What happens if minimum wage goes up?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
If the dollar value that is the basis of his argument is incorrect, the whole statement is incorrect. If he said $11 was the reason why welfare recipients were asking to work less, why servers were receiving less tips, why there was a Facebook page dedicated to stiffing servers, and why businesses were closing, I'd say maybe, because that's the actual current minimum wage.

It's kind of silly to believe people "stay ahead of the game" by demanding less hours now in anticipation of a wage increase two-six years down the road. I don't believe 2021 income is factored when applying for benefits.

Then again, that's probably why they're on welfare.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...-effects-of-seattles-15-an-hour-minimum-wage/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-15-minimum-wage-as-other-cities-follow-suit/

http://www.westernjournalism.com/se...ack-to-bite-them-in-a-totally-unexpected-way/

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/07...ge-beg-for-fewer-hours-to-keep-welfare-228745

the facebook page is called why I don't tip in seattle

So there are some links and the facebook page to collabrate what I was saying.

MendozaJ

You have google my friend. Numerous other sources on this. That is just a few.

If you want to ascertain the actual effect of $15 on a small business, why not reference one that actually has raised its wage to $15, two years ahead of time (The article says two, but I believe it's actually six years because I don't believe he employs over 500 people). Higher paid employees, higher menu prices, tipping unnecessary, and a 20% increase in business. Everything else is pure speculation.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...success-for-Seattle-restaurant-320277931.html

JL 0513

Yup. Three of the four articles are Fox and its affiliates. The other one is a blogger. So it must be true.

FOX affiliates? No they aren't. There's just the one Fox link, the others have no relation.

Perhaps you should expand where you get your news. Fox is the only major news network that balances the other 90% of news/media organizations that are hard left. If you don't notice they are hard left, then you are hard left. 90% of media carry Obama's and this administration's water and attempt to bury anything negative.

I know progressives don't want any argument or competition but God help us if there was only one side of every story being told. As it is, the majority of people are completely ignorant of what's going on. All people know is what's on the front pages of Yahoo and other popular websites. Millions only get "news" through Facebook postings. Tragically, these people vote and cancel out informed voters.

Jkloc420

If you want to ascertain the actual effect of $15 on a small business, why not reference one that actually has raised its wage to $15, two years ahead of time (The article says two, but I believe it's actually six years because I don't believe he employs over 500 people). Higher paid employees, higher menu prices, tipping unnecessary, and a 20% increase in business. Everything else is pure speculation.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...success-for-Seattle-restaurant-320277931.html

You are right it is suppose to be phased in over time. However the effects are started to be show. Higher prices, lower highers, some businesses going out of business. This is going to destroy small businesses that can't raise their wage. They are already operating on a small profit margin.

TUT

FOX affiliates? No they aren't. There's just the one Fox link, the others have no relation.

Perhaps you should expand where you get your news. Fox is the only major news network that balances the other 90% of news/media organizations that are hard left. If you don't notice they are hard left, then you are hard left. 90% of media carry Obama's and this administration's water and attempt to bury anything negative.

I know progressives don't want any argument or competition but God help us if there was only one side of every story being told. As it is, the majority of people are completely ignorant of what's going on. All people know is what's on the front pages of Yahoo and other popular websites. Millions only get "news" through Facebook postings. Tragically, these people vote and cancel out informed voters.

After reading that I can see you're hard right no matter which station is what. I believe in people working a full 40 should be able to support themselves. And that giving some of these people more, gets them off other gov't programs in which we pay for indirectly. FWIW there are articles about these mins going up, not hurting and in some cases helping business.

MendozaJ

No relation. They just happen to link to Fox video, KIRO-TV (Fox Orlando), the actual Fox News article, all the while quoting the same nursing home (Full Life Care) and the same radio host (Jason Rantz of, you guessed it, KIRO Fox Orlando).

It could also be a blatant case of plagiarism.

MendozaJ

I'm a Republican, thank you very much. If you read the articles, you would notice the glaring similarities. Form your own deduction, but at least agree that one of those guys deserves a call to the editor's office.

JL 0513

Someone said Forbes and the others are affiliated with Fox, which they aren't. If they're quoting each other, that's a different matter.

Jkloc420

Probably nothing. Hopefully something is in our contract; if minimum wage raises, so will our hourly pay.

I don't know how it works on the local level. Their raising wages on a local level so I don't know if ups would have to follow it because they do business there or not. They would have to follow it if it was on a state or fed level though.

Insaneasylum

You're right, your "point" about Fox news has nothing to do with any of this.

As far as the union "conceding" to the demands, well that's just ridiculous. The contract gets presented, and voted on in it's entirety. If the PT'ers don't like the wages in the proposed contract they can vote no, and try for a better one. It's not the driver's fault that PT workers don't care enough to pay attention and vote

We'll read this http://www.labornotes.org/2014/04/d...-international-declares-ups-contract-ratified

wayfair

swollen member

I love salmon and love to make it. I went to a place where the workers actually cared about said salmon being served correctly. And when they do, they would recieve from me , a generous tip. I hate places that serve salmon just so they have it on the menu. If you're going to have it on the menu, it better be worth the coin .

clean hairy

When minimum wage goes up, so do prices.
Back in 1981, I rented a furnished 1 BR Apt, utilities paid, $175 per month.
The same Apt in the same Complex now?
Unfurnished, utilities paid, $550 per month.
Interesting to compare what we made in 1981 vs now as well.
Also in 1981, a Plymouth Duster wilth the 225 Slant 6, Auto and air stickered for $3,425. The loan on it was for 24 or max of 36 months.

TUT

Also in 1981, a Plymouth Duster wilth the 225 Slant 6, Auto and air stickered for $3,425. The loan on it was for 24 or max of 36 months.

Things are going up all the time, the one thing that barely does move is the minimum. You get a yearly raise because things go up.

So if minimum wage was still $2.00/hr we would be able to buy a 2015 Camaro for $3,400.00, the same price as in 1974? And gas would be a record high price of $.50 a gallon?

Anthonysg0113

I didn't like working for peanuts so I got a job at United Parcel Service and stayed. Best move I ever made! I made it to driver, and that was my plan. If people don't like what they're making an hour come on down to the center! I'll get them a job.

clean hairy

So if minimum wage was still $2.00/hr we would be able to buy a 2015 Camaro for $3,400.00, the same price as in 1974? And gas would be a record high price of $.50 a gallon?
Could be.
A former prez in the 70's "I am not a crook!" tried wage and price freezes to combat inflation.
That went over as well as trying to put out a campfire by pouring gaoline on it.
In theory, if wages had stayed at $2 per hour, then the prices of goods and services would not have increased.
In actuality, who knows?
Been too many years since school to remember my Econ class.