What has happened?

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I think it is very simple over the last 10 to 15 years more people higher up the line have never actually driven a package car in thier life.

We have more and more people who can run numbers and come up with what can be done, who have never been stuck in traffic, never had to find that package that for some reason is not where edd tellls me it is. Someone who has never had to work when it 95 out, never had to work around snow piles when it is 10 dergees.

We have to anwser to stock holders now.

I dont blame any of these people they are not dumb they just have never had to deal with working with what is going on. They are only working numbers, its all they have.

I still belive UPS can right the ship.

brown bomber

brown bomber
The only people that UPS care about now are the stockholders and Wall Street. Witness the torn, stained uniforms on many drivers that they can't get replacements ones, the "burned out" drivers who can't seem to catch a break but are always found to be "at fault."

Witness the mid level management and supes who can tell you now the exact date they will retire and are counting it down. 20 stops added to each route just "because." Routes cut, yet expected to do your route and the extra stops in the same time.

Customers a secondary concern now. Who cares if they are getting their packages 3 hours later? Not Atlanta, until the customer goes to Fedex. And how the hell are we supposed to remember all the new rules and regs for delivering that come our way each week that we sign and say we are trained in. Yeah, right.

And on and on. UPS doesn't care and couldn't handle an open forum with all the shot that would come their way.

brown bomber

brown bomber
sorry gang.........messed up regarding this quote............just wondering aren't most UPS drivers still stock holders......if so I would encourage you to vote against the Board of Directors (Bored Directors)...........it's time to shake stuff up...........company is profitable, however the stock is just treading water.....how about an additional dividend, or a stock buy-back....there certainly is cash available

brown bomber

brown bomber
I think it is very simple over the last 10 to 15 years more people higher up the line have never actually driven a package car in thier life.

We have more and more people who can run numbers and come up with what can be done, who have never been stuck in traffic, never had to find that package that for some reason is not where edd tellls me it is. Someone who has never had to work when it 95 out, never had to work around snow piles when it is 10 dergees.

We have to anwser to stock holders now.

I dont blame any of these people they are not dumb they just have never had to deal with working with what is going on. They are only working numbers, its all they have.

I still belive UPS can right the ship.

CharleyHustle

It may sound simplistic, in the current political and regulatory enviorment, employees are just to expensive. Add on a labor contract and costs of an employee start getting unsustainable. Look around, any company with a large union workforce is not doing well or is out of business, any company that has dumped or reduced their union workers is treading water, any company that has gone to contracters is going to make it. UPS is trying very hard to reduce the workforce and the cost that goes with it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It may sound simplistic, in the current political and regulatory enviorment, employees are just to expensive. Add on a labor contract and costs of an employee start getting unsustainable. Look around, any company with a large union workforce is not doing well or is out of business, any company that has dumped or reduced their union workers is treading water, any company that has gone to contracters is going to make it. UPS is trying very hard to reduce the workforce and the cost that goes with it.

Reallly?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
IT HAS NEVER BEEN THIS BAD....It is both hourly and management. The sad thing that I see is that true brown to the bone UPSERS (both managment and hourly) are losing their faith, trust and dedication. As a Center manager it is extremely tough in this environment to build teamwork, motivation are even a "give a damn attitude" with either my management team or the workgroups. ALl I can hope for is that our next CEO is a UPSER that has done many of the jobs you and I perform- and knows the dynamics of UPS culture, and potential... I AM VERY CONCERNED.

+10 - sosocal, the same thing has happened here and your post is dead on.

browniehound

HA HA HA! That was a good one and its a line UPS might throw during labor negotiations but its surely not a statement ANYONE would believe. Would it?

UPS has the highest labor costs in the industry and still posts impressive profit numbers quarter after quarter even during the worst of times. I credit our driver's and immediate supervisor's hard work for the outstanding profitability
of the company. Everyone above the center manager level is riding our coat-tails!

The line: "Employees are just too expensive" is classic and just might be the philosophy of the UPS High Command. It's almost amusing to think that they REALLY DO THINK THIS WAY! Their ultimate goal woud be to not pay any employeed and still reap the benefits. I bet they have dreams about this fantasy almost every night, lol!

I'll end the post on this note: I think UPS is getting a bargain when the pay its driver $30/hour. Most of us deliver twice as many parcels as the Fed-Ex driver per hour and he is making about $28. Again, a bargain (UPS is getting twice as much production for almost the same cost) and another reason why UPS is the superior company!

over9five

Staff member
I'll end the post on this note: I think UPS is getting a bargain when the pay its driver $30/hour. Most of us deliver twice as many parcels as the Fed-Ex driver per hour and he is making about $28. Again, a bargain (UPS is getting twice as much production for almost the same cost) and another reason why UPS is the superior company!

Add to that Fedex pays 3 drivers (Express, grd, home delivery) to do the same 1 business stop 1 UPS driver does.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FedEx drivers up here would love to get $28/hr. I think most top out just under $25. The Ground and HD guys make substantially less.

We are the superior company for many reasons but I think the primary is that we are an integrated carrier.

UPS certainly does get the most out of their employees.

wornoutupser

Charley,
You must be one of the brain washed Atlanta idiots.

Have you not seen the profit for UPS in the last two quarters?

PS- if you take away the cost of the driver, HOW MUCH DOES THE MANAGERS MAKE???