What is being a package car driver like?

JL 0513

About college...

Remember if you go to college you gotta get in the field fairly quickly. Just a couple years not employed in the field you have a degree in can kill any chance of ever getting back in. Remember there's always competition waiting in line either fresh out of college or with years of experience looking to switch companies.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I can only give you advice about life as a UPSer. YOU have to consider what college would provide for your future.

The job of a driver is demanding, dirty and physical. You will ache and hurt at times. You will be disenchanted and surprised by management's lack of concern and loyalty to you.

But, you will make a wage that many, many people would love to earn. You will be paid for your sweat and toil and there truly is no way to skirt around the hard labor involved. But, you will breathe fresh air everyday and feel the sun on your face. You will earn a wage that will allow to own a modest home and raise a family, and if you live within your means, you can provide enough to allow your spouse to stay home, while you earn the bread.

The key to this job is to live within your means and not try to keep up with the Jones'. Make an honest wage, provide for your family, move on to feeder, then retire old and a little wobbly in the back and knees. It's honest work, but it ain't easy.

The Milkman

This has not been my experience and I dare say has not been the experience for others on this forum.

My reply to the post in my opinion descibes life at UPS for most people. After over 25 yrs dealing with all the crap they threw at me I would think I am capable of making that statement. I did like my job at times but after going public UPS really went downhill. Their concern for numbers over customer service which grew this company went out the door. Working the customer counter the last 8 years also showed me how mgmt lies to the customers, many times being at the receiving end of those lies, being blasted at the counter, cussed at etc because of either the ctr/ mgr/sup or 800 # giving out conflicting information about a missed delivery, a same day will call that went bad, the list goes on and on.. Again I will say.......In due time most will feel like the post I originally replied to because they went through years of crap. Maybe you are a yes man? I don't know but most Drivers are not a happy group these days.Those with 20 yrs or so with the company would more than likely agree that their lives M-friend are a mental and obviously a physical drain on their bodies

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Upstate knows not much about the company as he was hired off the street. So since he's still a driver, I think it's safe to say he hasn't held any other job but the driver's job. Of course this gives him the right to speak for everyone else's opinion on this forum. He's in the minds of all the loaders and unloaders because he has such a great interaction with all of them. He also has great intuitiveness about all clerks too and what happens throughout their days.

I'm telling you Upstate, until you get to stay behind in the building working as a full time clerk, you've no idea what the hell goes on in daily activity. It would make your head spin at what the company gets away with.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate knows not much about the company as he was hired off the street. So since he's still a driver, I think it's safe to say he hasn't held any other job but the driver's job. Of course this gives him the right to speak for everyone else's opinion on this forum. He's in the minds of all the loaders and unloaders because he has such a great interaction with all of them. He also has great intuitiveness about all clerks too and what happens throughout their days.

I'm telling you Upstate, until you get to stay behind in the building working as a full time clerk, you've no idea what the hell goes on in daily activity. It would make your head spin at what the company gets away with.

25 years in so I think I have a pretty good handle on the company as a whole at the center level.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
What package car is like: You'll make more than 90% of the country and still insist that you're an under-appreciated, overworked, persecuted lout.

The Milkman

Your Right!! He has no clue! 25 years at Ups? In his own world I would assume..Talk to any driver today out making deliveries and ask them how Great working at Ups is, more than likely the only positive thing they may say is that the pay is decent.

Rainman

Its all good.
I went to college several semesters while working part time. Like you, I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do. If I had to do it all over again, I would go full time as soon as possible while taking college courses at an online university. Keep your expenses low so that when you get a degree you will be able to switch jobs if you decide that delivery isn't for you. The job really isn't bad, but the hours really suck and the older you get the more the physical aspect bothers you. This way you keep your options open.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
This job is great when you are young and single. The job starts getting tough when you mix in spouse. It really gets horrible when kids are involved. Once your kids get older and there is less pressure to attend school functions, your body starts to give out. One good thing is being able to retire after 30 years. This job isn't for everyone. You have to be tough, stubborn, thick skinned, on top of all the things UPS expects of us.

