What if the Ground ISP Model Fails?

newgirl

I think the segment that's missing in this discussion is international. Google Bill Logue's recent comments. We need the aircraft for international. China, India. Can't get there by truck. Please give us more info on "Project Condor."

FedEx2000

You should be hearing about it soon, it's nothing earth-shattering.....I don't want to put it out there before it's officially announced. I'll just say that it's a new service.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think the segment that's missing in this discussion is international. Google Bill Logue's recent comments. We need the aircraft for international. China, India. Can't get there by truck. Please give us more info on "Project Condor."

Maybe "Project Condor" is where FedEx Ground "swoops" in and takes away E2 and SO.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Maybe we're going back to Sunday del. service. Man, do I get a kick out of seeing one of those old air bills.

Oh no, wait, maybe we're gonna offer FO SUN service? Like this ridiculous FO SAT serv. Bah ha ha.

10-27

I heard Project Condor is going to be a two day P1 service. Due by 1030 on the second business day. A little more expensive than sos, not quite as expensive as next day P1. Also, were supposed to start a program called deffered service. This means you cannot deliver a package until the day its due, even if you have a delivery for the same stop the same day. Much like when we leave tue and wed stuff behind on Monday, we will start doing that each day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I heard Project Condor is going to be a two day P1 service. Due by 1030 on the second business day. A little more expensive than sos, not quite as expensive as next day P1. Also, were supposed to start a program called deffered service. This means you cannot deliver a package until the day its due, even if you have a delivery for the same stop the same day. Much like when we leave tue and wed stuff behind on Monday, we will start doing that each day.

It should be interesting to see how management monitors compliance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If UPS introduces a new product or time commitment on an existing service, you can bet FedEx will duplicate it.

...and vice versa. Our Mail Innovations was introduced in response to your Smart Post.

The one thing I don't agree with is your deferred service. Do you really have packages in your stations that do not get delivered until their "due date"? We used to do this when Second Day Air was first introduced. Packages would sit in our air hub and were not released until the appropriate day. We soon learned it was cheaper just to put them in to the system as soon as we got them and customers soon learned that they could send premium packages 2DA rather than NDA (within a defined radius) and they would get there the next day.

I personally offer Same Day Delivery. I pick up at our local college book store and when they send out their book orders at the start of each semester I will often get packages for stops or addresses that I will drive by later in the day. My boss hates it when I do it but if I can get rid of it I do.

newgirl

...and vice versa. Our Mail Innovations was introduced in response to your Smart Post.

The one thing I don't agree with is your deferred service. Do you really have packages in your stations that do not get delivered until their "due date"? We used to do this when Second Day Air was first introduced. Packages would sit in our air hub and were not released until the appropriate day. We soon learned it was cheaper just to put them in to the system as soon as we got them and customers soon learned that they could send premium packages 2DA rather than NDA (within a defined radius) and they would get there the next day.

I personally offer Same Day Delivery. I pick up at our local college book store and when they send out their book orders at the start of each semester I will often get packages for stops or addresses that I will drive by later in the day. My boss hates it when I do it but if I can get rid of it I do.

Yes we do. What a great time to roll that out. We have a new system that puts a sticker on the pkg letting the sorters know what route takes it out (we still load our own trucks) If the pkg isn't due that day, the gun will produce a sticker that shows the day due so the pkg can be staged.

First day they implemented it the guns put some wrong labels on some pkgs and they were left behind. One manager was so frustrated he just sent everything out and said he would deal wih the consequences.

vantexan

The one thing I don't agree with is your deferred service. Do you really have packages in your stations that do not get delivered until their "due date"?.

Every FedEx station has a few different things done based on operational needs. At my station most couriers are either 5X8's Mon thru Fri or 4X10's. Some of us are 5X8's Tues thru Sat. To give us Monday off they only take out only Mon freight and break up our Tue-Sat rts among several couriers. The rest of the week if it comes in that morning we're expected to take it or get permission not to. I've been at other stations where if we felt we're too heavy we just left next days under the belt. Not fun if you are a 4X10 because guy covering your rt on your day off almost always left next days, or at least problem ones.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Every FedEx station has a few different things done based on operational needs. At my station most couriers are either 5X8's Mon thru Fri or 4X10's. Some of us are 5X8's Tues thru Sat. To give us Monday off they only take out only Mon freight and break up our Tue-Sat rts among several couriers. The rest of the week if it comes in that morning we're expected to take it or get permission not to. I've been at other stations where if we felt we're too heavy we just left next days under the belt. Not fun if you are a 4X10 because guy covering your rt on your day off almost always left next days, or at least problem ones.

OK, this is starting to make sense to me, but what happens when a customer tracks their package and it shows an arrival scan of Monday and a scheduled delivery date of Tuesday?

LTFedExer

Our station doesn't deliver Tuesday/Wednesday packages on Mondays unless their tag-alongs. This will change during peak.....guaranteed.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Just call in sick the day after your day off and that guy can be elected to run your route with all those "problem packages" he left under the belt the day before.