What happens to management when we file grievances?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I don't have a clue what happens inside the management office. But I do know they HATE having grievances filed against them. They always seem to take them personally.

Years ago, in package car, I had a part time sup who ALWAYS handled bargaining work. And I ALWAYS filed against him. It got got to the point where he came out to my route and begged me to stop filing grievances against him. He told me if I kept filing grievances against him, they were going to transfer him to a satellite hub. I couldn't help but laugh, and ask him, "What do you want me to do about it? You're the one doing the work!!"

In the end, he just took his punishment for his preloaders not getting done on time, instead of doing their work.

Cowboy Mac

Years ago, in package car, I had a part time sup who ALWAYS handled bargaining work. And I ALWAYS filed against him. It got got to the point where he came out to my route and begged me to stop filing grievances against him. He told me if I kept filing grievances against him, they were going to transfer him to a satellite hub.

That's when you file for harassment because the supervisor is bringing up the grievances and trying to get you to stop filing. I love the ones where I've been filing on the same sup for working for a while and I walk up to him when he's working and say
"Whatcha doin there?"
"Working! And if you have a problem with that why don't you go on break and get yourself on of those little grievance forms?"
"Whatever you say, sir."

One for working and one for harassment. Done and done.

Dracula

That's when you file for harassment because the supervisor is bringing up the grievances and trying to get you to stop filing. I love the ones where I've been filing on the same sup for working for a while and I walk up to him when he's working and say
"Whatcha doin there?"
"Working! And if you have a problem with that why don't you go on break and get yourself on of those little grievance forms?"
"Whatever you say, sir."

One for working and one for harassment. Done and done.

I didn't need to file for harassment on this guy. This guy paid my taxes and beer money for the whole summer.

Cowboy Mac

I didn't need to file for harassment on this guy. This guy paid my taxes and beer money for the whole summer.

That's awesome. I don't understand how guys can get so much money from grievances. I did it a few times to where I should have gotten maybe $100. But it took six months to get the packet in the mail and a check for $17. I always hear stories about guys who won enough to buy a new car or go on vacation. I want a piece of that pie!

Dracula

That's awesome. I don't understand how guys can get so much money from grievances. I did it a few times to where I should have gotten maybe $100. But it took six months to get the packet in the mail and a check for $17. I always hear stories about guys who won enough to buy a new car or go on vacation. I want a piece of that pie!

This was a 6 month process. I was the only one who filed the grievances, and this supervisor lived on my route. So I knew when he got home on a normal day, and on the days when he delivered packages. We were actually pretty good friends. I helped him with some landscaping on his house. He had a real nice house.

This was back in the late 90's. I had a reputation, back then, for filing grievances. What would happen, was all of the packages that got left in the building, would be forced on the part-time, preload supervisors. They were instructed to deliver them. It got to the point where I had a female supervisor who would come find me on my route and tell me exactly what she delivered, and how long it took her. Why? Because she knew I filed on it, and she was furious that she was having to extend her part-time day doing our work. I actually took her to lunch a few times. She insisted, because she knew she was the one who was actually paying for it. Haha.

Those were the good ole' days.

UPS actually tried quite a few things to stop me. Harassment, of course. That never had much of an effect on me. But one thing they did do, that actually cost me some money, was wait until I filed the grievances, then find a higher seniority part-timer to file the same grievance I filed, just before the deadline, so he would get paid instead of me. This actually worked.

It spun me up like the Tasmanian Devil, and caused me some serious friction with my local, and nearly got me into a fist fight with the high-up part-timers that were stealing my grievances. All those guys cared about was getting bonus checks at my expense.

But I adapted. I learned to file my grievances at the very last minute, and I learned to not trust those POS part-timers that talked the big game, but only played local.

It was amazing how long it took for UPS to clean up their act.

Like I say, the good ole' days...

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

If they have a really powerful lens.
Do they laugh a lot when you come around?
My boss greats me like this now:

tumblr_ml6hinhXYs1s0xrqjo1_500.gif

We have an on-car sup who tells us to file 9.5 grievances! He says it's the only way they can convince the DM that they need more routes.
The guy beside me constantly complains about too much work, but refuses to file even when his sup tells him to. I just laugh at him whenever he starts whining to me. I'll bet I've told him 50 times that he needs to file.

dudebro

There is no specific action for management tied to a grievance, MIP or otherwise.

Paid grievances DO go on center cost statements but are generally a miniscule percent of the total.

BUT, it's like anything else. If you have a typical number of grievances for the same things everyone else does, nothing happens. If you stand out due to a particular number or type of grievance, Labor and/or HR will come and ask what's going on, and apply pressure to fix the problem.

This mechanism is part of the balance of power. If mgmt gets out of hand with contract violations and it can be proven, it opens up the company to risk of litigation from the union.

newfie

Maybe it's interesting to learn what happens to management when they're punished for knowingly treating a union hourly inappropriately and/or violating the contract.

I think you're being wishful. I cant imagine anything happens to management other then the extra paperwork.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If someone files a grievance in my building the supervisor gets chewed out by the center manager. I've only seen 1 filed in the time I've been here, but I'll never forget the butt chewing the On Car got.

I made myself very fluent in the contract after that..

DOK

If someone files a grievance in my building the supervisor gets chewed out by the center manager. I've only seen 1 filed in the time I've been here, but I'll never forget the butt chewing the On Car got.

I made myself very fluent in the contract after that..

You've only seen 1 grievance filed in the time you've been here? Did you start yesterday?

FilingBluesFL

Years ago, in package car, I had a part time sup who ALWAYS handled bargaining work. And I ALWAYS filed against him. It got got to the point where he came out to my route and begged me to stop filing grievances against him. He told me if I kept filing grievances against him, they were going to transfer him to a satellite hub. I couldn't help but laugh, and ask him, "What do you want me to do about it? You're the one doing the work!!"

I love when I find a part-time sup working...

I get the biggest smile, and I declare in my outside voice "IT'S FREEEEEE MONEY (insert day of the week here)!!!!!!!!!!!"

Boy, you'd think that dang package grew thorns on it the way they drop the so dang fast...

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
At the very least, the manager responsible for the operation has to fill out a form and e-mail a summary of the grievance to UPS labor management. They're also going to be responsible for providing any additional information and may be required to attend any local level hearings or panels. If it's something truly frivolous -- for example, a loader filing an Article 37 because his supervisor told him to get off his cell phone, then they're not going to feel any heat at all. If it's something they're truly guilty on, then they tend to get chewed out if it wasn't operationally necessary (ie. working supervisors due to an Act of God will almost always get tossed if they tried to staff the operation and you're not in L705).

Monetary grievances (supervisors working, etc.) are likely to count against the operation's budget.

box_beeyotch

At the very least, the manager responsible for the operation has to fill out a form and e-mail a summary of the grievance to UPS labor management. They're also going to be responsible for providing any additional information and may be required to attend any local level hearings or panels. If it's something truly frivolous -- for example, a loader filing an Article 37 because his supervisor told him to get off his cell phone, then they're not going to feel any heat at all. If it's something they're truly guilty on, then they tend to get chewed out if it wasn't operationally necessary (ie. working supervisors due to an Act of God will almost always get tossed if they tried to staff the operation and you're not in L705).

Monetary grievances (supervisors working, etc.) are likely to count against the operation's budget.

Yeah they dont like the sup working grievances. I used to file one to two a week on the local sort, and I started strongly influencing other part timers to do the same. Needless to say, it certainly counts against their budget.