What happens to the laid-off road drivers

Dalamo

i was just wondering what happens when road runs are cut and the road drivers that are affected are on so-called Layoff. do they not work anymore and have to go to unemployment or do they change classification and go to the local cartage and if so where do they fall, i know that the runs that are cut is not because they wanted it to happen, any info would be appreciated thanks

O

OldSnake63

if a road driver is laid off they have to offer them local cartage work ahead of casuals . you do not gain local cartage seniorty .

Dieselhed

^^^^ What he said. Most have the "I don't work the dock attitude" though. They just sit home on the computer and bitch about contractors and the union.

witheeze

Jack-knife
That's if they have company seniority over the casuals and are qualified to do the job. But what if the laid off road driver has sniority over a full-time local cartage that's working the dock and driving some can he bump that man?

SMCRDFCL

That's if they have company seniority over the casuals and are qualified to do the job. But what if the laid off road driver has sniority over a full-time local cartage that's working the dock and driving some can he bump that man?

The road driver can bump into the local board according to his seniority, but must return to the road board if called back to work on the road board. The Company would naturally like it if the laid off road driver did not apply for unemployment insurance benefits’-that raises The Companies premiums for that program. A road driver, who has a bid, and that bid cut for that day, goes to the top of the extra board for that day and CANNOT WORK LOCAL FOR THAT DAY UNLESS HE IS LAID OFF! Read THE CONTRACT. If that road driver worked local, in essence they would have three bids; a road bid, and extra board bid and a local P & D bid. That is called ‘super seniority’ and a one ‘utility board’. That gives The Company the most flexibility and little for the worker.

(e). The Company shall offer extra city or dock work to road employees who are on layoff and who are qualified and immediately available for city or dock work prior to using casual employees, except where there is a mutually agreed procedure to the contrary. No road employee shall gain “local cartage” seniority under this provision, but he/she shall accrue Company seniority.” [1]

[1]UPS FREIGHT AGREEMENT Covering OVER-THE-ROAD And LOCAL CARTAGE OPERATIONS For the period of ___, 2008 through July 31, 2013 Article 5 Section 1. Seniority.

Last edited:

witheeze

Jack-knife
I have read it, your not putting in is he goes to the bottom of local catage ,( section 2 layoffs) in a contract you have to read it all not just the parts you wont.

witheeze

Jack-knife
I have read it, your not putting in is he goes to the bottom of local catage ,( section 2 layoffs) in a contract you have to read it all not just the parts you wont.