What happens to management when we file grievances?

oldandcrabby

Just received our 2 teamster Oct./ Nov. issue in the mail today. On page 7 they give a review of the book "The Devil Is Here In These Hills"

My Grandfather was part of the coal mine wars that occurred in Appalachia. He was born in 1886 and died in 1965. You want to know why unions need the support and appreciation just read the book or for those of you who do not have time to read it find the movie Matewan and watch it.

I have watched plenty of Uncles die from black lung. I have lost family members to all kinds of mine related accidents. Have attended many a funeral for relatives that have had all kinds of diseases and cancer.

Over the years I have seen first hand the destruction from strip mining and now mountain top removal. Sorry for the novel but as my Daddy always said " Never forget who had to give up for you to be where you are today."

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If the grievance is upheld, the offending management person gets sent to the "Red Room" in Atlanta for some specialized training.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just received our 2 teamster Oct./ Nov. issue in the mail today. On page 7 they give a review of the book "The Devil Is Here In These Hills"

My Grandfather was part of the coal mine wars that occurred in Appalachia. He was born in 1886 and died in 1965. You want to know why unions need the support and appreciation just read the book or for those of you who do not have time to read it find the movie Matewan and watch it.

I have watched plenty of Uncles die from black lung. I have lost family members to all kinds of mine related accidents. Have attended many a funeral for relatives that have had all kinds of diseases and cancer.

Over the years I have seen first hand the destruction from strip mining and now mountain top removal. Sorry for the novel but as my Daddy always said " Never forget who had to give up for you to be where you are today."

John Grisham touched on the legal side of this issue in his book "Gray Mountain".

oldandcrabby

John Grisham touched on the legal side of this issue in his book "Gray Mountain".

Yes I read that book. Have always been a Grisham fan.

The real meaning behind a "red neck" is the fact that during the Blair Mountain mine war was union men wore red bandannas tied around their neck so you knew who was who.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Yes I read that book. Have always been a Grisham fan.

The real meaning behind a "red neck" is the fact that during the Blair Mountain mine war was union men wore red bandannas tied around their neck so you knew who was who.
Brad Meltzer writes very much like Grisham.....his books are good too....also courtroom genre.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I would definitely read the review in the teamster issue before I did any purchasing as a lot of people find accurate historical books are a really dry read.
You would probably like "Sixteen Tons" by Kevin Corley. A lot of history tied together by a couple generations of a fictional family.

oldandcrabby

You would probably like "Sixteen Tons" by Kevin Corley. A lot of history tied together by a couple generations of a fictional family.

Already read that one. "Lost Mountain" is all about mountain top removal. I pretty much read all I can find about coal mining.

When my children were little if they left a light on I would always tell them you know you're killing coal miners. They would get so annoyed with me.

oldandcrabby

When my Uncle passed away in 2002 my son was gifted with my Grandfather's pick axe from his mining days and mine script from one of the many mines he worked at.

El Correcto

god is dead
What are you talking about paper trail? I'm new and genuinely don't know much about the grievance process. I've seen them harass the hell out of people who file them though, even costing the rookie I started with his driving position. I've never really liked management anywhere, but ups seems to have the worse out of all the jobs I've ever worked when it comes to breaking rules and harassing people.