What is being a package car driver like?

JL 0513

since this and FedEx hit the stockmarket, you have to deliver like the following vid:

it's all about productivity & how much they can squeeze out of you before you quit or reach that retirement #...

why are some of you sticking past 20 years is beyond my reasoning (body already broken? marriage out the window? kids grown up?)

That video is pretty damn funny.

Yes it's all about productivity but it's ultimately about staying in business. UPS can't just be laid back and continue to operate "like the good 'ol days" and expect FedEx and others to do the same and not bury us. Every industry continues to become more and more fierce. If you aren't among the best, you're done.

Look at the auto industry and the vast improvements across the board just in the last 5-10 years. Particularly with American and Korean cars. They were garbage until recently and now they can compete. It takes a massive amount of effort and resources but now after almost going out of business, the American automakers are strong. Point is, you can't get comfortable doing things easy. When everyone around you is getting better and more efficient, you better do the same. Or die.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If you want to make a lot of money but absolutely have no life at all during the week, and have your body broken down by the time your 35 to 40 years old go for it. That's the reality of it, that aint sugar coating it. Get ready to get home between 8 and 10pm almost every night of the week. If you ever wanted to know what it feels like to be a slave and be in prison most of the day and night go driving lol. If you do go driving, follow these 3 steps. 1. Don't have any kids because youll never see them and be a deadbeat dad who never sees them and its all on your wife, which in my opinion isn't fair to her. 2. Live at home as long as you can and or rent a place for cheap so you can save a lot of money so you can giddy up out of here, because physically youll be lucky to do this job for 10 to 15 because it has gotten so hard. 3. Stuff your 401k or IRA whichever you choose to the max every week and try to be debt free. This job aint no joke son. If you do 10 to 15 years you can get a pension from here and maybe start another career where you can get a pension from there also. Its all bout business all the time youngblood. The new generation of drivers will never see full retirement, that's what the company wants. Their already trying to break down the guys and gals who have 10 to 15 years in and a lot of years left. Anybody who thinks its a coincidence with how their busting out routes and killing drivers with stop counts and more and more work, you are right. That's their plan whether they say it or not, and if nobody believes that they are foolish.

Sometimes I think that you are exaggerating. There are drivers in my center with 19+ yrs with the company who can walk, dance and jump like a young man. Maybe because they have always been in good shape and take their time.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I also started at 17, I'm 19 now, and I'm also trying to figure out what to do for a living. I would recommend attending some classes at a local community college if you want to work in a white collar environment, or technical school if you want to work in a blue collar environment. This is what I'm doing.

I actually enjoy working at UPS. A few months ago I would let this job get to me, but now I have learned enjoy myself the best I can while I'm at work, even when I'm working doubles, having a supervisor trying to push my buttons or dealing with extreme temperatures.

But you should have a backup plan away from UPS. 30 years from now is a long ways away and you never know what the future might hold. If you are unskilled and you lose your job as a UPS driver, your most likely going to lose half of your pay and the other excellent benefits UPS has at another job.

Same age, same situation.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Easy to look at cover of a book and make a judgement but unless you know what is actually inside that book you wont know. Sure there may be drivers that look like their not in any type of pain, but trust me if they've been doing this job for a while they have some type of repetitive pain going on in their body. Your body isn't designed to do this job in the repetitive fashion that this job requires.

The Milkman

If you want to make a lot of money but absolutely have no life at all during the week, and have your body broken down by the time your 35 to 40 years old go for it. That's the reality of it, that aint sugar coating it. Get ready to get home between 8 and 10pm almost every night of the week. If you ever wanted to know what it feels like to be a slave and be in prison most of the day and night go driving lol. If you do go driving, follow these 3 steps. 1. Don't have any kids because youll never see them and be a deadbeat dad who never sees them and its all on your wife, which in my opinion isn't fair to her. 2. Live at home as long as you can and or rent a place for cheap so you can save a lot of money so you can giddy up out of here, because physically youll be lucky to do this job for 10 to 15 because it has gotten so hard. 3. Stuff your 401k or IRA whichever you choose to the max every week and try to be debt free. This job aint no joke son. If you do 10 to 15 years you can get a pension from here and maybe start another career where you can get a pension from there also. Its all bout business all the time youngblood. The new generation of drivers will never see full retirement, that's what the company wants. Their already trying to break down the guys and gals who have 10 to 15 years in and a lot of years left. Anybody who thinks its a coincidence with how their busting out routes and killing drivers with stop counts and more and more work, you are right. That's their plan whether they say it or not, and if nobody believes that they are foolish.

