What is considered harassment by supervisors?

hyena

Your only a slacker if your not giving it your best and you dont care. Maybe this guy does give it his best and hes a little slower then others. So what if hes trying thats all that matters.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Uh, in the context of what we are talking about only, THAT I DO THE JOB I AM BEING PAID FOR? Other than that, I don't know.

Ladies & gentleman, may I suggest that the following sentence explains why our country is in the shape it is in today;

"...Maybe this guy does give it his best and hes a little slower then others. So what if hes trying thats all that matters..."

Surely you can't be serious. And certainly you have never tried to run a business. The only way your statement makes sense is if you were talking about a player in a 7th grade little leage team.

hyena

Uh, in the context of what we are talking about only, THAT I DO THE JOB I AM BEING PAID FOR? Other than that, I don't know.
Look I dont know the guy, all im saying is if hes trying then hes going to get better. Theres no excuse for the sup to treat him that way. Bottom Line!
Ladies & gentleman, may I suggest that the following sentence explains why our country is in the shape it is in today;

"...Maybe this guy does give it his best and hes a little slower then others. So what if hes trying thats all that matters..."
Yea I stand behind this statement give him some more training help him out wheres the buddy system.
Surely you can't be serious. And certainly you have never tried to run a business. The only way your statement makes sense is if you were talking about a player in a 7th grade little leage team.
OH.... that explains it you must be management. I see.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
OH.... that explains it you must be management. I see.

Uh, no.

Welcome to the "Dumbing Down of America" club, the group that tells us we can't grade our kids ABCDF anymore, that everyone must pass to the next grade, the group that brought us college graduates that can't speak a proper full sentence even with a dictionary & a flashlight.

Tomorrow, I am walking in to my local hospital, and demanding to be a brain surgeon. I may not know what I am doing, but I know I'll try real hard. The brain is on top, right?

Not busting on you specifically - America, unfortunately, has too many people that believe as you do, and that is why we are getting our asses handed to us by other countries that have what we lost long ago - standards.

hyena

Uh, no.

Welcome to the "Dumbing Down of America" club, the group that tells us we can't grade our kids ABCDF anymore, that everyone must pass to the next grade, the group that brought us college graduates that can't speak a proper full sentence even with a dictionary & a flashlight.

Tomorrow, I am walking in to my local hospital, and demanding to be a brain surgeon. I may not know what I am doing, but I know I'll try real hard. The brain is on top, right?

Not busting on you specifically - America, unfortunately, has too many people that believe as you do, and that is why we are getting our asses handed to us by other countries that have what we lost long ago - standards.
Dude all im doing is trying to put myself in his shoes. It just seems to me like the guy wants to excel or he wouldnt have even come here seeking advice. Im not saying you walk into a job that you cant do. I never would do that but then again I always seem to triumph. Im just trying to give him good advice. Why not help thy neighbor though?

rocket man

TO BENIFITS ARE GREAT READ YOUR OWN WORDS WHY YOU HAVE GOOD BENIFITS? Because of the men and womenwho were way befor you and me. IF some one gets harrsed at all write a letter of concern and a grivience THATS WHY THERES A CONTRACT WE HAVE RIGHTS.and good benifits, I wonder if your in the union?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Dude all im doing is trying to put myself in his shoes. It just seems to me like the guy wants to excel or he wouldnt have even come here seeking advice. Im not saying you walk into a job that you cant do. I never would do that but then again I always seem to triumph. Im just trying to give him good advice. Why not help thy neighbor though?

Take a look at my first post in this thread, I did.

What'dyabringmetoday???

TO BENIFITS ARE GREAT READ YOUR OWN WORDS WHY YOU HAVE GOOD BENIFITS? Because of the men and womenwho were way befor you and me. IF some one gets harrsed at all write a letter of concern and a grivience THATS WHY THERES A CONTRACT WE HAVE RIGHTS.and good benifits, I wonder if your in the union?
It would appear that this person does not like unions. Who knows if this person even works for UPS? Most newcomers don't give a crap about how the benefits or anything else were negotiated. They care about sneaking around trying to get as many hours as possible. By this, I mean part-timers doing full-tiime work and eliminating full-time jobs. Sorry for the hi-jack.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen

Just to clarify, then; My benefits are good (and they are) because the Union fights to keep an unqualified whiner in a position they cannot handle?

I am Union. I am union because I must be to be employed with UPS. I am a UPS employee. I am glad, thankful that my benefits, pay are above average. I do believe that Unions were very necessary back in the days of employee abuse. I have also recently seen a family member completely abandoned, ignored by a union that could not be bothered.

Sorry, I know this is gonna piss alot of people off, but as a human, look in your heart for a second; I am uncomfortable, embarassed even, at the thought of time, energy, and my union dues going towards a greivance because someone is being supervised because they cannot handle the second, more cushy job they have been given. This person would have been rightfully terminated at any non-union shop in the world, but instead of going to Staples to by Typing Tutor, they are gonna complain that they are being harassed? Personal responsibility, standards. Get some.

