What happens if minimum wage goes up?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I did. I left it out on purpose to let someone bring it up.
Profits go down. So now companies aren't worth as much as they were before. So now the stock market tanks. Uh oh
I didn't say how much they would go down. The idea that raising the minimum wage would have a huge impact on profits or prices is not based on any factual evidence.

PT Car Washer

We are talking about doubling min wage.

$10 would be a good start.
We are talking about proposing doubling the minimum wage. the end result will most likely be a compromise. And how many years down the road? $10/hr is where we are now for the real mim. wage. Why should dues paying Union members have to work for minimum wage and no benefits?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It has absolutely nothing to do with the union conceding to the demands of the primary voting group. (BTW, re-read the quote & my response... because your reply has nothing to do with my point.)

You're right, your "point" about Fox news has nothing to do with any of this.

As far as the union "conceding" to the demands, well that's just ridiculous. The contract gets presented, and voted on in it's entirety. If the PT'ers don't like the wages in the proposed contract they can vote no, and try for a better one. It's not the driver's fault that PT workers don't care enough to pay attention and vote

JL 0513

Say if it does go to $15/hr, which it is already rolling in in some cities, what happens to all the people currently making $15, $16, $17,....and have been dedicated and worked hard to get to that point? That worker is sitting there looking at the new 18 year old come in and right away making $15 with no experience or skills. So say this worker has been with the company for 7 years and has earned raises all the way to $16/hr. This person is also doing a lot more than the entry level job is. Perhaps this person can now pursue a raise. But what kinda of raise do you really think is going to happen? The scaled equivalency to the new hire would be a doubling their pay, right? $32/hr? That can't be right though, right? How about the $7 raise the minimum's just got even though the percentage is much less? So $23/hr, right? Wow, sounds great. We all know that won't happen. No way this long time employee realistically gets more that a $2-$3 immediate bump. So in the end, the long time employee isn't making much more than the new slacker teenager. This all just makes perfect sense!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If minimum wage in your area is increased and your current wage is less than whatever the new defined minimum wage is, congratulations, you'll be getting a raise to minimum wage.

If minimum wage is increased and yet, after the increase, you're still making more than minimum wage, congratulations, your next raise will be in August.

And you will actually be taking a pay cut.

As minimum wage goes up, companies charge more for their products and services to pay the increase to their workers.

So if you are making more than minimum wage, you will see no increase, but start paying more for the necessities...

You get a pay cut. Congratulations.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Say if it does go to $15/hr, which it is already rolling in in some cities, what happens to all the people currently making $15, $16, $17,....and have been dedicated and worked hard to get to that point? That worker is sitting there looking at the new 18 year old come in and right away making $15 with no experience or skills. So say this worker has been with the company for 7 years and has earned raises all the way to $16/hr. This person is also doing a lot more than the entry level job is. Perhaps this person can now pursue a raise. But what kinda of raise do you really think is going to happen? The scaled equivalency to the new hire would be a doubling their pay, right? $32/hr? That can't be right though, right? How about the $7 raise the minimum's just got even though the percentage is much less? So $23/hr, right? Wow, sounds great. We all know that won't happen. No way this long time employee realistically gets more that a $2-$3 immediate bump. So in the end, the long time employee isn't making much more than the new slacker teenager. This all just makes perfect sense!
I love this argument.
Most people making those low amounts feel they are underpaid. Then when they work their way to earn a higher wage, they feel cheated when someone else can come in and be paid a fair wage from the start. It's this strange mentality that everyone should have to suffer like you did, blows my mind.

JL 0513

I love this argument.
Most people making those low amounts feel they are underpaid. Then when they work their way to earn a higher wage, they feel cheated when someone else can come in and be paid a fair wage from the start. It's this strange mentality that everyone should have to suffer like you did, blows my mind.

Huh? You're not addressing the current problem. It can be seen as a good thing for the new worker, but you can't expect the people who have worked years to get to $15+ not expect immediate adjustment. You really think that the 10's of millions of people in this income range will continue to do their higher skill positions for the same pay as the new high school kid?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Huh? You're not addressing the current problem. It can be seen as a good thing for the new worker, but you can't expect the people who have worked years to get to $15+ not expect immediate adjustment. You really think that the 10's of millions of people in this income range will continue to do their higher skill positions for the same pay as the new high school kid?
You're talking about 2 different things, people who have worked years to get to $15, and people who are in a higher skilled position.

JL 0513

You're talking about 2 different things, people who have worked years to get to $15, and people who are in a higher skilled position.

No, I'm talking about a scenario where both are true, which is a very common scenario. If you've been working someplace for 7 years, you are much more valuable than the new guy. You simply have aquired new skills through the years and can do the job more efficiently and effectively. It could be a new position too. Maybe you're the shift supervisor now. That could easily be the $16/hr job. Now the minimum wage is $15. What now?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No, I'm talking about a scenario where both are true, which is a very common scenario. If you've been working someplace for 7 years, you are much more valuable than the new guy. You simply have aquired new skills through the years and can do the job more efficiently and effectively.
You think a cardboard pusher, or burger flipper, or cashier, who has been working someplace 7 years is much more valuable than a new employee will be a couple months down the road? I'm not so sure.
It could be a new position too. Maybe you're the shift supervisor now. That could easily be the $16/hr job. Now the minimum wage is $15. What now?
This is a completely different situation that's what I'm saying. Now that wage will most likely have to go up, I don't see that as a bad thing.

blkmamba

I haven't seen a greeter at Walmart for 10 years here.

And of course there would be exceptions to the $15 min.

Like retirees on Social Security and high school kids.
Minimum wage would be just that, they minimum you could make at any job, no exceptions.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Minimum wage would be just that, they minimum you could make at any job, no exceptions.
I haven't heard any politician talk about no exceptions.
Tipped workers like waiters and waitresses have a different minimum wage, around $2 an hour.
Did you know it's legal to pay certain people with disabilities less than minimum wage?

J

jibbs

You think a cardboard pusher, or burger flipper, or cashier, who has been working someplace 7 years is much more valuable than a new employee will be a couple months down the road? I'm not so sure.

Without question.

Granted, there are people that squeeze by and land jobs that they'll just never be forced to leave but, generally, when somebody's been doing something for 7 years they're going to be more experienced, more efficient, and need less coddling and supervision while they work than a new hire.

There are exceptions, but I don't think there are enough of them to make that general rule of thumb moot.

Did you know it's legal to pay certain people with disabilities less than minimum wage?

Really? Any examples?

MendozaJ

$15 only applies to fast food industry workers and not the entire state as a whole. Even then, the restaurant has to meet certain criteria in order to fall under the new guidelines. It is not an across the board wage hike.