What if UPS went to a

scoutjumper

What if UPS went to a 4 day 40 hour work week. You would work 10 hours a day. Anything over 10 hours is time and a half. However half of the drivers would be off on Monday and the other half would be off on Friday. Now this is just a what if question. Would you support it or not. Why or why not. I am not saying that this is even possible. Less money more time with family.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The Monday and Friday off wouldn't work. Would have to rotate all days of the week equally. For me personally it wouldn't work, my wife would miss the 10 hours of overtime.

QKRSTKR

I would love that. But that's wishful thinking.

Is UPS bizzaro world? Everyone else in these tough economic time have reduced hours below 40 a week and absoulutly no overtime. We in Pkgs. are likely to make more $$$$$ this year than any other. On the upside though at least we haven't had to participate in this recession from money point of view. :happy-very:

Brown Rocket

I would love that. But that's wishful thinking.

Is UPS bizzaro world? Everyone else in these tough economic time have reduced hours below 40 a week and absoulutly no overtime. We in Pkgs. are likely to make more $$$$$ this year than any other. On the upside though at least we haven't had to participate in this recession from money point of view. :happy-very:

Speak for yourself. Your overtime is my paycheck. I have been laid off for over 3 months watching everyone leave the building in red and come in at 10pm while I am finishing up my second shift trying to get my 8 hours so my check that used to be 1100 dollars will break at lest 400.

I made 10 grand more a year working part time and pre-loading than I have any year I have drove.

Brown Rocket

if you have the seniority you can do this now. if your center has extra drivers then you go home instead of them.

Unless your center manager wont let anyone do that. Ours makes you take a whole week (and lose your benefits for the week) or not one day at all. That's why we have an average 21 drivers laid off. We made it to 32.

Our old center manager used to let everyone drive 3 days at least. If you hadn't gotten a ride be Tuesday you preloaded the rest of the week.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I think it should still be OT after 8, as your extra 2 hrs would likely be spent washing cars or pushing a broom.

I worked for [-]a[/-] the cable company in NYC and worked 4-10's. The 3rd day off would rotate every 3 months.

The way I would do it is a weekly rotation of days. Divide the day by 8 hour increments,highest 20% of seniority in each 8 hour group gets Monday off. Next 20% get Tuesday,etc. The following week it moves ahead one day. First group gets Tuesday,second get Wednesday,etc. That way everyone regardless of seniority will eventually get Mondays and Fridays off.

happybob

Feeders
What if UPS went to a 4 day 40 hour work week. You would work 10 hours a day. Anything over 10 hours is time and a half. However half of the drivers would be off on Monday and the other half would be off on Friday. Now this is just a what if question. Would you support it or not. Why or why not. I am not saying that this is even possible. Less money more time with family.
Souns like a good idea, but, the company wont try it. You see, the contract calls for overtime after eight, therefor you would get 32 straight time hours and 8 overtime hours. Sign me up!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Souns like a good idea, but, the company wont try it. You see, the contract calls for overtime after eight, therefor you would get 32 straight time hours and 8 overtime hours. Sign me up!

Obviously any change in our work schedule would be accompanied by an amendment to our contract. The 8 hour guarantee would be changed to 10 and overtime would begin after 10 hours, not 8.

I would love working 4 10s.

rocket man

im all for that.

diesel96

We have some 4/10 schedules in feeders......o/t only after ten hrs.
In order for pkg car centers to make this work, is for every four drivers with a permanent 4/10 route, there has to be one 4/10 cover driver, assigned to cover their days off...... so in other words:

100.... drivers in the Center
80 .....4/10 routes= 20 groups of 4 drivers each
20......cover drivers= 1 cover driver per group

Question is ....Are one-fifth (1/5th) of the drivers in the Center willing to work a different route everyday?

Dustyroads

I usually take a day or two off every week, allowing one of the drivers on the bottom of the list to work. There are a few old drivers who do this every week. This practice allows great flexibility for management in having the right number of drivers available every day, without operating in a crisis mode. If someone calls in sick on a day I'm usually taking off, I'm available to come to work, freeing up my cover driver.

For me, the time off is far more valuable than the extra money. And, after more than thirty years behind the wheel of a package car, my body appreciates it as well.