What happened in Erie, Pa.?

beentheredonethat

is 17 pounds the average that we get per box...ummm I think Im getting screwed. Something else I have been curious about is drive speed, can there be a variance if your driving in business parks and dock areas most of the day in which case your going 15-20 mph. Is speed manually put into a route allowance or is everybody the same. Also, if you have a dock route and have to wait longer on average for people to open the dock and answer the bell can there be a variance for that. maybe p-man can comment, sorry to change the direction of the post!

For mileage\drive speed. there are two types of mileage for your allowance. The first is the to\fr allowance. Which is basically what amount of time and miles does it take to get you to your work area and back to your ctr. This is based on the delivery area you deliver to. If you deliver to more then one, then it uses the farthest delivery area for this, even if you start in the closest. (there were lots of reasons for this)... The time allowance is basically using the MPH for speed limit and it also throws in delays if during typical drive time you would encounter red lights, 2 way stop signs etc. Once this miles and times are calculated the rest of the miles you drove is your on area miles. The on area miles take into account the time to start and stop the car and travel from stop to stop. Picture a route that is pretty rural and the on area miles is 60 miles, The driver delv 100 stops that were all DR and had only 5 pickups. Well you can imagine that the driver avg's .6 miles between stops and most likely has quite a few stops close together and then quite a few where he would drive quite a few miles to get to the stops. For this the driver isn't given a lot of time for on area per mile, since there would be a lot of time driving at or near the speed limit and not a lot of starting\stopping. Another driver drives 6 miles on area and also has 100 delv stops. But his is all business, with multiple pkgs per stops and all signatures. For this driver, he doesn't drive far between stops so would often be starting and stopping and never getting to regular speeds. Per mile, the allowance is high. (It's called by a lot of the old IE people as the great on area travel curve. ) I hope you get the idea, but I would have to spend hours to go into the nitty gritty on it. Is it perfect 100% of time, no, but it does work out to give the avg driver a fair on area allowance. Usually from my history doing time studies, the on area travel is where most drivers were scratch or paid under. The selet process is where most drivers lost time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The perfect combination of dishonesty and stupidity. Take a look at the GTS vehicle reports. If the start mileage today is lower than the end mileage yesterday, you're busted. I hate to see people get fired, but if your stupid enough lie or cheat when its documented you ask for it.

work as directed.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
All all things are built into the system, all stops have allowance for wait time. So if you have a buzzer to get in a gate or door, and no one answers for 4 minutes, 1) you will get a complaint if you dont wait, in which case it is your fault for being rude and
2) You should have waited 3 minutes
3) that allowance is built in for waiting, so you just suck all day long somewhere else where you didnt work fast enough.
I like PMAN, his answers are always good, but the answers I got on our new GPS time study were not convincing? But then I could be wrong.
And it is still your fault you are a slug.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
All all things are built into the system, all stops have allowance for wait time. So if you have a buzzer to get in a gate or door, and no one answers for 4 minutes, 1) you will get a complaint if you dont wait, in which case it is your fault for being rude and
2) You should have waited 3 minutes
3) that allowance is built in for waiting, so you just suck all day long somewhere else where you didnt work fast enough.
I like PMAN, his answers are always good, but the answers I got on our new GPS time study were not convincing? But then I could be wrong.
And it is still your fault you are a slug.

true, I think if you have multiple stops where your waiting after you a bell your doomed..another thing where there is a ton of time being lost are apartments...as far as I know they have the same allowance..yeah thats fair driver 1 walks up to a house and leaves the pkg...driver 2 walks 3 flights of stairs to an apt..knock..wait...make out notice...walk down 3 flights of stairs..go to mgr..you get the idea. And since we lost time per piece it seems if you have multiple bulk stops you lost big time even if your getting some help from the customer...

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Yes there are: For instance: "Joe, deliver this NDA package full of meth to my cousin at 123 Paranoid Lane (Illegal) Or "Joe, we'll meet you on road at the Heartbreak Hotel on Lonely Ave to use your truck's interior for a quick adult film shoot. (Immoral) Or, Joe, " You'll have to use that P-10 with the bad brakes today.. It's OK you should be fine." (Unsafe)
I dont think there are ANY directions that come from mgt that are illegal or immoral...wouldnt you agree???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yes there are: For instance: "Joe, deliver this NDA package full of meth to my cousin at 123 Paranoid Lane (Illegal) Or "Joe, we'll meet you on road at the Heartbreak Hotel on Lonely Ave to use your truck's interior for a quick adult film shoot. (Immoral) Or, Joe, " You'll have to use that P-10 with the bad brakes today.. It's OK you should be fine." (Unsafe)

I was only trying to get at upstate.....no comment about management...

