What happens if minimum wage goes up?

Anthonysg0113

A REAL job is one that pays buddy. What a job entails doesn't make anyone lesser of a person than yourself. Here's a clue the general working class couldn't care less that someone making $100k would have less buying power.
That's a bunch of crap. Even when you have a child support case in court, they tell you to get a job you can make enough money to support yourself and the child the case is over. It all comes down to what people want to do. Not everyone is physically able to work at UPS(for example), I got that, but I can't agree on min wage going to $15 per so someone at Krystal can feel good that making burgers is the career he should retire with.

MAKAVELI

That's a bunch of crap. Even when you have a child support case in court, they tell you to get a job you can make enough money to support yourself and the child the case is over. It all comes down to what people want to do. Not everyone is physically able to work at UPS(for example), I got that, but I can't agree on min wage going to $15 per so someone at Krystal can feel good that making burgers is the career he should retire with.
The same could be said for someone moving cardboard all day.

wayfair

swollen member
Had a helper a few years back that would only work a couple days a week because it affected her section 8 money.... she was a supe at home depot

JL 0513

Had a helper a few years back that would only work a couple days a week because it affected her section 8 money.... she was a supe at home depot

This is already happening to the idiot states/localities that have gone up to the $15/hr. Workers are asking their supervisors to drop their hours. Otherwise, they lose their government assistance. These are the types of people we're dealing with. They only want to do the minimum in life. Google the news reports if you don't believe me.

PT Car Washer

This is already happening to the idiot states/localities that have gone up to the $15/hr. Workers are asking their supervisors to drop their hours. Otherwise, they lose their government assistance. These are the types of people we're dealing with. They only want to do the minimum in life. Google the news reports if you don't believe me.
Sounds like a few package car drivers always taking days off. Some are fine working 3 days a week.

PT Car Washer

Only 1.1% of US workers over 25 are at the minimum wage. Check the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

That article lists 12 scenarios, which is my point. You can't define one living wage to pay. There's hundreds of different living wages. You can't have more than one minimum wage per state.
Looks like we already have more then one min. wage depending on the state.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The people falling short of the intellectual goal post used to be able to get a decent factory job that payed a living wage. Now that those jobs are disappearing or require more technical skill they are stuck at retail or fast food.

BrownBrokeDown

Only 1.1% of US workers over 25 are at the minimum wage. Check the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

That article lists 12 scenarios, which is my point. You can't define one living wage to pay. There's hundreds of different living wages. You can't have more than one minimum wage per state.
1.1% is misleading. If we believe minimum wage should have kept up with inflation, and i do, then if i recall correctly it be over $10/hr. The percentage over 25 making less than $10 is a hell of a lot higher than 1.1%.

JL 0513

Looks like we already have more then one min. wage depending on the state.

I'm talking about the idea of having many different minimum wages per state. Yes, each state has their own prevailing minimum, mostly higher than the federal.

DriveInDriveOut seems to think it would be workable to have a million different minimum wages by law. That makes no sense. This idea that every conceivable life scenario can have a min wage applied to it is just ludicrous.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The unions are also asking to be excluded from the $15 an hour min wage. Because it doesn't take into account the benefits they have negotiated for.

rickyb

in a decent society, people who work full time should not be living in poverty.

so what they should do is find the balance between loss of jobs because of min wage rising, and improved well being of workers affected by a rising minimum wage and increased jobs via workers spending more money. im not sure where that is, maybe $15/hr who knows.

after that, people who work full time minimum wage should be given more money by the government so they are not in poverty and can afford food, electricity, water, and decent shelter.

in 1968, the minimum wage adj for inflation was close to $11/hr. if they were honest, they would tie the minimum wage to what inflation actually is, not the phony inflation numbers.

TUT

First, I did say high school, not talking college. How can someone drop out of high school and expect to make it in life? I'm sorry, but if this is the decision you make, I have no sympathy for you. High school is the absolute minimum these days. Hundreds of thousands of responsible college graduates in this country can't find a job. What do you think no high school diploma should get you?

What you can expect is to start at the bottom, but in time if you are a hard worker and if you want to advance there will be opportunity. I believe most places work like this, once you get your foot in the door how you preform from that point forward is what you are judged on. The resume got you hired.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
DriveInDriveOut seems to think it would be workable to have a million different minimum wages by law. That makes no sense. This idea that every conceivable life scenario can have a min wage applied to it is just ludicrous.
You made the statement that no one can define what a living wage is.
I simply pointed out that you are incorrect.

I'd say it is very possible to have different minimum wages for a few different variables like children. I didn't say I liked the idea. I don't think someone should be paid more simply because they squatted out a kid. I also don't think someone should pay less taxes because they squatted out a kid (see: earned income tax credit, child tax credit, child care tax credit, dependent exemptions etc etc). Frankly I think people with kids should be taxed more, not less, than childless people.

Thing is though, even if you take all variables out, the lowest figure in the living wage calculator I provided (for a single worker without kids).... it's still at least a few bucks more than our current minimum wage, everywhere.

I'd be fine with eliminating the minimum wage... the fallout would be revolutionary and it'd be great for unions.
I'd be fine with changing it to a living wage... it'd be great for the economy.
I'd be fine with tying minimum wage to inflation... it should have been all along.
What I'm not ok with is the status quo.... the system we have doesn't work for the worker, it works for wall street.