What happens if minimum wage goes up?

MAKAVELI

A thought-provoking post in regards to the synonyms ... covers every base for Liberal and Conservative meanings of opportunity.
Conservative meanings of opportunities is exactly the same for a white male growing up in Beverly Hills as a black kid in Detroit.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Nobody expects to raise a family of 6 on $15 an hour. But it does make it a little easier to pay the the basics and survive. The whole point is to get people off of public assistance and enough to survive on. Minimum wage these days is not enough for a single person, much less for someone with a family.

It will not make it easier to pay the basics and survive.

Companies that have to start paying $5-$6/hr more are not going to eat those costs. They are going to raise the price of their goods and services to cover those costs.

So your jump in minimum wage will just be enough to cover those increased prices for the basics.

You will be making more, but paying higher prices. You're going to be exactly where you were at.

The big losers will be the people making more than minimum wage. They will not get a raise but the price for goods and services will go up to cover the increase in minimum wage.

Essentially, a raise in minimum wage is a pay cut to most people, and a break even to the minimum wage earner.

MAKAVELI

It will not make it easier to pay the basics and survive.

Companies that have to start paying $5-$6/hr more are not going to eat those costs. They are going to raise the price of their goods and services to cover those costs.

So your jump in minimum wage will just be enough to cover those increased prices for the basics.

You will be making more, but paying higher prices. You're going to be exactly where you were at.

The big losers will be the people making more than minimum wage. They will not get a raise but the price for goods and services will go up to cover the increase in minimum wage.

Essentially, a raise in minimum wage is a pay cut to most people, and a break even to the minimum wage earner.
I better prepare for Armageddon and the zombie apocalypse because if the minimum wage is raised the world is going to end as we know it.;)

I better prepare for Armageddon and the zombie apocalypse because if the minimum wage is raised the world is going to end as we know it.;)
The problem with minimum wage is they take too long to make adjustments to it. About every decade or so they decide to give it a big raise,making it hard on the employer. They just need to adjust it for inflation every year.

MAKAVELI

The problem with minimum wage is they take too long to make adjustments to it. About every decade or so they decide to give it a big raise,making it hard on the employer. They just need to adjust it for inflation every year.
The reason why adjustments take so long is because every increase is fought by republicans. Yet they are the first to bitch and moan about all the people on public assistance.

TeamLift

There aren't any conservative politicians in Detroit, which is why it's such a run down, crap town.

Good luck, party of the people. HAHA

You got that right and look at Baltimore, same thing run by Liberals, every city in America that is a cesspool is a Democratic city, they use poor people to vote and then do nothing for them once elected, you would think they would wise up, but then there's that lack of education thing. Keep listening to Al Sharpton, he'll have you living in a mansion in time, ha ha

TeamLift

Mcdonalds has solved the 15.00 per hour deal, they are installing self serve kiosks in their restaurants. Robots 1, poor people nothing.

JL 0513

3at4x.jpg

Thanks for illustrating an example of a type of person who complains that they don't have opportunities. This is the way they talk, dress and present themselves and wonder why they can't land a good job. Then they blame the country for their woes and say the deck is stacked against them. It's really quite amazing. So sad the delusions.

TUT

Being upset about lower people suddenly being equalized to you is a legitimate grievance. There was obviously a reason for the range of wages.

I consider it petty especially when we are all close enough to paycheck to paycheck, we are a lot more alike than different. I am not saying there isn't different wages, I am not proposing communism. But I don't understand a job that if you put 40 hours in, that isn't enough to support that one person and too many jobs are now like this. So we need to raise the bar, in doing so for a period of time wages/jobs in that area will be similar in pay. Over time the market will re-adjust and jobs above minimum grade will be increased to get and retain people. Think how much stress would be off a lot of our children that they can get a job that can support them at the basic level... you know when we had that and we did, those were called the good ole days. Today too many work 2-3 part with no beni's and still don't have enough to support themselves.

TUT

Thanks for illustrating an example of a type of person who complains that they don't have opportunities. This is the way they talk, dress and present themselves and wonder why they can't land a good job. Then they blame the country for their woes and say the deck is stacked against them. It's really quite amazing. So sad the delusions.

Yeah that is cute trying to stereotype and with a black. But you cannot be sheltered to the point that you are unaware there are college educated kids that are working these PT jobs close enough for minimum today. They can most likely read/write as good or better than you and are as white as chalk to.