Ant12

The way I describe full time package driving: it's the worst job at UPS, with the best hours (feeder is the best job, with the worst hours). I wouldn't put too much stock in the horror stories; if it was THAT bad, no one would want to work there. SOMEONE has to do it, and it sure as hell won't be management! It's definitely a tough job, but if you can handle it, there's a sweet payoff at the end (don't underestimate the value of a pension - how many other companies offer one these days?). I'm 55, and retiring at the end of the year; I NEVER planned on working at UPS my whole life, but once I got to know some of the drivers & picked their brains about the job, I decided to go for it, and now, 28 years later, I'm glad I stuck with it. Just remember: seniority is king at UPS; the longer you stick with it, the better it gets. A college degree is a great thing, but it's no guarantee of happiness. I know lots of college grads with no money in the bank, and nothing to retire with but a mediocre 401k. It's definitely not an easy job, and it's definitely not for everyone, but if you can hack it, you'll be making more money than some doctors make, you'll be getting lots of vacation time the longer you work, and above-average medical & dental, which will make you VERY attractive to all of those pretty young receptionists you'll be meeting! If you were older, I would say it's not worth the trouble; it's a young man's game. And it's very physically and mentally demanding; you'll have your fair share of "quitting days", where you'll be tempted to park the truck with the keys in it and walk home. But in my experience, bad days only last a day, and your fellow drivers will be there to help you out, just like you'll help them out. If you get a chance, talk to some of the drivers in your center; they'll be happy to fill in the details. Ultimately, it's your decision, but being the old busy-body that I am, just thought I'd throw in my $.02. Good luck!
Are you sure that's the worst job at UPS? Breaking ur back as a loader for 8.50 and hour sounds a little worse. I'm fully aware that drivers are harder than the average job but it's great for someone who hadn't gone to college and the pay is great

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
This job is great when you are young and single. The job starts getting tough when you mix in spouse. It really gets horrible when kids are involved. Once your kids get older and there is less pressure to attend school functions, your body starts to give out. One good thing is being able to retire after 30 years. This job isn't for everyone. You have to be tough, stubborn, thick skinned, on top of all the things UPS expects of us.
If you can make it to 30. Anybody hired after the year 2000 will probably not make it 30 years as a driver physically.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What package car is like: You'll make more than 90% of the country and still insist that you're an under-appreciated, overworked, persecuted lout.
This is where your "twilight shift..I work inside a trailer" ignorance is blatantly obvious. You really need to check yourself, because you have no idea what you're talking about. You've never even seen the inside of a blown out package car...

Johnny Paycheck

This is where your "twilight shift..I work inside a trailer" ignorance is blatantly obvious. You really need to check yourself, because you have no idea what you're talking about.
Which part am I ignorant about? The 90% number or the fact that drivers just bitch and moan all day? One is an easily proven statistic and one is a subjective observation of mine.

You're right, I load a trailer and you load a package car. Those are two completely different things.

Pooter

Remember you only get 1 shot at life and not everybody makes it to retirement.

Always aim for something higher than UPS driver. Keep UPS part time while working on college.

If all else fails then fall back on a HORRIBLE job with great perks :)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Which part am I ignorant about? The 90% number or the fact that drivers just bitch and moan all day? One is an easily proven statistic and one is a subjective observation of mine.
Not the money...the job. You don't think most drivers are friend'd at least 3x times a week with screwed up dispatch and blown out trucks? Not to mention Helen Keller loaders. You work inside a trailer...when do you even SEE a driver on your shift, unless he's sprinting out the building to his car...much less hear them pissing and moaning?

Johnny Paycheck

Not the money...the job. You don't think most drivers are friend'd at least 3x times a week with screwed up dispatch and blown out trucks? Not to mention Helen Keller loaders. You work inside a trailer...when do you even SEE a driver on your shift, unless he's sprinting out the building to his car...much less hear them pissing and moaning?
Break room. This place. And whenever I'm running an "Open house." Which is what loaders call it when the feeder comes in and watches you wrap up the trailer while making small talk. Usually about how he used to be some kind of prodigy at loading.but those were back in the days when he went to bed with a different woman every night.

And I didn't say a word about the job. I talked about pay and level of bitching.

I guess PTs never get screwed. We're just walking in a winter wonderland, year round.

Last edited: