What is the biggest and best lie Management has told you?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The only people at UPS who I've heard compare it to the military are managers who were were never in the military. Aside from the very superficial fact that both have uniforms, they are not the same at all.

Don't apply for a job in HR ... your aptitude seems low. :tiesmiley:

S

splozi

There are many, many similiarities between the military and UPS.

Very true. They both lie right to your face. Both are filled with self-righteous a-holes. Neither care for the well being of others. Orders are handed down from the top with no logical explanation or meaning. I'll stop now.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Very true. They both lie right to your face. Both are filled with self-righteous a-holes. Neither care for the well being of others. Orders are handed down from the top with no logical explanation or meaning. I'll stop now.

There you go ... I see an HR position in your future!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
"Just $6 a week. The UPS Thrift Plan will make you rich!"

I have over a $50k from mine ... rolled it into a self-directed IRA.
I was in it for over 20 years though.
It paid well as it was based on facilities that the UPS Thrift Plan owned and leased to UPS.
I made more on OPL though.

over9five

Staff member
I have over a $50k from mine ... rolled it into a self-directed IRA.
I was in it for over 20 years though.
It paid well as it was based on facilities that the UPS Thrift Plan owned and leased to UPS.
I made more on OPL though.

Lol, I was going to bring up OPL next!

rod

Retired 22 years
I always said that the only difference between UPS and the Military (yes I did both) was that you couldn't just "quit" the Military. At least not when I was in. Now days from what I hear all you have to do is say "I want out" and presto-you are a civilian again. It might not be that simple but I do know two "kids" who joined the Navy and after only a couple of weeks of boot camp decided it wasn't for them and they were back on the street within a month. There was no dishonorable discharge or anything. The Navy treated it like they had never signed up at all.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
EDD aside, the whole "get the packages delivered on the first attempt so we make a profit" speech. They claim that if a package is delivered on the second attempt the company breaks even, and that if we deliver it on the 3rd attempt, they take a loss. This is BS in its purest form. This company isn't in the business of losing money. If UPS really didn't make money on packages with multiple attempts, they'd only have us attempt a package once.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

EDD aside, the whole "get the packages delivered on the first attempt so we make a profit" speech. They claim that if a package is delivered on the second attempt the company breaks even, and that if we deliver it on the 3rd attempt, they take a loss. This is BS in its purest form. This company isn't in the business of losing money. If UPS really didn't make money on packages with multiple attempts, they'd only have us attempt a package once.

This one is true which is why they tell us to DR all Basic packages on the first attempt regardless of location.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
This one is true which is why they tell us to DR all Basic packages on the first attempt regardless of location.

Service level is irrelevant to my point. Basic packages are delivered on the first attempt because that's what the shipper wants done.

What I'm talking about is the bold-faced lie that the company doesn't turn a profit if more than one attempt is made on a non-basic package. If UPS did not make a profit on a package attempted 2+ times, then it would make no fiscal sense to make more than one attempt. This company didn't get to where it's at by giving money away.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Believe what you will but whatever profit may have been built in to that package is all but lost on the 3rd delivery attempt. This is part of the reason for My Choice.

Re-Raise

No Package Driver will intentionally be dispatched over nine and one-half (9 1/2) hours on any given day if Package Drivers are on layoff.

Brownfrown

"There IS life after UPS"

and the newer version............

"Your most important stop of the day is the last one.........your home."

Yeah................ right.
jerkitsmiley1.gif