Well Said!!! The Truth has been spoken........If you ever make it that long as a driver all you read posted here will come True.....

paddy_boy

The way I describe full time package driving: it's the worst job at UPS, with the best hours (feeder is the best job, with the worst hours). I wouldn't put too much stock in the horror stories; if it was THAT bad, no one would want to work there. SOMEONE has to do it, and it sure as hell won't be management! It's definitely a tough job, but if you can handle it, there's a sweet payoff at the end (don't underestimate the value of a pension - how many other companies offer one these days?). I'm 55, and retiring at the end of the year; I NEVER planned on working at UPS my whole life, but once I got to know some of the drivers & picked their brains about the job, I decided to go for it, and now, 28 years later, I'm glad I stuck with it. Just remember: seniority is king at UPS; the longer you stick with it, the better it gets. A college degree is a great thing, but it's no guarantee of happiness. I know lots of college grads with no money in the bank, and nothing to retire with but a mediocre 401k. It's definitely not an easy job, and it's definitely not for everyone, but if you can hack it, you'll be making more money than some doctors make, you'll be getting lots of vacation time the longer you work, and above-average medical & dental, which will make you VERY attractive to all of those pretty young receptionists you'll be meeting! If you were older, I would say it's not worth the trouble; it's a young man's game. And it's very physically and mentally demanding; you'll have your fair share of "quitting days", where you'll be tempted to park the truck with the keys in it and walk home. But in my experience, bad days only last a day, and your fellow drivers will be there to help you out, just like you'll help them out. If you get a chance, talk to some of the drivers in your center; they'll be happy to fill in the details. Ultimately, it's your decision, but being the old busy-body that I am, just thought I'd throw in my $.02. Good luck!

Re-Raise

A full time job with benefits,pension,401k isn't a guarantee of happiness neither.
As a man he shouldn't care about having med and den so he could be attractive to the opposite sex,but instead having med and den so he could be healthy.stop living your life for women/finding a mate.
It's bad enough when the Coke delivery guy takes my parking spot.. now he comes on my UPS site and tells me what to do.

Foamer Pyle

I would have recommended this job to someone in your position 20 years ago. However, this company doesn't care about its people, management or hourly anymore. Once you get sucked into UPS, you will have a hard time getting out, unless you have a solid back up plan. A college degree doesn't guarantee a job, but it will open more doors, and provide better opportunities.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

The way I describe full time package driving: it's the worst job at UPS, with the best hours (feeder is the best job, with the worst hours). I wouldn't put too much stock in the horror stories; if it was THAT bad, no one would want to work there. SOMEONE has to do it, and it sure as hell won't be management! It's definitely a tough job, but if you can handle it, there's a sweet payoff at the end (don't underestimate the value of a pension - how many other companies offer one these days?). I'm 55, and retiring at the end of the year; I NEVER planned on working at UPS my whole life, but once I got to know some of the drivers & picked their brains about the job, I decided to go for it, and now, 28 years later, I'm glad I stuck with it. Just remember: seniority is king at UPS; the longer you stick with it, the better it gets. A college degree is a great thing, but it's no guarantee of happiness. I know lots of college grads with no money in the bank, and nothing to retire with but a mediocre 401k. It's definitely not an easy job, and it's definitely not for everyone, but if you can hack it, you'll be making more money than some doctors make, you'll be getting lots of vacation time the longer you work, and above-average medical & dental, which will make you VERY attractive to all of those pretty young receptionists you'll be meeting! If you were older, I would say it's not worth the trouble; it's a young man's game. And it's very physically and mentally demanding; you'll have your fair share of "quitting days", where you'll be tempted to park the truck with the keys in it and walk home. But in my experience, bad days only last a day, and your fellow drivers will be there to help you out, just like you'll help them out. If you get a chance, talk to some of the drivers in your center; they'll be happy to fill in the details. Ultimately, it's your decision, but being the old busy-body that I am, just thought I'd throw in my $.02. Good luck!

I agree with much of your post except the opening where you say it's the worse job at UPS. Then why is it the most sought after (along with feeders)?

Loading is worse. Unloading is worse. Preloader is worse. Being a sup is arguably worse. Shall I go on?