What is the difference?

blkmamba

Had a delivery at my current job from a UPS freight driver and realized I have no idea what freight actually does (besides deliver)...how are they different from package?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not always. One delivered a 20lb sheet of plastic to my house while my pc driver delivered two Sleep Number beds. Both deliveries dictated by package dimensions rather than what was the more efficient method.
"Efficient methods"? I think they must be in the same place as our turkeys....we don't use those methods here...lol

somebodiesgot

We handle a whole lot of weight classes, most packages are on the larger side or at least a lot of small packages. Most of the time if it is a lighter object it is usually a large box that would waste a lot of space on a package car

Bottom rung

Big dollars in freight. Freight makes way more profit per employee than package. At least that's whats posted on the internet.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Care to elaborate?

Small package used to offer a discount if you sent 200 lbs or more in a single shipment to a single consignee. It was called Hundredweight. I say used to as I think it was phased out soon after we bought Overnite.

It may be cheaper to ship 40 cases of paper LTL than small package. It sure would be a hell of a lot easier---palletize the load, use forklift, on/off.

Resident know-it-all.