What Does The Union Do For Hub Workers?

804brown

I can't get straight or unbiased answers at work so I came here. I talked to a guy who told me not to join the union because in 1986 he started at $8/hr and now new hires are paid $8.50/hr. We have to wait a full year to get the "amazing benefits" that everyone talks about and 18months if we want them for our family. We are treated about as well as any farm animal would be, driven harder and harder by the day and constantly reminded that if we don't like it there are plenty that will take our place. They cut people constantly and want more work done with less people and they wonder why they have issues with injuries?!?! If you push people this hard and you pay them dirt and give them low hours they have to carry additional jobs. By the time they get to work for UPS they are probably already drained from the long day and now you want them to do the work of 3 people just so the CEO's can take their families to Fiji twice a year?!?! What happened to honest work for honest pay? What happened to treating employees AT LEAST like human beings? Is this just the hub I am in or do others see this as well? I was paid better money for FAR less work when I started working at 16 years old. If I come in and load for a mere 3 hour shift they expect me to break my back and work harder than my body will allow and at the end of the night I might take home $20 for that 3 hours after taxes... Are you kidding me? Where is the union? Why has pay increased 50 cents since 1986? Why am I talking to drivers that make over $30/hr when I am doing just as much, if not more, work than they are making $8.50/hr? How can we change this? I know it isn't just me - I have talked to others in my hub who are fed up. The way we are treated is inexcusable, the demands and expectations of us are unreal and the rate at which we are paid is just flat out insulting and degrading. What can be done?

Frustrated Hub Animal.

Absolutely join the union. Then organize that vocal group of part timers and go down to your local union hall and occupy the union hall. Make your demands directly to those paid representatives!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Absolutely join the union. Then organize that vocal group of part timers and go down to your local union hall and occupy the union hall. Make your demands directly to those paid representatives!!
Join the union, pay the money....and then go do all the work yourself.
Sorry, 804, but that's how it looked to an outsider!

Inthegame

Join the union, pay the money....and then go do all the work yourself.
Sorry, 804, but that's how it looked to an outsider!
No, that's how it looked to an anti-union idealogue that will never accept the value of union representation. Why do you bother? Me gave good advice, 804 gave good advice, even Jace gave good advice...and you throw sand in the shoes. Go bake a cake.

moreluck

golden ticket member
No, that's how it looked to an anti-union idealogue that will never accept the value of union representation. Why do you bother? Me gave good advice, 804 gave good advice, even Jace gave good advice...and you throw sand in the shoes. Go bake a cake.
I said it was an outsider's impression of what was written. I bother because if something sounds wrong to me I'll say something.

LagunaBrown

The Union is membership not a service...... Seriously, if you get a half ass effort from your members what do you expect from your local? Go check how many members even voted in the recent election and you better think twice on were you get your advise from. It is called a UNION after all and not a day care or a firm. Get organized and help make make life a little better for the working class. The Teamsters have done great things with people just like you so drop the whole me me me thing and join us in building our future.

menotyou

bella amicizia
actually i was trying to give the loader an alternative. seems like he disliked the introduction of the job...and no... thats where you came from...
If the loader wants to go into management, good for him. I hope he does whatever works for him and his family. All the people that have gone from union to management at my center that I have talked to, they end up regretting it. They can make more money driving.
As far as left field, please explain as I was the only one responding to the OP in the beginning.

hembone

I personally have not talked to anyone that has gone into management lately (last 10 years) that has told me they haven't regretted it.

I can't get straight or unbiased answers at work so I came here. I talked to a guy who told me not to join the union because in 1986 he started at $8/hr and now new hires are paid $8.50/hr. We have to wait a full year to get the "amazing benefits" that everyone talks about and 18months if we want them for our family. We are treated about as well as any farm animal would be, driven harder and harder by the day and constantly reminded that if we don't like it there are plenty that will take our place. They cut people constantly and want more work done with less people and they wonder why they have issues with injuries?!?! If you push people this hard and you pay them dirt and give them low hours they have to carry additional jobs. By the time they get to work for UPS they are probably already drained from the long day and now you want them to do the work of 3 people just so the CEO's can take their families to Fiji twice a year?!?! What happened to honest work for honest pay? What happened to treating employees AT LEAST like human beings? Is this just the hub I am in or do others see this as well? I was paid better money for FAR less work when I started working at 16 years old. If I come in and load for a mere 3 hour shift they expect me to break my back and work harder than my body will allow and at the end of the night I might take home $20 for that 3 hours after taxes... Are you kidding me? Where is the union? Why has pay increased 50 cents since 1986? Why am I talking to drivers that make over $30/hr when I am doing just as much, if not more, work than they are making $8.50/hr? How can we change this? I know it isn't just me - I have talked to others in my hub who are fed up. The way we are treated is inexcusable, the demands and expectations of us are unreal and the rate at which we are paid is just flat out insulting and degrading. What can be done?

Frustrated Hub Animal.
I started out the same way the money went a little farther than it does today but I stuck it out. Ups is a system just like anything in life you have to work within it. The economy sucks right now so if you can find a better job take it. Someone else will take your place and either rise or fall. It's not that deep of a thought its ups and partimers don't vote especially scab part timers who won't even joins our union.

rocket man

The insurance have you priced it vacation paid holidays overtime for part timers .The union is holding the door open for you and many others instead of it being a revolving door.Try picking a vacation at wall mart by seniorty or telling them you want a new contract or calling in sick 2 days or having the chance to be full time or getting a raise for years of service a retirment . with out the union it would be( ups mart).

