What happens if minimum wage goes up?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Driving is a pretty difficult skill. Just think of how many wrecks we avoid by being safe drivers. People see the UPS truck and automatically think ohhh I think I should pull out in front of this guy
My 16 year old daughter drives.

She is out on the road with other cars, motorcycles, trucks, busses and UPS vehicles.

And lots of people making minimum wage do drive as part of their job.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If thats what you call not devaluing someone else's labor, you sure have been arguing against them getting a minimum wage boost.
I have never argued against it.

All I have said is it will be a moot point in the long run because prices will go up and they will be able to buy about the same as before.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I just don't like to see people belittling another person's hard labor from their pedestal.

And if you devalue 1 hard working persons labor, you can devalue ALL hard working people's labor.

Sorry, but sitting in a chair at Wal-Mart and handing out green smiley stickers or dropping "bay's 1 and 2" in the grease is hardly what I would consider "Hard labor".

Supply and demand, supply and demand. If I have a certain set of skills that are high in demand, then I will fetch a higher wage than the high school dropout who has basically no skills

realbrown1

Sorry, but sitting in a chair at Wal-Mart and handing out green smiley stickers or dropping "bay's 1 and 2" in the grease is hardly what I would consider "Hard labor".

Supply and demand, supply and demand. If I have a certain set of skills that are high in demand, then I will fetch a higher wage than the high school dropout who has basically no skills
I haven't seen a greeter at Walmart for 10 years here.

And of course there would be exceptions to the $15 min.

Like retirees on Social Security and high school kids.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
When unskilled labor costs go up you can bet your ass skilled labor costs go up.

I don't follow. I hired into UPS 16 years ago at $9.50 an hour ($8.50 + $1 premium) whereas new hires are earning just $10/hour (no more premium here). Meanwhile, drivers have seen there wage near double. What are you saying? That a driver is suddenly worth $100K/year because the guy loading is truck now banking $15K?

Real compensation has lagged for the majority of the population over the past 30 years but menial skilled occupations have been hit hardest -- there is a large number of occupations that pay no more today than they did 15-20 years ago. $15 is just a negotiation point. Quite frankly, I don't see a doctor demanding a raise on top of their $250K income, or an accountant wanting more on top of their $80K, because the person ringing up their groceries is now making $25K/year instead of $17K.

Time to turn off FOX News.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

I don't follow. I hired into UPS 16 years ago at $9.50 an hour ($8.50 + $1 premium) whereas new hires are earning just $10/hour (no more premium here). Meanwhile, drivers have seen there wage near double. What are you saying? That a driver is suddenly worth $100K/year because the guy loading is truck now banking $15K?

Real compensation has lagged for the majority of the population over the past 30 years but menial skilled occupations have been hit hardest -- there is a large number of occupations that pay no more today than they did 15-20 years ago. $15 is just a negotiation point. Quite frankly, I don't see a doctor demanding a raise on top of their $250K income, or an accountant wanting more on top of their $80K, because the person ringing up their groceries is now making $25K/year instead of $17K.

This rambling has nothing to do with the quoted post.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

What does Fox news have to do with any of this? Entry level jobs get entry level pay. You want to step your pay up, then work harder, and climb the ladder, but don't bitch and moan because I, as a big rig driver earn more per hour than you do for placing boxes on trucks.

I have MUCH more responsibility, and as such, I get paid more. If you mess up in your job, a customer doesn't get their package. If I screw up, lives are on the line.

Brownslave688

I inadvertently quoted the wrong post of yours, my bad, it's fixed now.

Would you like me to come over and change your diaper too?
Oh it's simple when unskilled labor goes up goods cost more to keep profits up.

The alternative would be productivity goes up. But with labor almost doubling that would be hard to make up.

I'm not talking about ups here. I believe part timers deserve better pay. I let my BA know the $1.50 they were beating their chest about was a total farce. Me pointing this out in front of membership was not taken well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The alternative would be productivity goes up. But with labor almost doubling that would be hard to make up.

I'm not talking about ups here. I believe part timers deserve better pay. I let my BA know the $1.50 they were beating their chest about was a total farce. Me pointing this out in front of membership was not taken well.

During our contract meetings I also advocated for a higher PT starting wage.

We (drivers) make enough money; in fact, there are those (me) who think we are overpaid.

realbrown1

During our contract meetings I also advocated for a higher PT starting wage.

We (drivers) make enough money; in fact, there are those (me) who think we are overpaid.
Then you are a fool.

And apparently the only person on the planet that thinks they are over paid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

In an era of unprecedented corporate profits, companies like Walmart and McDonald's could easily afford to increase wages while having no impact on inflation (sorry 1%) but I agree this wouldn't happen; instead, they'd raise prices.

However, you're arguing that the skilled workforce would demand equal raises, thus offsetting any monetary gains. This is the point I'm arguing against -- again, it isn't likely a rational UPS driver (although I expect many BrownCafe ones will) will argue that he deserves a $5 raise because the PT starting wage increased by that amount; most are aware PT wages have been stagnant over the past 20 years while FT wages have doubled. An accountant making $80K isn't going to argue for an additional $5K raise because the supermarket cashier is now earning $23K instead of $18K. So no, I don't argue that skilled workers will demand wage hikes if minimum wage were increased -- most are aware that menial wages haven't budged in 20 years, even as there own salaries have.

What does Fox news have to do with any of this? Entry level jobs get entry level pay. You want to step your pay up, then work harder, and climb the ladder, but don't bitch and moan because I, as a big rig driver earn more per hour than you do for placing boxes on trucks.

I have MUCH more responsibility, and as such, I get paid more. If you mess up in your job, a customer doesn't get their package. If I screw up, lives are on the line.

Yes, the reason entry-level PT wages have been stagnant at UPS for two decades while driver wages have doubled is because UPS has no trouble finding qualified PTers but has difficulty finding qualified FTers. :halfdead: It has absolutely nothing to do with the union conceding to the demands of the primary voting group. (BTW, re-read the quote & my response... because your reply has nothing to do with my point.)

PT Car Washer

PT wages have been stagnant for over 30 years while FT wages have tripled including FT car washers and porters (janitor). I didn't realize mopping the floor and dumping trash cans and cleaning toilets was a skilled job demanding $32/hr plus full benefits and a pension.