what happened??????

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I just want to be treated with dignity, maybe even a little respect. They can't buy the right to treat us any other way.

BrownTie

Almost 20 years with UPS, I too have seen the change, the culture of then and now. I remember when I got promoted that my ultimate goal was to move up with the company. Now, I just go with the flow. Many Supervisors are no longer interested in being a Manager. Drivers are no longer interested in becoming On-Road Sups. It is sad to see a company whose culture shifted 180 degrees. Good luck to all.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
....Just wondering if there are other management people out there who have somewhat lost the leader they once were in this current environment for survival sake????

It is truly unfortunate that management people such as yourself cannot belong to your own "white collar" union that would afford you some level of job security.

You cant succeed....if your only goal is to survive.

24 years ago when I started, I worked for (and respected) some management people who were real leaders. Now I work for puppets, and its hard to respect a puppet even if they happen to have good people skills.

It would be a great day for UPS if the thousands of on-car and center level "management" people nationwide were all able to stand up at the same time and say "no more" to the puppet masters in Atlanta. I know it wont ever happen, but its fun to think about.

Good luck to you. I hope that you can make it to retirement with your health, dignity and sanity intact. I know of several management people who couldn't.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I was promoted from a driver to supervisor because I was educated, passionate, and was perceived to have good leadership skills. I was a supervisor for many years and enjoyed the job. I prided myself on communication, follow up, creativity, teaching, training and improving my work group. The work was challenging but rewarding. After several years I could see those skills lending themselves to a manager job. I was promoted to manager and loved it. I have turned several centers around in my tenure as manager. All on the foundation of honest interaction, education of why we do what we do, employee involvment and participation, doing the right thing and building a culture of teamwork in a center. I have never been a pushover. I have always improved the bottom line from both a growth and cost perspective.

However, I have realized that sometime between then and now the skills that got me promoted and have made me successful are now no longer needed, desired or accepted. I am plugged into the machine to play a singular role. My words, approach and corrective measures are all predetermined. I spend hours upon hours on conference calls that will dictate the planning, direction, and excecution of my resources. I no longer have a connection with people like I once did. I sometimes have a hard time explaining "why we do what we do".

I have lost the bitterness that I used to have becasue of this situation. In some ways life is easier to run their plan, their approach, etc, etc. I am far less passionate- But much more accepting of when things fall short. I am still regarded as a very strong manager...numbers, safety, etc.... but I no longer regard myself as a strong leader. My success as a manager is due to being a damn good follower!

....Just wondering if there are other management people out there who have somewhat lost the leader they once were in this current environment for survival sake????
sosocal,

What happenedd??????

I will tell you what happened.

This country has faced a decades long epidemic of a decline in morals.

As a country fails morally, so too will it's corporations experience this failure. UPS is not immune to this.

As corporations fail morally, so too will it's corporate executives experience this failure. UPS is not immune to this.

As company executives fail morally, so too will it's employees experience this failure. UPS employees are not immune to this.

As employees fail morally, so too will their families experience this failure. UPS families are not immune to this.

As families fail morally, so too will their children experience this failure. The children of UPS families are not immune to this.

As the children of a generation fail morally, so too dwindles the hope for a future. UPS is not immune to this.

The current culture of hopelessness at UPS clearly proves this.

It is a shame that this can all happen while some corporations make record profits.

The question is; Is it really worth it?

I thinks not.

"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?"

How is your soul today?

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When I read threads like this it makes me glad that I've never been the type who seeks validation or fulfillment from work. The only thing I ever wanted from UPS was a paycheck, and they've made good on that every Friday so far.

This is an interesting perspective Jonesy ... this is what the UPS corporation attitude has transformed many of their management personnel into.
The partner "whatever it takes" attitude has been replaced with the Corporate worker "just do my job" attitude.
I remember when UPS went public, top UPS management expressed concern to not lose the UPS Partnership culture and then almost everything they did eroded that culture.
Definitely a different place to work than it was 15 years ago for all UPSers.

packageguy

For what it's worth, I'm UPS 18 years, The last 2 are out of control, they are going after jobs, trying to down size, drivers, loaders, local sort, with record profits. i DONT UNDERSTAND IT. How can they not thank there front line, We the drivers built this company. we are the faces. Center Managers were there to help, they would tell us what ever you need, tell us we want you to help us build this company. THAT WE DID.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
For what it's worth, I'm UPS 18 years, The last 2 are out of control, they are going after jobs, trying to down size, drivers, loaders, local sort, with record profits. i DONT UNDERSTAND IT. How can they not thank there front line, We the drivers built this company. we are the faces. Center Managers were there to help, they would tell us what ever you need, tell us we want you to help us build this company. THAT WE DID.

Yoda? Is that you Master?

satellitedriver

Yoda? Is that you Master?
I am not afraid.
yoda-you-will-be.jpg

Maybe, I should be.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This is an interesting perspective Jonesy ... this is what the UPS corporation attitude has transformed many of their management personnel into.
The partner "whatever it takes" attitude has been replaced with the Corporate worker "just do my job" attitude.
I remember when UPS went public, top UPS management expressed concern to not lose the UPS Partnership culture and then almost everything they did eroded that culture.
Definitely a different place to work than it was 15 years ago for all UPSers.
Well, I will say that for the company to continue to be successful it needs to be run by folks who are looking for more than just a paycheck. I didn't mean to come off as dismissive of those folks because I absolutely recognize the value that they bring to the workplace, I've just never been that kind of guy especially when I'm working for someone else. I just want to complete my assigned work and get paid for it. I realized long ago that I was never going to be running my own company.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I have a fair metaphor, but it isn't family friendly. :biting:

I started with the R rated version myself...

Hope I didn't derail the thread. I really appreciate hearing management's perspective. I still think we're all in it together.

The op talked about differences in his role then v. now. As a driver, I used to feel that my skills and intelligence were valuable to the company. That has certainly changed. Now I'm an idiot. Anyone can do my job.

Last edited:

Griff

It seems like someone is frantically pumping it for all it's worth regardless of the consequences.

Scott Davis. His strategy isn't new or unique, it's the classic pump and dump. It has happened to a lot of companies over the years, managers exhaust operations to their absolute breaking point and usually leave the company in ruins.

"The fish always stinks from the head downwards."
- English 16th Century Proverbs

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I started with the R rated version myself...

Hope I didn't derail the thread. I really appreciate hearing management's perspective. I still think we're all in it together.

The op talked about differences in his role then v. now. As a driver, I used to feel that my skills and intelligence were valuable to the company. That has certainly changed. Now I'm an idiot. Anyone can do my job.
I think your post summed it up quite well.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I know this is way off topic, but it reminded me of those Shake Weight commercials. Oh My God, are they funny. The Roc was offered a job promoting them and turned it down for obvious reasons!
:rofl:

LOL

The motion is hilarious.....The Rock would have liked it in "Be Cool" if you know what I mean