What else can they do torture us?

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
...Example- Sales leads. Sales lady gives speech at PCM about getting leads. I asked her, all the while ignoring the penetrating stare from the side, if we can't service the customers we have, how can we-in good faith- tell new customers that we would be the best option?...
Sales leads...One of my pet peeves also. center manager comes to me and asks "Why haven't you turned in a sales lead?"...My response is "Why should I turn in a sales lead when I'm already working 55 hour weeks?" My last 3 center manager's have asked me this question and I haven't had one give me a response. They just turn and walk away.
....As people we do not exist, we are objects for their disposal and nothing more...
Well said. That is UPS in a nutshell. "Fire the overpaid drivers and hire temps until 2013"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
THere are some very good managers and supervisors that understand and will work on issues... and I would guess somewhere down the line, ONE? would stand up to ridiculous demands such as drivers not being able to have water available in the cab of their truck.

Maybe I am wrong?

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I am fine with not having my drink in the cab, as long as UPS is not going to be upset with my going into the back the package car to open my lunchbox to get my water. My time spent in the rear of the package car will increase and my sporh will fall.

Also since its hotter in the back of the PC, I will need to drink more because this will cause me to sweat even more.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am fine with not having my drink in the cab, as long as UPS is not going to be upset with my going into the back the package car to open my lunchbox to get my water. My time spent in the rear of the package car will increase and my sporh will fall.

Also since its hotter in the back of the PC, I will need to drink more because this will cause me to sweat even more.
Not to mention keeping water cold in the back is all but impossible. I would have to stop more often to get fresh cold water. I have a 1/2 gallon insulated jug that I hang from the seat frame (over the seat belt latch). It does pretty good keeping ice but if I put it in back the ice doesn't last nearly as long.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Update: They aren't enforcing this after all, as of yet anyway. In the past I have found posting about their ridiculous antics here to be an effective way to communicate with them. Maybe it worked this time too.

The whole thing was an over-reaction by someone, somewhere, who knows nothing about running a company or managing people. They are freaked because we had 7 tiers 3s in a very short time period, like six weeks. Not my center but district wide I think. Of course it must be because of in cab distractions, so now the on cars are doing nothing but following drivers.

Sorry guys, for airing your dirty panties here, but you are so unavailable and things are so ridiculous you leave me no choice.

These are reactions by ppl in panic mode who don't want to face the truth. Like firing off warning letters and suspensions in rapid succession. They want to blame us hourlies and lower level management for the fall out from the crap they've pulled.

I've posted about this in the past. Perhaps someone is listening now?

You can't just overhaul the way you manage an entire company on a whim, because some stupid plan seems to be working for a center manager in Georgia. Do a little research. Something like 80% of "re-toolings" like this fail.

You press down hard enough, long enough on anything and it will eventually crack. The accidents and other failures are a direct result of pressure, of an insane attempt to control what should simply be managed. You are trying to control everything, it's having devastating consequences, keep it up and eventually you will ruin it completely.

The overhaul needs to start at the top.

Capiche?

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
The crappy economy has a lot to do with it. It's freaking them out. They are trying to innovate and it's just not gonna work. Everybody is going to have to settle for less. Keep being greedy and you'll ruin it for us all. You need to chill, do some things the old way for a while, and suck it up. Quit trying to control everything, or you WILL lose control of it all.

Someone is going to learn the hard way: Karma can be a real bitch.

IMO the best move now is keep what we have. Get off my &€€ about sales leads and clean this act up so we can get some of the volume back.

P.S. If you really want to fix the problems don't announce your comings and goings. If all you want is a dog & pony show, that's what you'll get.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I wonder if the same unrealistic demands are put on the security people at air ports, like screening so many pph, and the mar is what 1 bomb, in 1 million pkgs is acceptable, HA.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I agree with you on your statement except for above. No matter how big the jerk management is the driver is ultimately responsible for whatever they do in their vehicle.

True. Let me put it another way. The in cab distraction is actually an in-head distraction. Management could easily help with this one.

I'm not talking local management either. I'm talking whoever is hatching these kooky ideas.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Well it's time for them to stop acting all puzzled about what's happening and fix it. The problem lies where the decisions are made.

If they really cared what was going on they wouldn't announce audits, visits, etc.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I wonder if the same unrealistic demands are put on the security people at air ports, like screening so many pph, and the mar is what 1 bomb, in 1 million pkgs is acceptable, HA.

They care so much about safety and security that they farm this out. Subcontract. Call it what you will. It's a joke.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
. The accidents and other failures are a direct result of pressure, of an insane attempt to control what should simply be managed. You are trying to control everything, it's having devastating consequences, keep it up and eventually you will ruin it completely.

The overhaul needs to start at the top.

That statement needs to be mounted on a plaque above the door of UPS corporate headquarters in Atlanta.

Griff

THere are some very good managers and supervisors that understand and will work on issues... and I would guess somewhere down the line, ONE? would stand up to ridiculous demands such as drivers not being able to have water available in the cab of their truck.

Maybe I am wrong?

That person would be demoted or terminated. UPS treats low and middle management even worse than hourlies. I've seen center managers demoted and transferred out to undesirable locations for failing to "work as instructed". Very few of them actually get terminated and when they do they just frame them for falsifying information or documents.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
There's a line somewhere between the takers and the givers in this company. I want to find the two people closest to that line on each side and have a talk with them. I have seen part time sups fired, full time sups too, division managers fired and demoted. They put someone really not qualified in a powerful position and let them run with it until they self destruct. It's really unfair, and I don't get why people fall for it. Its like they don't even realize they're being used for pawns. I want to know who is making these decisions about my company.