What happens to management when we file grievances?

PeasAndCarrots

Sorry if it's been answered before, I tried searching but couldn't find it.

Like when an assigned driver files a 9.5 or a swing driver files seniority over another driver. It seems like every time a driver files a grievance on something or even threatens to file, management hops right up and does what they're supposed to like a recently disciplined child.

Do they lose bonus money at the end of the year or something? Do their bosses get super pissed and threaten their jobs? I'd love to know how it affects managements work life.

Dr.Brownz

Like when an assigned driver files a 9.5 or a swing driver files seniority over another driver. It seems like every time a driver files a grievance on something or even threatens to file, management hops right up and does what they're supposed to like a recently disciplined child.

Do they lose bonus money at the end of the year or something? Do their bosses get super :censored2: and threaten their jobs? I'd love to know how it affects managements work life.

9.5's cost the company money. The only thing the upper stairs care about is money.

Last edited by a moderator:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Do they lose bonus money at the end of the year or something? Do their bosses get super :censored2: and threaten their jobs? I'd love to know how it affects managements work life.
A slap on the pee pee!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
I think the get an award at the end of the year for keeping their centers in turmoil. They must get some kind of bonus--why else would they piss off the troops so much that a grievance has to be filed?

Box Ox

The union sends in paddlin' guy.

DIVZ5xJ.png

By The Book

Why?

By The Book

Maybe it's interesting to learn what happens to management when they're punished for knowingly treating a union hourly inappropriately and/or violating the contract.
I have enough on my plate and would rather spend time taking care of myself and the members.

Box Ox

I have enough on my plate and would rather spend time taking care of myself and the members.

Are you management? Because in this thread we're wondering what happens when management's idea of taking care of anything results in inappropriate treatment and/or violating the contract. I'm not sure what bearing your plate or your care has on the relevance of the original question.

Last edited:

By The Book

Are you management? Because in this thread we're wondering what happens when management's idea of taking care of anything results in inappropriate treatment an/or violating the contract. I'm not sure what bearing your plate or your care has on the relevance of the original question.
To answer the two questions to the op. I don't know,or care, I don't know,or care. Hope this helps, and no I'm not management.

Cowboy Mac

They get a pat on the back and "Keep up the good work."

I'm not sure what happens to them but they sure don't look at you the same after. If he's a weak-willed sup or just a good manager, he will fix the problem and be slightly afraid. If he's a stubborn one he'll likely look at you with disdain and come up with some form of retaliation. Whatever sort of torture goes on behind the office door is beyond my knowledge.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

Believe it or not, most center manager's and on-roads fear them. They get blamed by there Dm and regional managers for allowing the problems to 'occur'. Granted some managers are :censored2:s that harass some drivers more than others, but on issues like 9/5 , when the call comes in cut routes, leaving the rest of the routes planned over 9/5, where does the blame fall?

Johney

I would think that as all centers are run as a business and have a budget so to speak, it goes against their profit margin for that center. I suspect like a tier 3 is charged against a center and maybe w/c claims? Grievance money paid would also go against a center's profit margin.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you're asking at the operations level, nothing until the grievances are heard and start stacking up. Once grievances are heard at the local hearing, it's determined which ones will go to panel and which ones get solved locally.

If the union and the company are constantly at odds (read 9.5 grievances) and the company continues to violate the contract, those get sent to panel. When they go to panel the company now has to spend more time and with the new language spend time with the driver and management in a meeting to resolve the dispatch. The company will write off the mass amount of 9.5 grievance money paid out as a business expense as only 1 out of 4 drivers file. The other three drivers make up for the one that's now on the list and the company will agree to honor those on the list while still violating/giving more work to the others the do or don't want it that aren't on the list.

In the end it's all about everyone filing if you don't want the work. If everyone in the center that moans and complains about having too much work would file, it would become unprofitable to slam drivers and the company would scale dispatch back. In my above scenario, as long as the company can justify paying grievances and honoring the few that file, then you will continue to get slammed. I for one welcome the work but I understand others who don't.

Operations is there to carry out a plan, while walking the line of the contract. If the two come to a crossroads, you can bet they'll take the violation over not following orders, as long as the resistance to the violation is non existent.

Last edited:

SCV good to go sir.

Every grievance filed against them contributes $1 to their turkey fund. When November rolls around all the managers are handed vouchers that go towards a turkey.

Real talk I don't know. I've seen managers get really upset about it so I imagine they do face some type of negative repercussion.

clean hairy

I couldn't care less what happens to them.
They don't care about us.
Only thing I care about grievances is the extra $ when they are paid!