What have you seen people lose their jobs for? How to avoid being fired.

BLACKBALLED

If it is for Drugs, altering packages, flirting with co-worker out of area those are all good causes and just for termination, if he or her is threatining for Lunches or whatnot that is part of the mind game they play in hopes you fret and they do this because it makes them look better on paper with the numbers, they want you to skip lunch and make the deliveries, they are pressured from their division managers who are also pressured form the district managers and so on, this is a game you wont win.But as I have witnessed some females get promoted for flirting and having affairs so it all depends on who is running your center and if they are willing to turn the other way.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
WIthout going into too much detail, we have a newly promoted one who is trying to change the world. He is older though (mid 50s) so it will probably be short lived.

They will probably try to fire him a couple of months before he turns 55. If they retire at 55 the company pays their medical until they are eligible for Medicare at age 65. Whack 'em at 54, and they have to pay for their own insurance out of pocket for 10+ years. Assuming a $1,000 per month COBRA and that adds up to at least a $120,000 bounty on the head of every 50+ yr old management person... and thats without including the huge wage differential between them and the gung-ho 24 yr old who will be taking their place. No wonder they are all so uptight.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They will probably try to fire him a couple of months before he turns 55. If they retire at 55 the company pays their medical until they are eligible for Medicare at age 65. Whack 'em at 54, and they have to pay for their own insurance out of pocket for 10+ years. Assuming a $1,000 per month COBRA and that adds up to at least a $120,000 bounty on the head of every 50+ yr old management person... and thats without including the huge wage differential between them and the gung-ho 24 yr old who will be taking their place. No wonder they are all so uptight.
Funny that you see this everywhere and I have been with the company 38 years and have never seen it one time. What I have seen is people who were close to retirement and screwed up pretty good (no dishonesty ... that never flies) and they demoted them and found a job until they reached 55. I do think it was understood that at 55 they were to leave.

soberups

Funny that you see this everywhere and I have been with the company 38 years and have never seen it one time. What I have seen is people who were close to retirement and screwed up pretty good (no dishonesty ... that never flies) and they demoted them and found a job until they reached 55. I do think it was understood that at 55 they were to leave.

I dont see this "everywhere" since I am in a little bitty podunk building way out here in Oregon. What I have seen in the past 10 years is a total of 4 terminations (not demotions) of 50+ year-old management people on blatantly ridiculous charges. I know the names, I know the approximate dates, and I know the alleged reasons. The truly disgusting part is that the upper-level management people who fired these guys got to their level by doing the same things that they wound up conveniently whacking their subordinates for. And I cannot believe that the fact that all of these guys were within a couple of years or less from 10 yrs of company-paid medical benefits was simply a "coincidence".

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have never seen any one terminated who didn't deserve it,and have seen many more Hourly and Management who were't fired when they deserved it.

I have seen Hourly terminated for Stealing Packages,Stealing Time,Falsifying Records,Not Recording packages ,Dishonesty,Not Reporting Accidents and Work Place Violence

I have seen management terminated for Changing Time Cards,Dishonesty,Fraternizing with an Hourly,Hiding Packages in the Building,and Stealing packages

soberups

I have seen Hourly terminated for Stealing Packages,Stealing Time,Falsifying Records,Not Recording packages ,Dishonesty,Not Reporting Accidents and Work Place Violence

I have seen management terminated for Changing Time Cards,Dishonesty,Fraternizing with an Hourly,Hiding Packages in the Building,and Stealing packages

I have seen management [-]terminated[/-] promoted for Changing Time Cards,Dishonesty,Fraternizing with an Hourly,Hiding Packages in the Building,and Stealing packages!!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
You've seen someone terminated for missed scans? We have like 50 per day in our center alone. More to that story than meets the eye.

I wasnt clear,i realize that now . The driver didn't record the packages,and brought them into the building and placed them with Class 2 exceptions.

DS

Fenderbender
Nope. I am 56.
Even a white guy like me gets some protection when you get over 40 with the PAG (Protected Age Group) kicking in.