Raw

Raw Member
Even if that direction is illegal or immoral?
I am instructed to do questionable things from management. I report it to the union stewards ASAP and have the OMS print out the instructions that were sent to me via diad and keep with me in case anything comes up about it. CYA!!:wink2:

browniehound

I dont think there are ANY directions that come from mgt that are illegal or immoral...wouldnt you agree???

Illegal? No, I never got an instruction from management to ever do anything illegal. Immoral? I don't know and I don't care as long as its not going to cost me my job.

Illegal is black and white, while many grey areas exist with morals. Its too convoluted to discuss or even ponder. Who the hell is anyone to tell me about morality? Its too subjective. Me eating a pig is fine with me, but immoral in the eyes of the next guy.

My opinion is to get off your high moral horse and keep it to yourself. We are all human and all make mistakes, so take your high moral ground and go make love to yourself. While your doing that, say hi for me to all the other bone-heads that think they are "holy-er" than thou. You all make me sick for the simple fact that you think most of us are pieces of crap.

We might be, but if we are, then so are you. The difference is I don't go around pointing it out or believe myself that you are.

Sorry for the rant and I apologize in advance if I hurt anyone's feelings,

Browniehound

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

work as directed.

Even if that direction is illegal or immoral?

Illegal? No, I never got an instruction from management to ever do anything illegal. Immoral? I don't know and I don't care as long as its not going to cost me my job.

Illegal is black and white, while many grey areas exist with morals. Its too convoluted to discuss or even ponder. Who the hell is anyone to tell me about morality? Its too subjective. Me eating a pig is fine with me, but immoral in the eyes of the next guy.

My opinion is to get off your high moral horse and keep it to yourself. We are all human and all make mistakes, so take your high moral ground and go make love to yourself. While your doing that, say hi for me to all the other bone-heads that think they are "holy-er" than thou. You all make me sick for the simple fact that you think most of us are pieces of crap.

We might be, but if we are, then so are you. The difference is I don't go around pointing it out or believe myself that you are.

Sorry for the rant and I apologize in advance if I hurt anyone's feelings,

Browniehound

Padding miles is falsification of records and the center manager who directed the drivers to do so deserved to lose his job. The drivers involved should have also been disciplined as they knew full well what they were doing.

Brownie, I don't know where this rant came from but it was totally inappropriate IMO.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Padding miles is falsification of records and the center manager who directed the drivers to do so deserved to lose his job. The drivers involved should have also been disciplined as they knew full well what they were doing.

Brownie, I don't know where this rant came from but it was totally inappropriate IMO.

How about if the center manger was instructed to have the drivers pad their miles or if he was placed under undue pressure? When the blind eye it turned to practices that that are known violations of policy, it's being supported from higher up.

Pretrip, DVIR, padded miles, hand to surface methods, unreported accident damage, cell phones, open bulk head doors, left in building violations are regular occurrences that are known by everyone with eyes in their head. Not addressing the issue is the same as supporting it.

UPSSOCKS

It'a very clear no one here knows the details of actually what happened in Erie. Depending on who is telling the truth, someone if not everyone deserved to lose their job, hourly and management.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Integrity and UPS are as compatible as BP oil and Gulf of Mexico water.

Now I see what you meant about FedEx not having a monopoly on the falsification/management integrity issues. I'll give you 1 guess as to where about half our managers came from. Productivity always trumps honesty and ethics.

tarbar66

It'a very clear no one here knows the details of actually what happened in Erie. Depending on who is telling the truth, someone if not everyone deserved to lose their job, hourly and management.

My main source of news back in the day were feeder drivers and car washers. I guess none of them from Erie are on BC.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't think that a driver padding his miles is wrong if the center manager instructed the driver to do so. It's the same thing as an inside employee being instructed to walk around the building 12 times with a pallette jack and not doing anything with it. (this is something others have accused me of LOL) Should the employee be reprimanded for working as directed in this case of futility also? Not in my opinion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think that a driver padding his miles is wrong if the center manager instructed the driver to do so. It's the same thing as an inside employee being instructed to walk around the building 12 times with a pallette jack and not doing anything with it. (this is something others have accused me of LOL) Should the employee be reprimanded for working as directed in this case of futility also? Not in my opinion.

The only time I could see adding miles is if the odometer is not working properly. I would make sure that this has been documented before doing so. Beyond that, falsifying because you are told to is still falsifying.