what has Brown done TO you

F

fups

i hate to say this.... but I DID TELL MY SUP about my check being to much.... so there...and i would load your ass in the truck if you were in there with me......but you ain't and you never would be cause they would put you in small sort with the REST.

i guess if i load a truck aa fast as i can everyday for 5 years they will make me friend/t? or halfass it for 5 years..... makes NO nevermind!

D

dammor

Dear Fups,

Sorry, but I have no idea what it is you are trying to say. Let me just say though that I have worked at UPS for 23 years. I started out unloading trailers, then loading package cars, and am now a driver. No part of this job has every been easy. I have never had a problem with working hard if I made a decent living and felt good about the job I was doing. I did that when I was p/t and I am doing it friend/t now. I see plenty of men in our center that are hard working p/t employees that I think would be excellent drivers. I also see some that I would hate to have in my same delivery area. Attitude matters plenty with any job, but at this tough job it can make or break you. Decide what it is you want to be and work towards it. Whining won't help.

J

jcroche

What has Brown done to me?

<font size="+1">PLENTY!

</font>It took a 20 year old kid who was basically screwing off, and turned him into a 55 year old
kid who still is basically screwing off.
wink3.gif

The major difference is, back then I was taking home $33.15 a week and today, well, let's just say that money isn't a problem - but taxes are!
icon19.gif

jcr

P

parttimejon

....Newsflash... No they will not make you full time for busting your ass. And the same guys who half ass get the easy trucks and the small sort. They still make it to the sort aisle when they get senority enough and they still get to run the ireg train. Oh yeah guys they get off at six when you still have 3 hours of stops left. Seniority is the only thing that will make you full time. And ups posting the bids when they come available not six months later.

F

fups

dear Dammor,

I'm not crying, never have and never will.... i maybitch though.

and what i'm trying to say is you couldn't old my jockstrap if we were loading unloading picking off sorting

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">Bid sheets? What are bid sheets? </font>

D

dammor

"and what i'm trying to say is you couldn't old my jockstrap if we were loading unloading picking off sorting"

Dear Fups, Sorry, but I really don't want your old jockstrap. I suppose you were trying to tell me you could out work me. I have no doubt that is true. I am 23 years older than you. I started working at UPS when I was your age. It would be interesting to talk to you in 23 years. By then though I will no doubt be dead or in a nursing home. Keep up the good work. :-)) Trust me, You are not right now what you will be.....Good Luck

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">I know of plenty of "old timers" that can still work circles around younger people. I've seen plenty of men, and women, that had 20+ years in the company and and anywhere from 40-60 in age that could still tighten up and work up a good sweat like a new hire. They are proof that old age is an excuse for lazyness and also proof that age is just a number if you take care of yourself. My grandfather is 80 and can still move like he is 50. </font>

D

dammor

They are proof that old age is an excuse for lazyness and also proof that age is just a number if you take care of yourself.

Local, Myself and my fellow "senior citizens" at UPS here don't have a lazy bone in our bodies. Those of us that have hung in this long understand the job very well. We also, (in my opinion), seem to have a much better attitude than many of the the younger people here. I work in a delivery area with people I have worked with for years and we work it out ourselves. If someone needs help, we help. Vacation time is a disaster. The big young bucks can't seem to get it done. Even if they have been on the run and know it pretty well they will get in at 6:00 with 10 routes they just couldn't seem to find, or the people weren't home and for some strange reason they couldn't DR the package. The customers are wondering why they have no package and no delivery notice. Guess it blew off the door. Work ethic is important...

My point with age was that it is more difficult at 48 than it was at 25. Hell yes we can still get it done, but it takes more effort. This sort of job is hard on the body. So is age. :-)) As I said before, the best thing that comes from age is possibly an understanding and appreciation of the job. It's attitude........

P

proups

What has Brown done for me?

I make more money than most of my friends. My benefits almost pay for everything. I have a nice house, nice cars, and am building a nice retirement nest egg. I can afford to go to exotic places on vacations.

On the other hand, I work very hard. I sometimes, well, OK, oftentimes work long hours. I am beat when I come home at night. But after looking at all of the benefits, who can complain?

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">Good one Proups and more of your fellow drivers should aknowledge that but the question was "what has brown done <u>TO</u> you?" The only thing brown has done to me lately is failed to come through on their safety issues. Every month we have a "safety meeting" on reload with one of our friend/t sups and he always asks if we have any safety issues. There are a couple of issues that we have been bringing up for over 2 years now, and even though he writes down these things on a piece of paper or in his clip board, he still acts as if every time we state these issues like it is always the first. They get mad if we get hurt yet don't do a thing about our suggestions concerning safety. Well, other than that Brown as been pretty cool lately.
</font>

U

upsdude

"Every month we have a "safety meeting" on reload"

Monthly? We meet weekly in my center.

D

dannyboy

FUPS

I was out working when you were a glimmer in your daddies eyes. Hell, your daddy might have still been in diapers.

Im glad you think you can out-work every body else. Come on up to Tennessee and we shall see!

d

T

tieguy

"There are a couple of issues that we have been bringing up for over 2 years now, and even though he writes down these things on a piece of paper or in his clip board, he still acts as if every time we state these issues like it is always the first."

Thats a shame. For a safety committe to work its got to move on from the type of format you describe. If I remember correctly one issue was the unload device which this board gave you a lot of feedback on. Whats the other issues?

D

dannyboy

Email me. Since we are in the same district, maybe I can make a few phone calls to fix the problem. If not, there are other means to fix any problem.

d

F

fups

IT's... Dannyboy... well i'm in TN thankyou..... danny what hub or center do you work out of?? OAKHAVEN here

D

dannyboy

Bristol Center

Hurry and come on up here so I can show you how an old man can work circles around a kid
biggrin.gif
but do it quickly, cause I hope to retire in about 5 more years.

d

S

steamheat

dannyboy / so how old are you if you plan to retire in 5 years

D

dannyboy

48 with right at 30 years service. I figure I will work 5, buy one and hang it up. Been a long time, had a good time, but I enjoy doing other things more at this time.

d