What is considered overtime?

NickyNik

In the beginning I was told anything over 25 hours was considered overtime and that's how its always showed on my previous checks and on the OR Monday however I just looked at my pay stub and it showed 28 hrs regular pay and the rest in overtime. So is it only the extra shifts we work considered overtime?

By The Book

You must be part time? Common practice is anything over 5 hours is overtime. Ask a steward in your building, and you should also ask your immediate supervisor.

35years

Gravy route
Usually OT kicks in after 5 hours of work each day.
Did you work an extra day at 3 hours (6th punch?)
If so, that 3 hours should have likely been paid at overtime.
But each region has variations, so best to ask your steward, or better yet look up your regional supplement yourself.

browner89

In the beginning I was told anything over 25 hours was considered overtime and that's how its always showed on my previous checks and on the OR Monday however I just looked at my pay stub and it showed 28 hrs regular pay and the rest in overtime. So is it only the extra shifts we work considered overtime?

OT is based on a per-day basis here, not weekly hours. If you're part time, after 5/day = OT, FT, after 8/day = OT. Don't believe UPS is a 25/40hr model. I think every local is 5/8.

Edit: I don't believe we have any PT Saturday language in my local, but forced Sunday/Holiday = double time instead of OT.

NickyNik

Usually OT kicks in after 5 hours of work each day.
Did you work an extra day at 3 hours (6th punch?)
If so, that 3 hours should have likely been paid at overtime.
But each region has variations, so best to ask your steward, or better yet look up your regional supplement yourself.

Yes, I am part time. I did 5 hrs and 45 mins monday-thursday and 11 hours on Friday.

browner89

Yes, I am part time. I did 5 hrs and 45 mins monday-thursday and 11 hours on Friday.

Then you should have 9 hours of OT on the week.

Edit: Wtf happened on Friday that got you 11hours? We you doing double shifting as a helper/local sorter or Preload/helper? I believe any double shifting DQ's you from OT at 5 and only anything after 8 hours counts as OT, on a per-day basis.

UPS4Life

There's your problem they made your 11 hr day based off an 8hr straight pay. Don't know if it changes by local but in mine if you double your 5hr ot turns to ot after 8 which would be why you got 28hr straight pay.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In our local, PT can get 8 hours if they go over 5, but it is straight time. Anything over 8 will be paid at the OT rate.

MendozaJ

Did you get an hour unpaid lunch? If not, GRIEVE. If your steward does not help (seems to happen often in here) call the Department of Labor.

You should have been given the option of refusing the lunch and working the 5+OT.

Mr.Golden

OT is based on a per-day basis here, not weekly hours. If you're part time, after 5/day = OT, FT, after 8/day = OT. Don't believe UPS is a 25/40hr model. I think every local is 5/8.

Edit: I don't believe we have any PT Saturday language in my local, but forced Sunday/Holiday = double time instead of OT.
Unless he is on a golf cart or driver helper OT doesn't exist

NickyNik

Did you get an hour unpaid lunch? If not, GRIEVE. If your steward does not help (seems to happen often in here) call the Department of Labor.

You should have been given the option of refusing the lunch and working the 5+OT.

No, our day shift ends at 4:15 and twilight starts at 4:30. But now that I know that's how it works I won't be double shifting anymore. Thank you.

Moneythehardway

If you work one shift (part-time) it is OT after 5 hours, NO matter if you work 8 or 12 hours it is OT after 5 hours.

However if you DOUBLE-shift (work preload, reload, driver helper or any combination of them) it is OT after 8 hours.

PT Car Washer

If you work one shift (part-time) it is OT after 5 hours, NO matter if you work 8 or 12 hours it is OT after 5 hours.

However if you DOUBLE-shift (work preload, reload, driver helper or any combination of them) it is OT after 8 hours.
Not at my building. OT after 5 hours unless you driver help or work under Art. 40.