WHAT DRIVES YOU/ YOUR PKG CAR???

Savvy412

Ya op. I hear ya. I'm so lucky I have such a good understanding wife. I'm not even top rate and she's a stay at home mom. Well she works 2 days right now but about to quit . It's more hassle then what it's worth . But before driving we were sooo stressed trying to pay bills. So we now have enough where as long as we live within our means we're good . All bills are paid. ON TIME. We go out on the weekends. Ya I get home late. But normally I walk in the door at 730 and that's plenty of time to hang out. Watch tv.. Eat dinner... I would rather that then get home at 4 and make 30k a year

The weekdays fly so fast before ya know it, it's the weekend

Nike

Lets be real here. She should be more concerned about you running off with one of the presumably many girls on your route. You made the choice to get married young, making a lot of money and meeting many different women everyday could make that choice a tough one sometimes.

ChrisTheBrown

Lets be real here. She should be more concerned about you running off with one of the presumably many girls on your route. You made the choice to get married young, making a lot of money and meeting many different women everyday could make that choice a tough one sometimes.

I'm not that kind of a guy, though. On our wedding day, 8/15/15, I told her before God, friends & family that "I would love her & honor her-- until death do we part."
Those were more then just words to me. Sure, I do see some attractive women from time to time...As I'm sure she also sees what she may consider some attractive men, while at her place of employment..But our marriage is more then what many may consider just "a legal obligation" or whatever, between a man & a woman...It's, to us, a covenant rooted in our faith in Christ, that'll remain an unbreakable bond, which in that & that alone shall last throughout all Eternity!! Thanks for making me stop & remind myself of that, I know now that whether I'm driving a brown truck or digging a ditch, that she'll still love me the same. She's an absolute treasure & I would die for her in a heartbeat.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Sounds like you could use a few more stops if you have time to do that kind of stuff

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Let me see:

Lots of paid vacation.
Sick time.
Great pay.
No weekends.
Pension.
Medical-Dental

Sounds pretty good to me.

rod

Retired 22 years
My Dad always told me you can't live on love alone-----------------it takes money to live. (He was a smart man).

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
What drives you through out your career will vary. Early on it was the mental and physical challenge of the job and to prove you can do it. Now as I get closer to the end of my career, I just want to cross the finish line. I still go out every day to prove that I can do the job but it is to prove it to myself not management.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
1096.gif

What did I walk into here? I might have to go read some Current Event threads now.

AllOnTheHorses

The looming negative (for me) is that I don't believe much of a pension will be there when I am allowed to retire. There is no guarantee of a pension.

AllOnTheHorses

That.. and almost all day I am frustrated about people who order stuff but have no numbers on their houses.. or live in apartments and order furniture. I am definitely a short-timer.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
"There's more to life than money".

Try living without it for awhile and see how that works out.

I've been at the bottom, it's why I work the way I do, to make sure I never go back there.

Faceplanted

there is no law that says you have to have children. My wife and I made the decision not to years ago, she works, I work, we travel a lot, eat good, have nice things, enjoy each others time, and unlike 80% of my driving co workers, I'm not getting sad on a daily basis about missing a game, or some type of function. And my wife does not resent having to stay home all day taking care of dependents while I'm out all day working and interacting with tons of people. But hey... To each their own.

We both had dads who worked a lot, made great money and provided us a life, we both ended up screw ups due to the lack of having our dads around. Were lucky enough to not end up in jail or serious trouble, and don't want to keep the cycle going. We both encountered serious life problems, evil bad dark times and lucky to have made it out while watching friends get thrown in prison for serious crimes and becoming addicts....and I would go as far as to say having a one parent home had s lot to do with both of our issues. Don't be selfish, raising a child working at ups is no joke

Much respect to all who do, I would rather not. Nothing like having a big track meet/ big game/ school function or something and keep looking up into the stands looking for pops, but he's busy putting food in the table and saving for your college. It will cause subconcuous/underlying issues in the vast majority of kids.

Psa from your psych educated driver brother. If I wanted a family I would rather use my degree, take a pay cut and do what in my eyes is the best for a family.

No disrespect to anybody who does other, just stating how I feel about this issue.

Last edited:

nystripe96

This notion that drivers have to miss every function or big game our kids participate in simply isn't true. As drivers we get more vacation, optional and sick days than most employees can even dream of. All I know is that if my kid needs me to be there for him, I'll be there no matter what. Save your days for when you need them most. If you run out of days, take them anyway.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When my kids were growing up they both knew that Dad would not be able to make all of their games and came to appreciate those times when I was there. There were times when they had afternoon games that I would take my meal break and watch part of their game. Very rarely would I take a day off just to make sure that I would be there for their game.