hyena

Just to clarify, then; My benefits are good (and they are) because the Union fights to keep an unqualified whiner in a position they cannot handle?
Wrong the Union protects them because its there job. To protect the people who are being harrassed. To protect the people from certain corporate greed. To protect the worker.
I am Union. I am union because I must be to be employed with UPS. I am a UPS employee. I am glad, thankful that my benefits, pay are above average. I do believe that Unions were very necessary back in the days of employee abuse. I have also recently seen a family member completely abandoned, ignored by a union that could not be bothered.
I can see how anti-Union you are lets hope you never have to call on them for help. What do you mean back in the day of employee abuse? Does it not happen now it probbably happens now more then ever. Some people may not see it though because it only took them three months to become a driver, was this luck?
Sorry, I know this is gonna piss alot of people off, but as a human, look in your heart for a second; I am uncomfortable, embarassed even, at the thought of time, energy, and my union dues going towards a greivance because someone is being supervised because they cannot handle the second, more cushy job they have been given. This person would have been rightfully terminated at any non-union shop in the world, but instead of going to Staples to by Typing Tutor, they are gonna complain that they are being harassed? Personal responsibility, standards. Get some.
He cant be all that bad he got his senority. (30 days right) He said hes been here a few months. As a human look in your heart he has to eat dont he therefore he needs to work if hes giving it his best for 8.50 an hour then he deserves his job. I do agree with you to an extent I am not promoting slackers and only the author of this thread knows if hes one or not, but if hes giving it his best then I will stand by him no matter what!

New Englander

He cant be all that bad he got his senority. (30 days right) He said hes been here a few months. As a human look in your heart he has to eat dont he therefore he needs to work if hes giving it his best for 8.50 an hour then he deserves his job. I do agree with you to an extent I am not promoting slackers and only the author of this thread knows if hes one or not, but if hes giving it his best then I will stand by him no matter what!

OMFG!!!!! You think because someone made their 30 days they can't be all that bad?
Do you even work for UPS?

He did not come on here asking for advice about how to do his job better. He came on here to ask for advice on management hounding him for not working fast enough.

LKLND3380

Why would you pull the PAL off?

We are supposed to pull the PAL placed near the Worldship Label to "properly load"

When a package is properly loaded the Worldship labels faes the front cab. We peel off the PAL so that it faces the outside - it can be seen when looking at the shelf... Loaded stop for stop...

LKLND3380

where does it say the driver has to deliver all his airs on time in the contract?

Where does it say the loader has to check every package in the contract.

The contract does not set performance and service standards the company does.

Contact says fair days work for fair days pay , company decides what a fair days work equals.

I have been wanting to see a copy of "job descriptions" for FIVE YEARS...

LKLND3380

This is why there are such great relations between unions & management & vice versa.

Everybody, on both sides, knows that the person can't perform and should not even be employed, but damn all that, I'm union, I'll fight to keep the job I am unqualified to do. Why? Because I can.

IF... The person can't do the job.... How did they make their 30 days? That is the real question...

LKLND3380

how does UPS number? you guys make it sound like UPS pulls random numbers out of their arsse an tells you to make them....no UPS makes number based on someone somehwere could do those numbers on a consistent basis

Show me this person... and how many over 70s or irregs this person has... How many package cars are they loading and what is there amount of misloads.

W

westsideworma

Why would you pull the PAL off?

we are told to have it faced for driver selection (a method at our building anyway). I'm not trying to say the company or my district is wrong for wanting it done as it did help with misloads, but wanting it in the same time as before (when we didn't have to) is just not smart. Trying to explain that to our manager (who has admittedly never preloaded) is like talking to a wall. Those of us who were preloaders before becoming supes get it, but as I said, no one listens. A comfortable speed for me when loading (with pulling and facing PALs) was around 200 (210 at the most). Thats with all labels pulled and about 1 misload a week or less. Granted it doesn't take much time but it adds up over the course of the day (some of those labels just don't come off that quick lol). Wouldn't the money we paid a PTimer be recouped by not having as many drivers making OT (no offense guys) due to less misloads (proven here) and better load quality (build and sequence). I dunno just a thought. If drivers can find everything or almost everything right away and not have to meet other drivers or run off misloads themselves, I think OT would go down a bit as well.

I had a test preloader (just my own personal research), one preloader I have almost never has misloads...he's also the one who always needs help as he's behind due to following all methods I've described. He consistently loads at around 195 an hour. His trucks are perfect (not kidding), everything in order and all kept together. However when he does have misloads (again almost never) we found it was when his pph went above 205. Now whether its due to him hustling a bit more (or we were able to send him help) I don't know, but the numbers didn't lie any day his pph was 205 or above he had a misload. He's at about 40,000-1 right now so I don't think he's got to worry about a warning letter lol, but that has to mean something. My comfort zone if you will was around the same using those methods. I honestly think thats what we need to look for. Ratcheting up the PPH each or every couple years doesn't make sense. It is the absolute same job I did when I started here and yet the standards keep going up, I know we need to try and get better each year but when it comes to people, theres only so much you can do. I think 200pph should where we stand. It seems to be the rate most loaders can comfortably (read: safely and accurately) follow the loading methods.

tieguy

Banned
Dont listen to tie guy. For you problem ARTICLE 52 EMPLOYEE MANAGEMENT RELATIONS.WRITE A GRIVANCE IT WILL WORK plus a separate letter to the union letter of consern good luck let me no what happens

It will work if your goal is to temporarily annoy management. Eventually she will have to get her job skills up to a level that management can live with. Until then she will continue getting a lot of unwanted attention.

I know we argue about performance results and your side loves to argue that the union does not recognize a specific production standard.

That does not mean a person can do 25 percent of what everyone else does and then protect theirselves by filing harrassment grievances.