What Does Your Manager Talk About Most?

vantexan

I wish I had a pithy answer for religion. I grew up in a family of ministers, but didn't become one myself. The theme that ran through my family was anger and violence, manifesting itself in a father who beat on my mother on occasion. And an older brother who beat the hell out of me regularly. My grandfather on the other hand was everything I wish I were. I stopped going to services many years ago, but never stopped believing. I've never been drunk, never tried illegal drugs, but am nowhere near perfect, not by a long shot. I guess life is a long process of trying to figure it out, and never quite understanding. And those who are certain they've got it right often are those who fall the hardest. But this I believe, if everyone tried to live by Christian principles to the best of their ability, what an amazing world we would live in. Something worth trying for.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I wish I had a pithy answer for religion. I grew up in a family of ministers, but didn't become one myself. The theme that ran through my family was anger and violence, manifesting itself in a father who beat on my mother on occasion. And an older brother who beat the hell out of me regularly. My grandfather on the other hand was everything I wish I were. I stopped going to services many years ago, but never stopped believing. I've never been drunk, never tried illegal drugs, but am nowhere near perfect, not by a long shot. I guess life is a long process of trying to figure it out, and never quite understanding. And those who are certain they've got it right often are those who fall the hardest. But this I believe, if everyone tried to live by Christian principles to the best of their ability, what an amazing world we would live in. Something worth trying for.
Well said, Van.

bacha29

Van: my childhood was in many ways similar. As as a result today I have a faith . What I don't have is a religion. Given the scores of people out there trying to make money off of religion is why I'm glad I don't. Some of them have been quite successful at it. Franklin Graham who took over his dad's company is being paid a half million bucks a year and has his own plane. Preaching a faith is one thing . What many so called "men of God" are selling today and that's right selling is nothing more than mind control.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Van: my childhood was in many ways similar. As as a result today I have a faith . What I don't have is a religion. Given the scores of people out there trying to make money off of religion is why I'm glad I don't. Some of them have been quite successful at it. Franklin Graham who took over his dad's company is being paid a half million bucks a year and has his own plane. Preaching a faith is one thing . What many so called "men of God" are selling today and that's right selling is nothing more than mind control.

My Dad has always said "religion is for those that need it".

He's right.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our TM tries to hide in his office as much as possible.

Yes, hiding is a favorite among many managers. At my station, most managers leave early and let Dispatch run the show. Even if they are on the premises, most won't answer the phone. One very senior ops manager comes in for the AM sort and disappears about 1230 every day. He won't even answer the phone if there's been an accident involving one of his couriers or an operational SNAFU. I really don't know how he keeps his job, and he's probably making 120k a year for doing nothing.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yes, hiding is a favorite among many managers. At my station, most managers leave early and let Dispatch run the show. Even if they are on the premises, most won't answer the phone. One very senior ops manager comes in for the AM sort and disappears about 1230 every day. He won't even answer the phone if there's been an accident involving one of his couriers or an operational SNAFU. I really don't know how he keeps his job, and he's probably making 120k a year for doing nothing.
Maybe next time one of these situations occur, the couriers in his workgroup should just call the district instead and tell 'em that he refuses to answer his phone.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
My Dad has always said "religion is for those that need it".

He's right.

He is right, without a doubt. Those who don't need it are the ones who enjoy being miserable because I don't know that I've ever met an atheist or agnostic over the age of 40 who was happy. They tend to be thin-skinned and combative about anything and everything, with a cynical tone of bitterness.

My hypothesis is that they shun religion and any deity because they're young and young people think they know it all anyway. They see religion as a tool for the weak and stupid and they are neither, having figured out the entire universe by the age of 19. Plus it's a drag to believe in a set of established moral standards when they prevent you from doing whatever you want. They chase whatever they see as happiness over the years and it eludes them or isn't as great as they thought it would be. It dawns on them that their lives are the peak of existence.

