What is the Diff between a Resi and Comm in the Diad

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I can't say I've ever had a situation where I had a basic or shipper release pkg for a business that was closed. I don't think I would DR it unless it was a stand alone business where I could leave it at the back door. I wouldn't lean it against the front door at a strip mall.

browndude

When you scan a basic shipper release it brings uo the screen and tells you that you can leave at buisnesses

i know what the screen says but it does not tell you to dr that pkg to a business! it says you can release the pkg at any location which means you use the release button that way you can show it as commercial so they dont get charged extra for resi rates.

bugman74

NHDRVR, thanks so much for what you said. It really makes sense, I do feel like they are messing with the numbers to try to get me to speed up to satisfy the "numbers" I have always worked safely and at a good pace, I should invite them to OJS. I have invited them in the past, but as you say, they back down. Maybe because my mall trip has me walking up two ramps, crossing the boardwalk and walking about 9 miles a day! when they did the time study, I had offered to push the guy doing the study on my flatbed. He was getting winded!

Side note, my dad lives in west chesterfield, do you deliver in that area?

Dagoof

i know what the screen says but it does not tell you to dr that pkg to a business! it says you can release the pkg at any location which means you use the release button that way you can show it as commercial so they dont get charged extra for resi rates.

Sorry but the screen says
This is a signature release pkg it can be released without obtaining a sig at ANY delivery address including apts condos and COMMERCIAL addresses.

Press big arrow up to continue

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
okay.... Here's how it works to the best of my recollection....

Resi / Comm in the DIAD no longer goes to billing. I few years back, the bill was determined based on how the driver recorded a package. Shippers were upset because they would sometimes be told an address was Residential and sometimes commercial. They were more upset at our inconsistency than about paying the residential surcharge.

Today what happens is that a big database looks at how the driver records each address. If an address is predominately residential, it is tagged as a Resi. If its predominately commercial, its tagged comm. If an address is not consistently recorded, there is a way to manually update the resi / comm in this big database.

The database is outside of the DIAD. That is what goes to billing. Its worked very well.

Resi / comm also can determine a commit time. Many drivers have learned that if they code an address as commercial, the commit time changes to later. That's not good. At some point, corporate will use that billing database to also determine commit time.

Of course, the final thing is that you can't DR a commercial address in the DIAD. (I think that's still the case)

It does not change allowances.

P-Man
Now I better understand why, every once in awhile, I will get a question from the office-----"Is such and such address a business or resi?". Thanks P-man.

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
...tell them to start typing as there is no way I am going to DR a closed business, especially one that has any amount of foot traffic, just so that they don't show any PSA.
We were told that all the basics pkgs that come back to the bldg. Ups does not get paid for the pkg. Due to the contract thats is in place with the basic service. I do as instructed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We were told that all the basics pkgs that come back to the bldg. Ups does not get paid for the pkg. Due to the contract thats is in place with the basic service. I do as instructed.

I guess that's where we differ as there is no way I am going to DR a pkg at a business after they are closed.

Big Babooba

Ask your supervisor what the procedure is - then follow it. My guess is that you will be less likely to be disciplined for working as directed then for following somebody's advice in a forum.