What happened after the 97 strike was over?

rod

Retired 22 years
The problem is in this competitive environment neither side wants to upset the apple cart. As much as UPS would hate to admit it, it takes a certain type of person to do what we do with today's workload. Not to discount what you and your generation went through with the tools you had, but today the days are longer, the trucks are fuller, and the demand for production greater. People say they could hire guys to do our jobs for $15 an hour, but they wouldn't stay and they wouldn't get the production that get now out of them.

I've told many people over the last ten years that I couldn't/wouldn't be a UPS driver the way it is today. I think one of the main reasons is when I was working we were a close knit group who worked together, played together, stood up to management together, and basically look out for each other. From what I see going on at my old center now its every man for himself.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I ignore the scabs.

If we are caught verbally abusing them, we would be in trouble.

Most just ignore the 2 or 3 left in my building.

It's sort of strange, like they are blackballed.

Justice, if you ask me.

Uh huh. Justice, if we ask you.

But if we ask you, you would put in charge, the politicians that would make a mockery of any picket line we ever conceived.

Convenient, how you find comfort on both sides of the battle lines. I feel for the the Teamsters who listen to your "honest" views.

Dracula

No one crossed in our small center but most of us pt low on seniority was laid off almost a whole year

But what you did had nothing to do with what UPS did. If they needed to lay you off, the strike was an easy excuse for them.

It's never easy, but it sounds like you people stood strong. Kentucky strong, it sounds like.

Bottom rung

Orion in it's current form would never prevent a strike. It's useless as it is now. All it would do is confuse the scabs that took our place and be shut off because even management knows that it makes the job harder than what it should be. Scare tactics. Laid by the fear mongers.

Dracula

I had twin 4 year olds and one 9. Never considered working or needed the money. After 6 months I might have started to worry. Nobody in my building crossed although some were getting itchy after a few days.

I still have pictures of my 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son walking the picket lines with us. They laugh when they see the pictures, but they still have no concept of what a strike is.

Good for them.

Dracula

We talk to each other, but there are definitely groups that hang around one another like in highschool. We have the "go home" crew that scheme on how to get the day off. We have the "old guy crew" that are ready to retire but can't so they talk to one another about the reasons why. We have the "friendly crew" who talk to anyone that will listen to them for more than 5 mins before trying to escape. We have the "safety crew" (a sub group of "go home" crew) that act like safety is important as long as they can hang urinal reading material for 8hrs instead of driving. The "union crew" who cares nothing for politics or deal making, only that the contract is followed, by both sides.

Those are just a few examples mind you.

If you ever go to feeders, those "crews", get back together. Or, they do here, anyway...

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
All employees kept their jobs.
The ones that crossed the line were treated very fairly by management because management realized the Union would not represent them as required by law.
Many picket crossers that had accidents were not given warning or suspension letters to show thanks.

The drivers in my building that crossed the line were very low seniority and their "reward" when the strike was over was being forced to work two part time shifts as they were not needed for a while on the road. It was great hearing the SCABS whine and moan about it

Dracula

We have a BIG feeder seniority list. There are three scab drivers on our list. As I said earlier, they are pretty weird, unsociable guys anyway. But a few times a year, someone will scribble their scab, nicknames on the seniority list, just so they know we still remember.

Yep, we may be dumb truck drivers, but we have crystal clear memories.

542thruNthru

We talk to each other, but there are definitely groups that hang around one another like in highschool. We have the "go home" crew that scheme on how to get the day off. We have the "old guy crew" that are ready to retire but can't so they talk to one another about the reasons why. We have the "friendly crew" who talk to anyone that will listen to them for more than 5 mins before trying to escape. We have the "safety crew" (a sub group of "go home" crew) that act like safety is important as long as they can hang urinal reading material for 8hrs instead of driving. The "union crew" who cares nothing for politics or deal making, only that the contract is followed, by both sides.

Those are just a few examples mind you.

Same thing here with the little groups. Only difference is the safety crew comes in early and loads their trucks on the clock. They get in early everyday because they have perfect loads and try and convince everyone it's because they are better drivers.

Side note: upstate still hasn't realized this is why he beats his route by an hour average a week. Anyone could when they load the truck stop for stop.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The drivers in my building that crossed the line were very low seniority and their "reward" when the strike was over was being forced to work two part time shifts as they were not needed for a while on the road. It was great hearing the SCABS whine and moan about it
You are a sadistical bastard!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I agree with Orion. But here's the thing. Go to the FedEx forum and read about them Bitc*ing and moaning about the pay. And how they would love to work at UPS. They wouldn't stick it out for 4 years to get to top pay. No one in their right mind would do this job on 4 year progression. It takes someone with a special work ethic to be willing to wait four years. These kids today don't have that ethic. The drivers on the new contract are already crying at my building about having to wait 4 years. Its a long wait to make good money while your body gets beat to hell

I would have been all over 4 yr progression. I started as a full time cover (used to be called --casual) took me 10 yrs for full time. With no vacation sick or rover days. Your right. It is a special breed who can stick it out.