They must like you, or you are good at hiding!
Quiet! they may hear you!
Maybe me 'n Hoax are still productive,so we don't show up on those reports.
I got talked to for not putting in 2 minutes break and by law they have to pay me for it.
I feel sorry for all the trees.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Had two in my center fired this week for something pretty stupid. We had a center manager who recently told us that if a customer is outside their house or meets you at the door then you should go ahead and get a signature instead of driver releasing it mcm, mcw, etc. He said you get an extra time allowance for obtaining a signature. Well, a couple of our not-so-smart drivers decided that hitting the signature key and then writing "dr front door" was a way to improve their numbers. They are now sitting at home realizing it wasn't such a smart idea.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Had two in my center fired this week for something pretty stupid. We had a center manager who recently told us that if a customer is outside their house or meets you at the door then you should go ahead and get a signature instead of driver releasing it mcm, mcw, etc. He said you get an extra time allowance for obtaining a signature. Well, a couple of our not-so-smart drivers decided that hitting the signature key and then writing "dr front door" was a way to improve their numbers. They are now sitting at home realizing it wasn't such a smart idea.

The one who should be fired is the center manager for suggesting padding allowances. MCM is there for a reason.

My cousin, who is a ft package driver, got fired for filing too many grievances...... The background of the story, He has filed over 18 grievances since Jan 2011 and they have been following him and harassing him over his performance but he does the job very safely so they could not get him for anything. In the middle of May 2011 he showed up for work and was pulled into the office with a steward and fired on the spot for not reporting an accident. The center manager found a scratch and nick on the bumper and told him he must have had an accident and didnt report it. UPS investigated and found a tree that they said he hit yet the homeowner said that he personally damaged himself with a bat. My cousin hit nothing and someone else drove the car after him anyway. They are completely bleeding him out of pure spite and grievances. He is still out and the panel isnt til Sept 2011. Any recourse or thoughts?
:angry:

Brownsfan

Seen more supervisors fired than drivers. Lying about numbers. One driver for stealing boxes of ipods. One for having his brother ship him drugs to his house. He lived on his route. One driver for late nxda. Repeated over and over. We told him many times not to deliver any grounds before 10:30, but he wouldn't listen.

Why7 in the hell are some people so stupid? If you still want to keep making $80000 a year dont deliver any ground before 10:30am. His reply NO! forest was right "stupid is as stupid does"

Brownsfan

My cousin, who is a ft package driver, got fired for filing too many grievances...... The background of the story, He has filed over 18 grievances since Jan 2011 and they have been following him and harassing him over his performance but he does the job very safely so they could not get him for anything. In the middle of May 2011 he showed up for work and was pulled into the office with a steward and fired on the spot for not reporting an accident. The center manager found a scratch and nick on the bumper and told him he must have had an accident and didnt report it. UPS investigated and found a tree that they said he hit yet the homeowner said that he personally damaged himself with a bat. My cousin hit nothing and someone else drove the car after him anyway. They are completely bleeding him out of pure spite and grievances. He is still out and the panel isnt til Sept 2011. Any recourse or thoughts?

Your post will soon say, but he got his job back.

Brownsfan

We have a center manager with short man and yes man syndrome.. He has fired 4 people. 1 for theft(good job!), 1 for a bad accident and leaving the scene(good Job!) 1 for a supervisor chest bumping a driver and saying it was his fault(he got his job back) 1 for being instructed to follow edd on a yearly sup check up, and then the supervisor told him not to follow edd and the driver refused to so they fired him for sabotage and not listening. Sad story. I hope he gets his job back. The crazy part about the last guy is hes a company runner and lunch humper and they still canned him.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
The one who should be fired is the center manager for suggesting padding allowances. MCM is there for a reason.

Exactly, it's there for a reason and when I do get heavy with sigs and few dr's I do NOT see any improvement in my time allowance. That time allowance is false. Same with call tags. I could have a boat load of call tags and I see no gain in time allowance. Anyone ever really c much gain in these matters????????????????????

I have a pick up that has up to 7 pallets (which used to go to feeders) I do it with no assistance, load by hand , get pallet jack and bring over a pallet at a time. C.M. says why did it take you half hour to make delivery X. I said that time was spent loading the pick up before the X delivery which came after. What, put a lunch in that time so it shows something between pick up and delivery. Sorry, I don't give out free lunches no more.

Last edited:

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner

Funny, They fired him in MAY so they could replace him with a seasonal driver. Sounds like they re just trying to gain profits. Get the big picture. I do. They use me as seasonal instead of a cover driver so thet can get away with paying me lower hrly rate. they cry about robbing time but don't they rob us?