what if wife goes into labor?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I will definitely talk to my sup about this. We already picked our vacation weeks but luckily I have a week close to the due date. I Will have to look into fmla stuff for sure. Don't know if I will ever have another child as this one was quite a surprise so I definitely want to make sure I am there for the birth. I have also read a lot of research saying that the fathers feel more emotionally attached to the child if they are present for their birth.

Also one last piece of advice and it's important! If she happens to go into labor while your on route, when you do get to the hospital grab yourself something to eat. My wife's labor took forever and by the time we got up to the room after she had them it was like 2100. I know she did all all the work but man I was ready to pass out bro.

moldsporh

OP, you didn't state whether or not you had FMLA lined up. If you dont, get it done yesterday.

Would be sweet to time a birth the 1st week in december and roll 12 weeks through winter...lol. Naturally that makes for a long summer.

Good luck, and don't miss the birth for anything. Those boxes will get delivered, your kid is more important.

johnny_hotdog

OP, you didn't state whether or not you had FMLA lined up. If you dont, get it done yesterday.

Would be sweet to time a birth the 1st week in december and roll 12 weeks through winter...lol. Naturally that makes for a long summer.

Good luck, and don't miss the birth for anything. Those boxes will get delivered, your kid is more important.

Ya im gonna look into the FMLA stuff this weekend. I think it varies by state as to how much time you can take off and I will have to look into what the contract says as well.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Make sure your phone is fully charged every day. Also, when it gets closer to the due date, call her a couple of times during the day to see how she is doing. Make sure you let your bosses know of any developments, they hate surprises.

SandW357

My friend's wife went into labor during peak. He brought the package car back to the building and went to the hospital. Needless to say they were not happy about it, but they knew it before hand and he had his FMLA ducks in a row before hand.

twoweeled

So me and my wife have a baby on the way and it got me thinking about what if she were to go into labor while I was at work? Since I am a cover driver I wont really know how far away I will be at the time and I obviously don't want to miss the birth. My thought is that when the time gets closer I will try to take routes that are closer to the hospital. Then if she were to go into labor I would just call a sup and say the truck will be in the parking lot, good luck ;) but I don't really know if there is any protocol for this or any contractual language. Anyone dealt with this before? What would you do in this situation?

In my opinion, this is going to depend heavily on your management team. Sadly, my guess is the majority of management teams are going to react the same NOW. It's dog eat dog now, buddy. Management is only going to do what they have to do, or what benefits them. We have to do the same. That "we are family " crap is long gone. Family leave act might play here, but I'm not sure. Be careful of the "just call us and we'll get someone out there" BS. Remember - it's get the route/run done, then get the driver to see his baby born. Number 2 is a distant second.