Last edited:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
your part time and new to the game brudda, there is a massive weeding out process involved with going fulltime. few people can put up with the micromanaging and ridiculous production standards associated with fulltimers, im no joe union, and even the joe unions in my building lament alot about lack of representation, but your in a industry where only the strong survive so decide if your up for it

jace1319

If the loader wants to go into management, good for him. I hope he does whatever works for him and his family. All the people that have gone from union to management at my center that I have talked to, they end up regretting it. They can make more money driving.
As far as left field, please explain as I was the only one responding to the OP in the beginning.

smh this lady man.. do you ever get laid? anyway back to the subject... "relevance"... i have to admit a lot of these part time sups are brain dead.. . they should think out the box because worse case scenario there's always an option for part time sups to go driving full time... which is what I'm doing and no "menotyou" influence in me making that decision.. there's just a lot of issues with management. and above all.. i rather deal with a magmnt person attitude then a grumpy union employee that has issues with every instruction you give. At least when i go driving im better of dealing with a sup then a group of angry union employees lol

menotyou

bella amicizia
I don't know what smh this lady man means. "do I ever get laid?". Kinda funny you saying something in reference to me and lady man and in the next breathe asking if I get laid. That's funny stuff. I choose not to 'get laid' right now, as I am quite picky. If anyone thinks this is TMI, move along.

Am I reading this right??? You are going from management to union yourself??? Of course, I influenced you. Otherwise, you wouldn't have pointed out that I didnt influence you. Come on in to the union pool, the water is lovely!
I am sure you would rather deal with management as you already know their schpeal.

Let me know when you make your move from the 'dark side'. Does this mean no more sparring?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
000.jpg
000.jpg

All part-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2008 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year. In each of the years, the increase shall be paid in two (2) equal installments. The first half of the increase shall become effective on August 1 of the specified year. The second half of the increase shall become effective on February 1 of the following cal- endar year. The total wage increase for each year will be as follows:
seventy cents ($0.70)
seventy-five cents ($0.75)
seventy-five cents ($0.75)
eighty-five cents ($0.85)
ninety-five cents ($0.95)
Part-time employees still in progression on August 1, 2008 shall receive the above contractual increases and will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with the wage schedules in Article 22, Section 5 (b) below. Between the date of ratification and August 1, 2008 part-time employees will continue to be paid in accordance with the progression contained in the prior Agreement. The progression set forth in (b) below shall be applied effective August 1, 2008.
(b) Newly hired part-time employees
All part-time employees, who are hired or reach seniority after August 1, 2008 will be paid according to the following wage sched- ules:
Hourly Rate
Preloader All
Sorter
Others
Start
$9.50
$8.50
Start plus ninety (90) calendar days
$10.50
$9.50
Seniority plus one (1) year
$11.00
$10.00
Seniority plus two (2) years
$11.50
$10.50
Seniority plus three (3) years
$12.00
$11.00
Seniority plus four (4) years
$12.87
$11.87
Employees working high volume direct or low volume direct shall
receive the preloader/sorter rates.

* Fully paid Benefits second to none after 6 months for employee / after 1 year for immediate family
*$60.00 per month pension x years service from year 1 after 5 year vesting and 750 hrs year
* 1 week paid vacation after 1 year, 2 after 2,3 after 10 ,4 after 15
* 7 paid personal days per year
* 3 paid sick days per year
UPS also offers $1500.00 per semester college reinbursement up to $15,000.00 for college tuition
:winnersmiley:

jace1319

I don't know what smh this lady man means. "do I ever get laid?". Kinda funny you saying something in reference to me and lady man and in the next breathe asking if I get laid. That's funny stuff. I choose not to 'get laid' right now, as I am quite picky. If anyone thinks this is TMI, move along.

Am I reading this right??? You are going from management to union yourself??? Of course, I influenced you. Otherwise, you wouldn't have pointed out that I didnt influence you. Come on in to the union pool, the water is lovely!
I am sure you would rather deal with management as you already know their schpeal.

Let me know when you make your move from the 'dark side'. Does this mean no more sparring?

you crack me up. seriously. As of now i am a reasonable supervisor. But on the other hand i get bored easily. So maybe i might be wrong and no menotyou don't flatter yourself. I had this idea a long time ago i can always go back into management but let me explore my options first. Eventually time will tell.....

rocket man

i don't know what smh this lady man means. "do i ever get laid?". Kinda funny you saying something in reference to me and lady man and in the next breathe asking if i get laid. That's funny stuff. I choose not to 'get laid' right now, as i am quite picky. If anyone thinks this is tmi, move along.

Am i reading this right??? You are going from management to union yourself??? Of course, i influenced you. Otherwise, you wouldn't have pointed out that i didnt influence you. Come on in to the union pool, the water is lovely!

i think everyone should get laid im up for the ocassion most of the time ( a stiff wind if its day light night time or whem im up , yippie

I like getting laid but I almost always need a sandwich after. Makes me hungry

NYdriver

Frustrated Hub Animal.

Are you high, or have you just completely lost your mind? Drivers work a little more than 3 hours pal.

menotyou

bella amicizia
you crack me up. seriously. As of now i am a reasonable supervisor. But on the other hand i get bored easily. So maybe i might be wrong and no menotyou don't flatter yourself. I had this idea a long time ago i can always go back into management but let me explore my options first. Eventually time will tell.....
Oh, come on. You see whats ahead. Yet another round of management cuts. FT sups and managers looking for a nice place to land. You know you want to. Flatter myself? I don't need to, I have you around.

One question? Your moniker. Why the slick 1319?