What is expected for new seasonal drivers?

sorefeet

I've been driving on my own for 3 weeks now & except for my 1st day I've never needed a driver to take any work off me. I average about 130-160 stops a day & my last stop is usually finished by 4:30 ( on a good day ) to 7 ( on a bad day ). Except for my 1st day which was a train wreck, I've never received any feedback from management. Since UPS doesn't strike me as a positive feedback type of company I'm guessing no feedback = doing a good job?

Our center manager keeps talking about peak & routes going out with 300 stops, I'm not sure how this is possible. Do they really expect brand new drivers to do 300 stops a day? I'm busting my ass now all day long ( only taking a 15-30 min lunch, eating while I organize my car ) to get 150 stops done.

I can't believe UPS spent millions on ORION, if I run ORION 100% I would be doing uturns on the busiest street on my route all day long! The other day I had a new section added to my route that I had never done, I had a school stop buried in my 8000 section that I didn't know about, I got there @ 4:00 & they were closed. The next day I had that school again on my route & ORION had it as the very last stop of my day! WTF

Oh, I forgot to say I have a whole new respect for the regular UPS drivers, this job is way, way tougher than I thought it would be. Many of the vets at my center have been super helpful as well.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It may seem very daunting the number of stops during peak but you have to take into consideration stop density. A street now may get two stops but during peak the same street may get six stops. An apartment building may get five stops now but will get ten stops later. What ever you do, don't panic. You will get done. Just work at a steady pace and work smart.

barnyard

KTM rider
You will get a helper. Start thinking about how and where it would be smart to use one. If you are in a 150 stop area, you are delivering to lots of places where you can stop and each of you delivers a stop or 2. If you are not delivering, you are getting the next stop in the cab for the helper to take. Watch for spots where you can drop your helper, go down the road, deliver, turn around and pick up the helper and off to the next stop. Stuff like that.

CHALLY9TX

You'll also get a helper. If your helper is good it will make your day easier. And in my experience no feedback is a good thing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You'll also get a helper. If your helper is good it will make your day easier. And in my experience no feedback is a good thing.

Our center manager singled out one of our new drivers during the PCM yesterday. On his first day the driver struggled and was 3 hours over. Rather than give up, he worked at it and yesterday he was .70 over, which included having to wait 20 minutes for a bulk pickup to finish processing packages. Take that away and he would have been about 20 minutes over.

For the most part, you are not going to get positive feedback on a daily basis, but would it really be that hard for your sup or center manager to say "good job" every once in a while?

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I've been driving on my own for 3 weeks now & except for my 1st day I've never needed a driver to take any work off me. I average about 130-160 stops a day & my last stop is usually finished by 4:30 ( on a good day ) to 7 ( on a bad day ). Except for my 1st day which was a train wreck, I've never received any feedback from management. Since UPS doesn't strike me as a positive feedback type of company I'm guessing no feedback = doing a good job?

Our center manager keeps talking about peak & routes going out with 300 stops, I'm not sure how this is possible. Do they really expect brand new drivers to do 300 stops a day? I'm busting my ass now all day long ( only taking a 15-30 min lunch, eating while I organize my car ) to get 150 stops done.

I can't believe UPS spent millions on ORION, if I run ORION 100% I would be doing uturns on the busiest street on my route all day long! The other day I had a new section added to my route that I had never done, I had a school stop buried in my 8000 section that I didn't know about, I got there @ 4:00 & they were closed. The next day I had that school again on my route & ORION had it as the very last stop of my day! WTF

Oh, I forgot to say I have a whole new respect for the regular UPS drivers, this job is way, way tougher than I thought it would be. Many of the vets at my center have been super helpful as well.
Im impressed! You have learned about the Nature of Big Brown in three weeks what it normally takes new drivers to learn in 3 years... Ups does not give a crap about us. Yes, they will expect you to do 300+ stops/day on tight grid rtes, and follow Orion 85%, take full lunch, be less than an hour over etc...

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Im impressed! You have learned about the Nature of Big Brown in three weeks what it normally takes new drivers to learn in 3 years... Ups does not give a crap about us. Yes, they will expect you to do 300+ stops/day on tight grid rtes, and follow Orion 85%, take full lunch, be less than an hour over etc...
oops sorry just realized you were a "seasonal driver". You wont be expected to do 300 stops/day. but you'll be expected to do 250+

CHALLY9TX

Our center manager singled out one of our new drivers during the PCM yesterday. On his first day the driver struggled and was 3 hours over. Rather than give up, he worked at it and yesterday he was .70 over, which included having to wait 20 minutes for a bulk pickup to finish processing packages. Take that away and he would have been about 20 minutes over.

For the most part, you are not going to get positive feedback on a daily basis, but would it really be that hard for your sup or center manager to say "good job" every once in a while?

I don't need to hear "good job". Just don't give me crap when you have no reason to.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Just like I said before, these idiots putting guys on so close to peak and not expecting to fail with between 200 n 300 stops a day wtf, really lol. Whats going to happen is the new guys who are drowning are going to have to get saved everyday by the senior drivers. Going to blow up right in their face, watch. I got thrown out in the fire my 1st xmas with just 4 months of driving with 300 or close to that everyday. I thought that was insane and it was, trust me on that 1. As long as you have a good jumper, put your big boy pants on and go get it son, you can worry about sleep and your feelings after peak lol.

ManInBrown

You said you get done at 4:30 with 150 stops. Then two sentences later you say you are busting your ass ALL DAY long to get 150 done. NewsFlash- 4:30 isn't anywhere near all day. Plan on being out till 10:00pm during peak. That's how you do 300. Have fun. Bring a flashlight. And yes, they do and will expect you to do 300 stops.

MassWineGuy

Perhaps on your birthday.

If you're finishing around 4:30 I'd say you're doing ok. Those must include a lot of very close stops. When you get a helper, be nice but make totally clear what you expect from them. If they're slacking off tell your sup it isn't working out and try another. They hire thousands.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont

Orion has been shut off for the holidays. Good luck with 300 stops, im not even taking 300, it would be impossible to fit it on a 700. You will have to run it in sections , not the way its loaded, i find that easier. I do run the 1000 , 2000, sometimes 3000 shelf first just to make shelf organizing room. Always remember whats on the floor and push all the later deliveries to the back.