the first place
Starting around May of last year, management got really nasty with the 9.5's. They basically didn't give a crap if we went over or not. There are 3 women that pretty much got dumped on constantly and consistently. Between the 3 of us we easily had more than 30 grievances over a period of 3 or 4 months. The harassment and retaliation went through the roof. So much so, that at this point in time we are in a holding pattern for filing EEOC.

My route has never had good allowances. I am beat by 1.5 to 2.0 hours every day and management uses the bad numbers to dump on my route even more. We are a bonus center. As part of 1 or 2 of my grievances, I threw in that there is no way I can make bonus because of the time allowances and therefore the management is stealing money out of my pocket.

We have had a center level meeting last November. The VP of our Local was at the meeting. We were in that meeting all day long, literally. I got there at 8 am and did not leave the building until after 5:30. Right now, all grievances have been withdrawn with the right to refile. It won't be long before they are refiled. All 3 of us had 9.5's this week, and management wouldn't do anything about it. My steward will be filing grievances on Monday.

PACNW

Will that goes against what they teach ya in package handling opposite sides on corners..they cherry pick what they wanna do and abide by, that's why I just do what I feel comfortable doing a friend the "safe work methods"

Yep, many of the Safe work methods are in direct conflict with the 340 methods. 340's are all about production, like scan as you walk and park as close to the delivery point as possible.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Starting around May of last year, management got really nasty with the 9.5's. They basically didn't give a crap if we went over or not. There are 3 women that pretty much got dumped on constantly and consistently. Between the 3 of us we easily had more than 30 grievances over a period of 3 or 4 months. The harassment and retaliation went through the roof. So much so, that at this point in time we are in a holding pattern for filing EEOC.

My route has never had good allowances. I am beat by 1.5 to 2.0 hours every day and management uses the bad numbers to dump on my route even more. We are a bonus center. As part of 1 or 2 of my grievances, I threw in that there is no way I can make bonus because of the time allowances and therefore the management is stealing money out of my pocket.

We have had a center level meeting last November. The VP of our Local was at the meeting. We were in that meeting all day long, literally. I got there at 8 am and did not leave the building until after 5:30. Right now, all grievances have been withdrawn with the right to refile. It won't be long before they are refiled. All 3 of us had 9.5's this week, and management wouldn't do anything about it. My steward will be filing grievances on Monday.
Just curious what the unions stance was because they don't play into the numbers just a fair days work so how would you even be able to grieve this..I could see ups using this as an opportunity to make the numbers even worst than before...I thought there was a new thing in the contract about being over 9.5 all the time?? I have a feeling you ladies will be on top after all the smoke clears!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yep, many of the Safe work methods are in direct conflict with the 340 methods. 340's are all about production, like scan as you walk and park as close to the delivery point as possible.
Has less to do with del a package and more to do with dealing with a unionized company...try to trip people up on the littlest things...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Just curious what the unions stance was because they don't play into the numbers just a fair days work so how would you even be able to grieve this..I could see ups using this as an opportunity to make the numbers even worst than before...I thought there was a new thing in the contract about being over 9.5 all the time?? I have a feeling you ladies will be on top after all the smoke clears!!
My primary goal was not the time study. My primary goal is to get them to stop dumping on me. If the time study helps me then it's a win/win for me. It also vindicates my position.

Omega man

I don't stop complete it till I'm sitting in the seat after the delivery. So that is my time to get out walk and get back into the truck. Then start. Believe me. I am the one they bend over backwards to pull work off. I kill them with the methods else where
You are screwing yourself. The virtual time study is trying to measure the distance away from your truck that you "stop complete" the stop. It gives you a "time" for the "walk" distance. You are not getting this "walk" time by what you are doing. Record and stop complete at the delivery location (door, office etc) or you hurt yourself.

JackStraw

You are screwing yourself. The virtual time study is trying to measure the distance away from your truck that you "stop complete" the stop. It gives you a "time" for the "walk" distance. You are not getting this "walk" time by what you are doing. Record and stop complete at the delivery location (door, office etc) or you hurt yourself.
That's it folks. Also helps on DFU's too.

