What happened after the 97 strike was over?

MAKAVELI

I agree with Orion. But here's the thing. Go to the FedEx forum and read about them Bitc*ing and moaning about the pay. And how they would love to work at UPS. They wouldn't stick it out for 4 years to get to top pay. No one in their right mind would do this job on 4 year progression. It takes someone with a special work ethic to be willing to wait four years. These kids today don't have that ethic. The drivers on the new contract are already crying at my building about having to wait 4 years. Its a long wait to make good money while your body gets beat to hell
Working for Express, I could tell you the 4 year progression does not scare anyone from jumping over to UPS. We have no wage progression and the thought of being topped out in 4 years would be a wet dream. The issue for most of us that would like to work for UPS comes down to the wait for a full-time driving position.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
There were several picket line crossers in my feeder department as well. A majority of the other drivers refused to communicate with them afterward and don't to this day. There were probably some scattered examples of retribution by a few individuals. The line crossers had to double check their couples if they left their sight. I don't know about PC, but feeder drivers have long memories. I walked the picket lines for over a week, then I found some work the union hall fixed me up with for a couple of days, then it was settled.

ManInBrown

Working for Express, I could tell you the 4 year progression does not scare anyone from jumping over to UPS. We have no wage progression and the thought of being topped out in 4 years would be a wet dream. The issue for most of us that would like to work for UPS comes down to the wait for a full-time driving position.
That's what they all say. Till you get punched in the face with a Bricked out 10 cube every day and a Return home ETA of 9PM 3-5 nights a week, every week of the year. I've seen the inside of an express driver's sprinter first thing in the morning. It's pretty comical.

PT Car Washer

There were several picket line crossers in my feeder department as well. A majority of the other drivers refused to communicate with them afterward and don't to this day. There were probably some scattered examples of retribution by a few individuals. The line crossers had to double check their couples if they left their sight. I don't know about PC, but feeder drivers have long memories. I walked the picket lines for over a week, then I found some work the union hall fixed me up with for a couple of days, then it was settled.
Why did you need the work? Most of us looked at it as an extra vacation. No Feeder drivers crossed in my building.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
How were the ones that crossed the picket line treated by hourlies that didn't when the strike was over. I know it's a personal decision and everyone has to do whats right for them but I couldn't imagine crossing the picket line. Wouldn't be for me.
I heard some of the line crossers aka Scabs had some issues with there cars
just what I heard

PT Car Washer

I heard some of the line crossers aka Scabs had some issues with there cars
just what I heard
Not that I ever heard of. But I am sure if any scab ever had a flat tire or a car issue they would think back to when they crossed the line and wonder if this was reason. Even years later.

MAKAVELI

That's what they all say. Till you get punched in the face with a Bricked out 10 cube every day and a Return home ETA of 9PM 3-5 nights a week, every week of the year. I've seen the inside of an express driver's sprinter first thing in the morning. It's pretty comical.
Yes you are right, most FedEx drivers wouldn't switch because of the workload. But the ones who would, wouldn't mind the 4 year progression. Your full-time starting wage is about the same as a 10 year driver at Express. Btw there are routes in metro areas that do well over 100 stops a day. Its all about route density. Your routes are more condensed and you do both air and ground. If we did both, I guarantee you our trucks would be bricked out just the same.

SCV good to go sir.

What was it before the current 4 year progression?

Maybe it's because I just became a cover driver but 4 years doesn't seem too bad, considering how many jobs don't have guaranteed raises. My buddy has to fight tooth and nail to get a raise. Plus the road from journeyman to a true master of a craft takes a few years (from the people that I've talked to that have been in their respective crafts long enough), so under that light I get top rate around the same time I master the job. I'm ok with that (especially after slaving away in the sausagefest hub for over 6 years).

ManInBrown

What was it before the current 4 year progression?

Maybe it's because I just became a cover driver but 4 years doesn't seem too bad, considering how many jobs don't have guaranteed raises. My buddy has to fight tooth and nail to get a raise. Plus the road from journeyman to a true master of a craft takes a few years (from the people that I've talked to that have been in their respective crafts long enough), so under that light I get top rate around the same time I master the job. I'm ok with that (especially after slaving away in the sausagefest hub for over 6 years).
3 years. Then I believe 18 months before that

image.jpg
In my feeder department the scabs are blacklisted out of sleeper runs. The only way a scab can run a sleeper is if they win a bid. They are never asked to cover when someone is on vacation.

We had a scab win a run a few years ago. His codriver got blacklisted and whenever one of them was on vacation they had to put the whole run up for bid or contractor had to run it. It was understood that if anyone covered for the scabs they'd be blacklisted by the other drivers.

Some of the top hands still don't talk to a few of the scabs in our department.

YellowSox

I agree with Orion. But here's the thing. Go to the FedEx forum and read about them Bitc*ing and moaning about the pay. And how they would love to work at UPS. They wouldn't stick it out for 4 years to get to top pay. No one in their right mind would do this job on 4 year progression. It takes someone with a special work ethic to be willing to wait four years. These kids today don't have that ethic. The drivers on the new contract are already crying at my building about having to wait 4 years. Its a long wait to make good money while your body gets beat to hell
Less than 3 more years to go for me :) .

10 point

The trucks were loaded to the gills and they laid off all they could in our building.
Vindictive. It wasn't our fault. They picked the fight and they knew it.

I saw it was tough on loyal customers who were patient for 15 days only to be treated poorly again when it was over.

It was a sorry situation for them.

ManInBrown

I ignore the scabs.

If we are caught verbally abusing them, we would be in trouble.

Most just ignore the 2 or 3 left in my building.

It's sort of strange, like they are blackballed.

Justice, if you ask me.

I gotta ask somebody Monday if we have any scab drivers in our center. Never thought about that. That would suck if by accident I asked a scab though. I'll ask Stewart. No way is he a scab

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They beat us like dogs when we returned. All they kept saying is volumes down.
Like dogs with tails between their legs.
Just like Johnny Reb after the war ... traitors accepted back but NORMAl was changed forever.
Ron's goofy contract with America that never got implemented.
Now UPS treats it's Union employees like dogs.