what if wife goes into labor?

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
Congrats! My wife and I had my daughter 6 months ago, had same concerns and luckily my wife went into labor about an hour after I got home from work, so I just called up that night and said I wouldn't be in next day and that is keep them posted on when is return....I agree with some posts here, make sure they know your situation, my sups all knew the deal, one decent one would even ask how the wife was and keep saying any day now...here something else to consider, labor for the most part, is a looooong ordeal, our doctor even told us, your wife's water breaks don't freak out, take your time and get to hospital nice and easy, because most labors are like anywhere from 12 to 24 hours long, I'm not saying finish your route or anything but if she goes into labor, I would not leave the truck anywhere and bolt to hospital unless you have a strong desire to work at fedex after you have your child, just call it in and drive safely back , most births don't happen fast dude,

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
My wife did go into labor while I was on route. Management was well aware so when she called me I called them. My soup asked me to try and finish any business stops on my way back to the building. I said I'll try but ended up just going straight in. Just don't forget, this place will stay in business and get packages delivered just fine without you. Doesn't matter if it's first or seventh you should be there to be the first person to greet your child into this messed up world.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Be thankful of cellphones also. I've heard of a few drivers getting back at night and being told your wife called she's having the baby. Yeah she called at 9 am.

rod

Retired 22 years
Be thankful of cellphones also. I've heard of a few drivers getting back at night and being told your wife called she's having the baby. Yeah she called at 9 am.

There was a time when you may as well been delivering on a different planet if you had an emergency during the day. Especially if you were running a rural route. When my Dad had his heart attack and passed away it took them probably 3 hours to find me out in the sticks. My center manager finally ran into me out in the sticks and told me to take his car back to the center and get in touch with my wife. I knew immediately that something was really wrong.

There was a time when you may as well been delivering on a different planet if you had an emergency during the day. Especially if you were running a rural route. When my Dad had his heart attack and passed away it took them probably 3 hours to find me out in the sticks. My center manager finally ran into me out in the sticks and told me to take his car back to the center and get in touch with my wife. I knew immediately that something was really wrong.
Sorry Rod.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sorry Rod.

No need to feel sorry---that's just the way things were years ago. Dad lived a long-full-exciting life. If he were alive today that American Pickers show would be banging on his door wanting to see his collections of "junk". If I had a choice that's the way I would want to go----bang its over--to long drawn out suffering or hospital/nursing home crap.

johnny_hotdog

I will definitely talk to my sup about this. We already picked our vacation weeks but luckily I have a week close to the due date. I Will have to look into fmla stuff for sure. Don't know if I will ever have another child as this one was quite a surprise so I definitely want to make sure I am there for the birth. I have also read a lot of research saying that the fathers feel more emotionally attached to the child if they are present for their birth.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Anyone ever drop a route for a close family death? I was curious about these things too.
Pre diad, pre cell phone I dropped my kid at the hospital, was there from like 8pm. til I had to open the building at 3am. They told me that was fine, then no one came in to relieve me til 8am, and then they needed me to run air. When I got back to the building, I heard yeah the hospital has been calling. Because the hospital reassured me he would be fine, and I was fearful for my job (mgmt) my son almost had a burst appendix, and they were very non chalant when they finally told me. Would never do it again, but at the time I didnt know any better. They knew my son was in the hospital, I was the only parent, and the only source of income. I still get p'oed when I think about it. The doctor yelled at me, everyone treated me like I was an uncaring parent, the shifts had changed so no one knew I had been there the whole evening. Felt like a big pile of crap, but my son was fine, and in the end thats all that matters. But knowing what I know now, I never would have left. FAMILY First.

box_beeyotch

Pre diad, pre cell phone I dropped my kid at the hospital, was there from like 8pm. til I had to open the building at 3am. They told me that was fine, then no one came in to relieve me til 8am, and then they needed me to run air. When I got back to the building, I heard yeah the hospital has been calling. Because the hospital reassured me he would be fine, and I was fearful for my job (mgmt) my son almost had a burst appendix, and they were very non chalant when they finally told me. Would never do it again, but at the time I didnt know any better. They knew my son was in the hospital, I was the only parent, and the only source of income. I still get p'oed when I think about it. The doctor yelled at me, everyone treated me like I was an uncaring parent, the shifts had changed so no one knew I had been there the whole evening. Felt like a big pile of crap, but my son was fine, and in the end thats all that matters. But knowing what I know now, I never would have left. FAMILY First.

I agree with you 100 percent. I was just wondering how it would be handled today, as in say you get a cell phone call saying your mother or father is in the hospital with something serious during route. Personally, I don't care what they'd say I'd take it back with 1030 commits left and go straight to the hospital.

JackStraw

As soon as you get the call,tell your bride to relax, breathe, and put on clean underwear.Hang up the phone and call your center to inform them that your wife is going into labor and I am bringing the route back. End of story.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I will definitely talk to my sup about this. We already picked our vacation weeks but luckily I have a week close to the due date. I Will have to look into fmla stuff for sure. Don't know if I will ever have another child as this one was quite a surprise so I definitely want to make sure I am there for the birth. I have also read a lot of research saying that the fathers feel more emotionally attached to the child if they are present for their birth.
Over thinking. You become emotionally attached as the kid becomes a person. Put down the Dr. Spock books. Lol.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When I found out my husband had a heart attack, on route, they sent everyone scurrying to help, and got me to my personal truck and offered to drive me where he was, as I left them in my dust....2007. Which was a good thing, as I would have absolutely no one to call to come get me. On your own in todays world. I will give them that, they were there for me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pre-DIAD, pre cell phone, my son broke his wrist when he fell of the monkey bars. His mother was working across the lake and they couldn't get in touch with me so his grandfather ended up taking him to the ER.

tacken

Anyone ever drop a route for a close family death? I was curious about these things too.
Not a death dad had a massive stroke. Got a call from my mom. Went back to building told Sup and left. FAMILY FIRST!!!!!!! UPS will figure out how to cover a route if not to bad..