Starting around May of last year, management got really nasty with the 9.5's. They basically didn't give a crap if we went over or not.
Just do your job by the book and continue to file grievances every week. A number of years ago, management did the same thing to me. Their attitude changed quite a bit when they had to pay me a few thousand dollars for all of my 9.5 and 8-hour grievances.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I usually do the same.

But during an OJS, you should stop complete at every residential DR spot and walk every damn driveway you can find and stop complete at the door.
The computer will tell how far the diad is from the truck, which means you walked it. Basic OJS stuff you would do with the supervisor in the jumpseat.
That's exactly how it should be done when a virtual ride is being done, only screwing yourself if you don't scan at truck and stop complete at business or residence.

djkre8r

Stop complete AT the delivery location!!! It is in YOUR favor! I learned from experience. Had a person call in and say I didn't deliver the package and if I did I was not at their house. After further investigation by a pt sup... he pulled the diad gps up and it showed exactly where I left it. He crossed it with google earth and it showed the pkg was left on the step outside the porch's screen door (screen door was locked). This was a driveway with many houses on it. After I saw this was possible I ALWAYS make sure to stop complete where I put the package. BTW it also showed I scanned the pkg in the middle of the road which was actually in the truck where I parked.

Omega man

That's exactly how it should be done when a virtual ride is being done, only screwing yourself if you don't scan at truck and stop complete at business or residence.
Geeez??? Again, you don't scan at the truck! You scan and stop complete at the delivery location. It's not that hard.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Geeez??? Again, you don't scan at the truck! You scan and stop complete at the delivery location. It's not that hard.
Nah, scan at the truck when you start walking to get the walk time. If you scan then stop complete right at the delivery point the stop time would look shorter and it would look like travel/package selection time which is "coachable" and improvable.

CharleyHustle

Because the company dispatches by "standards"...what their computer says is a nine hr day, etc.

This, is what the company wants you to believe. The reality is that the only number the company can even try to hold you to is stops per on road hour. It is the number that management will look at the most to determine what you are doing. That is why most drivers don't want "credit" for anything. The more credit you take, duplicate stops, unscheduled pick ups, the higher your SPORH, the more work you will get. Keep your SPORH consistent and low, and repeatable when OJSed, and let them worry about the over allowed.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Was told by driver supe that im boys with that i hang out with all the time, who tells me alot of the secrets that you scan at truck and stop complete at delivery point. We dont have Orion yet but thats what they are going to base the Orion on when they do the Orion rides. I started doing this months ago and somehow mysteriously my stop count went way down and route is planning out better. So whatever the case may be, i will continue to do it the way he told me too.

10 point

This, is what the company wants you to believe. The reality is that the only number the company can even try to hold you to is stops per on road hour. It is the number that management will look at the most to determine what you are doing. That is why most drivers don't want "credit" for anything. The more credit you take, duplicate stops, unscheduled pick ups, the higher your SPORH, the more work you will get. Keep your SPORH consistent and low, and repeatable when OJSed, and let them worry about the over allowed.
I didn't say that it affected my mentality on a fair days work. I'm never intimidated by ojs rides. I work the same every day.

I'm taking about the amount of bulk and bloated stops jammed into a PC by the PDS who's computer says route 35D needs 145 stops and x amount of pcs to = 9 hrs of work and they'll keep stuffing it in until the driver files a 9.5 grievance.

Been there.

Omega man

Not at the car, see methods

340 – E Methods Issued: 10/11/05 Revised: 04/23/2009 Page 23 of 76
D. Do Not Record or Look at EDD Views While In The Car
1. DIAD recording is to be done during the delivery cycle (Walk to Receiver, Make Delivery, Walk to Car, or after unloading to a dock). EDD views are read during walks and delays in the delivery cycle.

340 – E Methods Issued: 10/11/05 Revised: 04/23/2009 Page 26 of 76
G. Record the package information by scanning the package on the way to the delivery point when it is safe to do so.

340 – E Methods Issued: 10/11/05 Revised: 04/23/2009 Page 30 of 76
I. Attract immediate attention
G. As you put the parcels down, place them so that all labels are exposed for
ease in scanning and recording. Scan every package. If a barcode cannot be scanned, key enter the entire tracking number. If the tracking number
cannot be read, follow local procedures.

From experience, I would not be surprised if UPS' methods were not compatible with the way they time study. In fact, I would expect that to be the case.

Last edited: