What happened in the 2008 contract??

package

I know we are in the middle of a contract, but every time I think about our current contract, it puts a sour taste in my mouth and I can't help but wonder, why did we get the shaft?

-no part time benefits for 12months/18 months for dependents.
-no paid holidays for new people for first 12 months.
-top rate for drivers now takes 36 months instead of 24 months.
-no COLA in 08

and then there is the pay increases.. they are cut into two halves which costs the average part timer around 200-250$ a year, or full timer probably around 600 a year.

from the 97 contract and on when you take inflation into account the average raise for part timers was over a 1$, in this contract it is less than .80 cents a year when you take into account the spit raises. also, the raise in February is not guaranteed.

I know it varies from center to center, but in our building hours have been cut. We are doing the same volume we did in 2007 (somedays a little more, some days a little less) and yet we are getting about 15% less time. We have had a flood of new employees because they are dirt cheap since they don't get insurance and most wont since it seems like the majority of new people don't even last more than 12 months.

I understand why UPS was satisfied with the agreement, but why the hell did the Teamsters tell us this was a great victory?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I know we are in the middle of a contract, but every time I think about our current contract, it puts a sour taste in my mouth and I can't help but wonder, why did we get the shaft?

-no COLA in 08

and then there is the pay increases.. they are cut into two halves which costs the average part timer around 200-250$ a year, or full timer probably around 600 a year.

from the 97 contract and on when you take inflation into account the average raise for part timers was over a 1$, in this contract it is less than .80 cents a year when you take into account the spit raises. also, the raise in February is not guaranteed.

I know it varies from center to center, but in our building hours have been cut. We are doing the same volume we did in 2007 (somedays a little more, some days a little less) and yet we are getting about 15% less time. We have had a flood of new employees because they are dirt cheap since they don't get insurance and most wont since it seems like the majority of new people don't even last more than 12 months.

I understand why UPS was satisfied with the agreement, but why the hell did the Teamsters tell us this was a great victory?
Because UPS bailed out central states. That was a huge bargaining chip, and there was no way the teamsters could walk away from it and justify it to the membership. UPS, of course, wanted a few things in return and they got them.

A

anonymous6

Give and take, hindsight is 20/20, can't make everyone happy all the time,

Pick a cleashea!!

I didn't know cleashea was spelled that way. you learn somting new every day.

OP , just take the money and shut up or we'll bring over a bunch of those pakistanis that'll work for half pay.

thatsa a coming in 2013.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy

-no COLA in 08

One reason its name is Hoffa.

Billy

What happened was...we voted "yes" on it.

not me. in fact, my area voted no to it overwhelmingly. I am not surprised that it passed when the rest of the company voted yes. I am surprised however, that the supplement passed when we voted no to that too. Oh well, it's better than a strike. I couldn't afford to feed my crew on that pay ( but I would do it if necessary )

Cezanne

I am trying to remember if the International ever said that the 2008-2013 contract was a "great victory." In reality that was said during the 2003-2008 contract (best contract ever) as I remember. I believe they only endorsed it and made sure the bootlicking locals campaigned for it's passage. I still recall the CD that was sent around with Hoffa, Hall and the union attorney explaining the final contract, particularly about the Central States buyout. None of them had the expression of glee on their faces, in fact it looked like a bloody funeral. Again the vast majority of the membership followed orders and drank the kool-aid, even knowing that they had 8 additional months to negotiate another contract if this one failed to pass. It was ALL about the pension reform act of 2006, too much liability with the underfunded pension plans for the union and the company to prolong it past December. I at least have the personal satisfaction that I voted NO! NO! and NO! for what it is worth. :whiteflag:

raceanoncr

To the OP, welcome to BC, if you ever come back.

Not to belabor the bad vs good parts of the contract and not to stomp on you but were you at proposal meetings? Are you at general meetings? Do you take an active part in union activities, such as getting to know your steward or contract language?

I've said before on here and to those faces that REALLY bad-mouth everything IN the contract: "Did you even vote?" Believe me, we got em. Never set foot in the hall for ANY meetings but they sure know everything there is to know about what they don't like and what shouldn't have passed.

Just asking.

Dustyroads

To those drivers in the Central States fund, it reinstated the 30 and out rule for the pension. Prior to this contract, early retirement, that is, prior to age 62, had been basically eliminated. Many drivers in the Central States would have had to work 40 years to be able to retire without penalty. So, in that small respect, it was an improvement for some.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I am in the central states. In that area it was way more than a small victory, I was one of those that would have had to work 43 years to gain my pension that would have taken 30 years before the financial meltdown. I am very happy to have the 30 and out back, as well as the earlier options.

All in all it was definately a big gain for those of us here, that being said, there are alot of little things(non monetary even) that were lost in the latest contract. I am just saying...

drewed

Shankman
Wouldnt the central states have gone completely bankrupt in the meltdown of the last 2 years if it werent for UPS pumping billions into the fund?

Overpaid Union Thug

It doesn't matter how good a contract is if management doesn't honor it. Look at whats happened with 22.3 jobs, laid off drivers while helpers work, and unwarranted warning letters and terminations. These are the things that make me sick to my stomach.

raceanoncr

Come on Larry, even you have to admit some of it sucks!!!

Yeah, I do have to admit that ALOT of it sucks! BUT! I was there. At every proposal meeting, at every general meeting that I can (ain't gonna go next Sun cuz of being outta town) and, as you know, am now in a more responsible position in the building to help bring some order back and some interpretation back.

I know it sucks but here, HERE, the biggest bitchers are the ones you never see at meets but they seem to know the MOST about what went on! Or so they think

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Yeah, I do have to admit that ALOT of it sucks! BUT! I was there. At every proposal meeting, at every general meeting that I can (ain't gonna go next Sun cuz of being outta town) and, as you know, am now in a more responsible position in the building to help bring some order back and some interpretation back.

I know it sucks but here, HERE, the biggest bitchers are the ones you never see at meets but they seem to know the MOST about what went on! Or so they think

Amen to that!!