What is "Job Classification Seniority"??

DazedandConfused

Can anyone tell me what exactly it is?? How is it obtained?? By center seniority?? By working in one of the job classes longer?? Any wording in the book before the Rider and Amendments besides when requesting a transfer??

UPSGUY72

Can anyone tell me what exactly it is?? How is it obtained?? By center seniority?? By working in one of the job classes longer?? Any wording in the book before the Rider and Amendments besides when requesting a transfer??

Classification is the job title you have ie ( package driver, preloader, hub sorter, feederdriver, etc) Senority is gain by time spent in each classification. Your gain center senority after you pass your 30 day probation period. Your senority in other classification usually starts the day you start the other classification.

Your center senority date does or doesn't give you power when bidding on other classifications. Your classification senority give you the ability to bid on better jobs in your classification

DazedandConfused

Ok...Can Job Seniority exist if Center Seniority is made king? Can a PT'er use their Center seniority to change job class and work in front of someone already in that class. If so and enough people jumped into that class, wouldn't that cause the possible displacement of someone with higher job class seniority?

UPSGUY72

Ok...Can Job Seniority exist if Center Seniority is made king? Can a PT'er use their Center seniority to change job class and work in front of someone already in that class. If so and enough people jumped into that class, wouldn't that cause the possible displacement of someone with higher job class seniority?

Center senority gives you bidding power when jobs are put up to bid on. If some worked PT for 10 yrs and finally decided to bid on a FT driver job and recieved it he would be the least senority driver even though he might have more center senority than other drivers. Meaning he would be the first to get laid off if that happen and get the worst routes.

DazedandConfused

That is the way I understand it to be. Our local wants Center seniority to overule eveything. As a PT position goes, wouldn't that make Job Class seniority non-existant? Thus taking away a right given to us? I am assuming it is "a right" if it is mentioned in the book. If I was to be approved for a transfer, it says my job classification is entailed and I retain company seniority only for the purpose of vacation days and holidays(I understand what this means).

UPSGUY72

That is the way I understand it to be. Our local wants Center seniority to overule eveything. As a PT position goes, wouldn't that make Job Class seniority non-existant? Thus taking away a right given to us? I am assuming it is "a right" if it is mentioned in the book. If I was to be approved for a transfer, it says my job classification is entailed and I retain company seniority only for the purpose of vacation days and holidays(I understand what this means).

Basically as a PTimer you only have center senority it would be counter productive to have senority as a unloader, sorter, scanner, loader. Correct on your transfer situation you only retain company senority.

Center senority would never overule classification senority. Center senority only give you more bidding power and better vacation choices.

DazedandConfused

I agree with you for the job classes you mentioned, but what about the pt job classes that require qualification such as being a pt cover or pt air driver?

UPSGUY72

I agree with you for the job classes you mentioned, but what about the pt job classes that require qualification such as being a pt cover or pt air driver?

In are building/ area we do not have PT cover drivers if your a cover driver your a full time driver. We only have Pt air and that senority is based on your center senority.

DazedandConfused

So it is possible that Job classification seniority does not dictate the order of how your PT air driver's are driven. That is what confuses me. It seems to me like the two seniorities contradict each other. Unless of course, the seniority list of each are the same.

UPSGUY72

So it is possible that Job classification seniority does not dictate the order of how your PT air driver's are driven. That is what confuses me. It seems to me like the two seniorities contradict each other. Unless of course, the seniority list of each are the same.

You need to check your rider. But since it is a PT position I would think that center senority would the senority it would go by. Now if it was full time it would go be classification senority

over9five

Staff member
It really bugs me that some of you give up your seniority so easily just because you change classification. Seniority is SO important at UPS.

Bring it up at the next local meeting. Work to fix it so your original seniority date is your ONE seniority date for any classification you choose to work in for the rest of your career.

We should all be able to change classification WITHOUT losing seniority!

Treegrower

Every local is different. In our local as a full time package driver, should I go to feeders my senority would follow me to that classification and my senority would dovetail onto that classifications senority list. Same if I bid on a 22.3 job or front counter clerk job, ect.ect. Senority rights are everything. Go fight them.

Omega man

It really bugs me that some of you give up your seniority so easily just because you change classification. Seniority is SO important at UPS.

Bring it up at the next local meeting. Work to fix it so your original seniority date is your ONE seniority date for any classification you choose to work in for the rest of your career.

We should all be able to change classification WITHOUT losing seniority!

You are absolutely correct. It is absurd for there to be so many different sets of rules for all the different Locals. The International should step in and standardize it all. Local 177 is a total mess with regard to seniority. If you try to move anywhere, you have to start from the bottom in the new classification no matter how many years you have. This negates what the whole definition of what seniority is supposed to mean. That is, you should have more opportunities and options as you accrue time as a member. Unfortunately this Local refuses to address the issue.

The Milkman

You are absolutely correct. It is absurd for there to be so many different sets of rules for all the different Locals. The International should step in and standardize it all. Local 177 is a total mess with regard to seniority. If you try to move anywhere, you have to start from the bottom in the new classification no matter how many years you have. This negates what the whole definition of what seniority is supposed to mean. That is, you should have more opportunities and options as you accrue time as a member. Unfortunately this Local refuses to address the issue.

I retired from local 177. When I transfered to clerk I had a new seniority date in that classification. And once classified a clerk, when another position opened in another bldg I would be offered a chance to take the new opening before the 30 years friend/T driver that is waiting on the transfer list. In some cases I have seen some clerks with not even 10 years company seniority taking inside jobs that no one else wanted and thus became classified clerk thus blocking many with alot more time from moving inside.
I went inside after 18 friend/T and I was always offered a transfer after all other clerks in my bldg were asked although I had more company time than some of them...

DazedandConfused

Up until the past 6-7 months of so, if we changed job classes we were given a "date of qualification" and worked in order of that date in that class. We still retained our Center Seniority that we were told was basically only good for the purpose of bidding into a FT position and for vacation days and holidays. They used to figure if we took an opening that no one else wanted or couldn't be filled because someone's license wasn't clean(for driver openings in PT Cover and PT Air) then we were driven by our 31st day(thus the term date of qualification). I know that Seniority is everything in our company, but should I or others suffer by losing our positions because another's DWI was off his record? I can see both sides, but what is fair??

DazedandConfused

Did I answer you statements well enough? Does it seem like I'm giving up my seniority? They are trying to take what I believe is my Classification Seniority(if I even have it in the first place). Our FT Package and Feeder drivers can go back and forth between the two and have their Seniority dovetailed. Those are the only two classes that allow that. As PT'ers, there is no mention of that practice.

Maybe it's time for a change!