People get what they fight for and people have been arguing for this for a while. Like UPS you guys got what you fought for. So if/when this happens, it was because of people standing up saying "enough is enough". I will not to argue against that, that is how the big things happen and how it works imo.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
opportunities are not given, they are taken, that's the difference. stop making excuses
Excuse me, aren't they trying to TAKE IT by getting the minimum wage laws increased.

And it's so FUNNY that MOST of the minimum wage employees work for some of the largest and wealthiest US companies.

Convincing people that these jobs are low skilled and unimportant are of huge importance to these companies.

These companies do love their massive profits more than they want to take care of their employees.

Their employees make so little that most qualify for government aid.

Raise their pay, get them off the welfare rolls and make these highly profitable companies take care of their own employees.

It's the least they can do for them.

JL 0513

Yeah that is cute trying to stereotype and with a black. But you cannot be sheltered to the point that you are unaware there are college educated kids that are working these PT jobs close enough for minimum today. They can most likely read/write as good or better than you and are as white as chalk to.

People get what they fight for and people have been arguing for this for a while. Like UPS you guys got what you fought for. So if/when this happens, it was because of people standing up saying "enough is enough". I will not to argue against that, that is how the big things happen and how it works imo.

Hey, I didn't post the meme, a liberal did. Doesn't matter what race you are, if you can't speak English, you have no prospects. Plain and simple. There's millions of white people who fit this unfortunate profile. You need to bring at least a minimal amount of sophistication to the table to make something of yourself in life. That's life and the way it should be frankly. Would you enjoy conducting public business with someome who talks and dresses like a gangster? Of course you wouldn't and you know it.

Yes, we do have a problem even with the college educated getting jobs, especially in their fields. Nothing can be done with demand other than what the market calls for. One example I saw on the news is that there are currently 2 law students graduating for every one law profession available. The reality is that colleges are flooded with students getting too many degrees in fields undemanding of their services. If you major in art history, you can be certain your will never work in the field. All the while some fields are still high in demand with less people to fill them, some of which are trade jobs. High school kids don't say, hey I wanna be a plumber, but that's the guy who will find a job. Why do you think it costs a fortune to have someone come to your house to fix something? Low competition.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I can tell you about the things I am reading about Seattle increasing their wage up to 15 bucks an hour. One is the raising the wage to 15 bucks has caused people who were getting government benefits not to get them anymore. Considering it takes them over the required threshold to receive them. Thus the people are asking their employers to cut back on their hours. Also servers are now finding it hard to receive tips considering they are making 15 bucks now. There is a whole facebook page dedicated to not tipping any waiter or waitress making that wage. Third which people have already mention prices have went up and some businesses who aren't happy to pay it have went out of business.

MendozaJ

I can tell you about the things I am reading about Seattle increasing their wage up to 15 bucks an hour. One is the raising the wage to 15 bucks has caused people who were getting government benefits not to get them anymore. Considering it takes them over the required threshold to receive them. Thus the people are asking their employers to cut back on their hours. Also servers are now finding it hard to receive tips considering they are making 15 bucks now. There is a whole facebook page dedicated to not tipping any waiter or waitress making that wage. Third which people have already mention prices have went up and some businesses who aren't happy to pay it have went out of business.

Here's the problem with what you're reading: $15 doesn't come until 2017 for large businesses, and 2021 for small businesses. Seattle's minimum wage is currently at $11.

PT Car Washer

Here's the problem with what you're reading: $15 doesn't come until 2017 for large businesses, and 2021 for small businesses. Seattle's minimum wage is currently at $11.
But yet the facts are people are already wanting to make less money to stay ahead of the game. So much for facts.

MendozaJ

But yet the facts are people are already wanting to make less money to stay ahead of the game. So much for facts.

If the dollar value that is the basis of his argument is incorrect, the whole statement is incorrect. If he said $11 was the reason why welfare recipients were asking to work less, why servers were receiving less tips, why there was a Facebook page dedicated to stiffing servers, and why businesses were closing, I'd say maybe, because that's the actual current minimum wage.

It's kind of silly to believe people "stay ahead of the game" by demanding less hours now in anticipation of a wage increase two-six years down the road. I don't believe 2021 income is factored when applying for benefits.

Then again, that's probably why they're on welfare.