What happened after the 97 strike was over?

ManInBrown

Their are still a few I don't know names of. I usually show up 10 minutes before start time. Don't chat a lot. Talk to same 1 or 2 drivers every morning. Thats about it

Grey

There are scabs in our center that I've heard stories about and get treated well. I think one of them lost his young daughter around that time so ppl are respectful about it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
They keep it covered up.
200Z0BSY407.gif

DOK

How were the ones that crossed the picket line treated by hourlies that didn't when the strike was over. I know it's a personal decision and everyone has to do whats right for them but I couldn't imagine crossing the picket line. Wouldn't be for me.

The ones that crossed became supervisors around here.

rod

Retired 22 years
No one crossed at my old center. Management did put on a good show driving around with empty package cars trying to make it look like it was business as usual. I know the few times some manager drove a feeder up from Minneapolis ( we knew they were empty because we had an inside spy) they were met by the local law enforcement to make sure they had a CDL and all that other BS. (Our local law enforcement just happened to be Teamsters also). After the strike was settled they slowly called us back to work. Those that were working racked up a ton of hours.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We talk to each other, but there are definitely groups that hang around one another like in highschool. We have the "go home" crew that scheme on how to get the day off. We have the "old guy crew" that are ready to retire but can't so they talk to one another about the reasons why. We have the "friendly crew" who talk to anyone that will listen to them for more than 5 mins before trying to escape. We have the "safety crew" (a sub group of "go home" crew) that act like safety is important as long as they can hang urinal reading material for 8hrs instead of driving. The "union crew" who cares nothing for politics or deal making, only that the contract is followed, by both sides.

Those are just a few examples mind you.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
So those that are still working bring up Orion as a cure all and say another strike now won't happen because of it. I know nothing about Orion other than what I read on here and from that I can't imagine how it would prevent another strike. Someone inform me on what I'm missing. From what I read on here it sounds like Orion does more harm than good.

rod

Retired 22 years
We talk to each other, but there are defiantly groups that hang around one another like in highschool. We have the "go home" crew that scheme on how to get the day off. We have the "old guy crew" that are ready to retire but can't so they talk to one another about the reasons why. We have the "friendly crew" who talk to anyone that will listen to them for more than 5 mins before trying to escape. We have the "safety crew" (a sub group of "go home" crew) that act like safety is important as long as they can hang urinal reading material for 8hrs instead of driving. The "union crew" who cares nothing for politics or deal making, only that the contract is followed, by both sides.

You must have a "suck up" crew. Every center has those----even the BOG.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So those that are still working bring up Orion as a cure all and say another strike now won't happen because of it. I know nothing about Orion other than what I read on here and from that I can't imagine how it would prevent another strike. Someone inform me on what I'm missing. From what I read on here it sounds like Orion does more harm than good.
To keep it simple, ORION, much like other "enhancements" have caused an excuse to load the vehicles up with more stops, more pieces, and long days. While this sounds great while everything runs good, now smaller events that would otherwise be absorbed better, now can't as we are at the overflow point. As volume has increased, the labor involved hasn't at the same rate. A strike in the future would be even more devastating as the labor is smaller in number in comparison to the packages, and all the enhancements still rely on the driver showing up.

ManInBrown

We talk to each other, but there are defiantly groups that hang around one another like in highschool. We have the "go home" crew that scheme on how to get the day off. We have the "old guy crew" that are ready to retire but can't so they talk to one another about the reasons why. We have the "friendly crew" who talk to anyone that will listen to them for more than 5 mins before trying to escape. We have the "safety crew" (a sub group of "go home" crew) that act like safety is important as long as they can hang urinal reading material for 8hrs instead of driving. The "union crew" who cares nothing for politics or deal making, only that the contract is followed, by both sides.

Best post in thread. Same cliques here. The safety crew description is classic.

rod

Retired 22 years
To keep it simple, ORION, much like other "enhancements" have caused an excuse to load the vehicles up with more stops, more pieces, and long days. While this sounds great while everything runs good, now smaller events that would otherwise be absorbed better, now can't as we are at the overflow point. As volume has increased, the labor involved hasn't at the same rate. A strike in the future would be even more devastating as the labor is smaller in number in comparison to the packages, and all the enhancements still rely on the driver showing up.

Its good to know they haven't figured out a way to take the threat of a strike out of the contract negotiation process. Its just my opinion but it seemed like last contract would have been an excellent one to play that card.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Its good to know they haven't figured out a way to take the threat of a strike out of the contract negotiation process. Its just my opinion but it seemed like last contract would have been an excellent one to play that card.
The problem is in this competitive environment neither side wants to upset the apple cart. As much as UPS would hate to admit it, it takes a certain type of person to do what we do with today's workload. Not to discount what you and your generation went through with the tools you had, but today the days are longer, the trucks are fuller, and the demand for production greater. People say they could hire guys to do our jobs for $15 an hour, but they wouldn't stay and they wouldn't get the production that get now out of them.