So yes, religion is for those of us who recognize that we're not in control of this universe and don't want happiness that's limited to what we can attain on this planet.

dvalleyjim

59 Dano is right. For many of us we are more than physical beings. We are also spiritual beings that goes beyond human understanding. I don't care if people call me weak because I depend on God. I don't go to church but I do believe and try to adhere to these beliefs. I also need to have a power greater than myself to get me through things. Someone to turn it over to. If this makes me weak, so be it. Not everyone is supposed to be spiritual.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He is right, without a doubt. Those who don't need it are the ones who enjoy being miserable because I don't know that I've ever met an atheist or agnostic over the age of 40 who was happy. They tend to be thin-skinned and combative about anything and everything, with a cynical tone of bitterness.

My hypothesis is that they shun religion and any deity because they're young and young people is no afterthink they know it all anyway. They see religion as a tool for the weak and stupid and they are neither, having figured out the entire universe by the age of 19. Plus it's a drag to believe in a set of established moral standards when they prevent you from doing whatever you want. They chase whatever they see as happiness over the years and it eludes them or isn't as great as they thought it would be. It dawns on them that their lives are the peak of existence.

So yes, religion is for those of us who recognize that we're not in control of this universe and don't want happiness that's limited to what we can attain on this planet.

As Marx said, "religion is the opiate of the masses". Your life IS the peak of your existence because there no afterlife as far as anyone knows. Religion is for those who need the crutch of either needing to be told what to do and how to think OR being unable to face the fact that once you die, you cease to exist, except in memory.

Please provide proof of God, an afterlife, or evidence that Christianity is correct, and that all of those "other" religions are wrong.

It sounds like you need religion Dano, because your mind is too weak to accept reality.

Serf

I can attest to this. Hiding is a managerial art form. Last week I saw an Ops Manager sitting shotgun in a Ford Van on the far side of the station while the sort was going on. Prob, Facebooking. As is being paged over the stations PA system several times for a phone call that they never answer. And the classic. The Senior is on the war path for some reason. Time to take a 2.5 hour lunch break to get out of sight.

outtatime

I can attest to this. Hiding is a managerial art form. Last week I saw an Ops Manager sitting shotgun in a Ford Van on the far side of the station while the sort was going on. Prob, Facebooking. As is being paged over the stations PA system several times for a phone call that they never answer. And the classic. The Senior is on the war path for some reason. Time to take a 2.5 hour lunch break to get out of sight.
Or the Senior forcing all the managers into the conference room EVERYDAY from 11am to 1pm to go over the previous days GAP reports with no phones allowed to be answered. Yes, the Senior is a real piece of work.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Or the Senior forcing all the managers into the conference room EVERYDAY from 11am to 1pm to go over the previous days GAP reports with no phones allowed to be answered. Yes, the Senior is a real piece of work.
I'm sure they're really making the company tons of money doing that.
latest

dex 84

Which in turn causes more gaps when couriers try to get into contact with their managers and can't because they're in the gap meeting.

59 Dano

As Marx said, "religion is the opiate of the masses". Your life IS the peak of your existence because there no afterlife as far as anyone knows. Religion is for those who need the crutch of either needing to be told what to do and how to think OR being unable to face the fact that once you die, you cease to exist, except in memory.

Please provide proof of God, an afterlife, or evidence that Christianity is correct, and that all of those "other" religions are wrong.

It sounds like you need religion Dano, because your mind is too weak to accept reality.

You probably don't see the irony in calling someone weak-minded in the same post where you've quoted Marx, do you?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You probably don't see the irony in calling someone weak-minded in the same post where you've quoted Marx, do you?

Just because Marx had some bad ideas doesn't preclude him from having some excellent ones. I notice you didn't answer any of my queries...because you can't.

Faith is for those who can't handle reality.

59 Dano

Just because Marx had some bad ideas doesn't preclude him from having some excellent ones. I notice you didn't answer any of my queries...because you can't.

Marx didn't just have bad ideas, his lunacy is the catalyst that created suffering and death unlike any other in the past 100 years.

The fact that I can't prove to you that God exists doesn't prove that He doesn't. Now prove to me that He doesn't exist.

Faith is for those who can't handle reality.

Oh, I handle it quite well. One of us is a miserable, bitter person filled with venom and Marxist-inspired silliness, and the other is me.