What is the formula for PT supervisor pay?

noazrk

Union Steward
I made it through all the hoops and am now in the part-time supervisor pool.

I still don't have any concrete information regarding my pay. I've heard it's "roughly $2000" a month and two sources confirmed it's actually based on our pay as loaders etc. Others say it's around $300 after tax so that doesn't add up.

Does anybody know the formula used for deciding supervisor pay? I believe it's towards 27.50 hours a week. If anyone knows the percentage I could figure it out. For example, I assume I take my current pay of $11.50 an hour + 50% giving supervisor pay of $17.25 x 27.50 hours???

Thanks for any help!

noazrk

Union Steward
I'm sure that's the case for full-time loaders or combo guys, I was just throwing a number out there (50%). I have NO idea what the ratio is, that's what I'm looking for.

drewed

Shankman
it depends a lot of geographical area, center or hub type of operation..you be best to ask people in your building what the ball park is.

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
If you havent had your interview with the hub manager yet... just wait. If yours is anything like mine it will be very intense. Hes a good guy though, he is just very serious about his job as he should be. First off congratulations on passing the test, and performance evaluation. I'm a part time supervisor, and was promoted about a month ago. Just haven't started yet because our hub, possibly the entire region (im not sure) are going through the management freeze, but I have the job I'm told so I can wait. I'm pretty good friends with all the other sups in my area and I can say it will be just under or around 300/week. Thats what I was told. I have never heard of a P/T supervisor starting out at 2 grand a month. More like $1,200. Good luck on the interview though if you haven't had it yet. It will be the most important part of the process. Also your current pay rate as a union worker will play a role on your salary as management. You gain a certain percentage, but I cannot remember what that particular number is.

brownrodster

I made it through all the hoops and am now in the part-time supervisor pool.

I still don't have any concrete information regarding my pay. I've heard it's "roughly $2000" a month and two sources confirmed it's actually based on our pay as loaders etc. Others say it's around $300 after tax so that doesn't add up.

I think you might get extra if you can bend over, grab your ankles and don't cry afterwards.

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
I think you might get extra if you can bend over, grab your ankles and don't cry afterwards.

Noazrk, brownrodster's joke gives insight into what part time supervision will feel like sometimes. Even though I haven't started yet because of the freeze I know enough to say that any physical pain you feel from loading, or other union work will be replaced with mental pain, plus a side of physical pain to go along with it. Supervisors, even though not suppose to, work a lot too. Especially in hubs. Try to keep your calm at all times. If your workers see you panic, they will start to wonder what is going on, and feel confused or fustrated. You have to grow a thick layer of skin so to speak. Also, if you seal the deal on your promotion. Don't forget where you came from. Treat people like people, and not like numbers. They will respect you for it, and things will get accomplished a lot easier.

UPSNewbie

Noazrk, brownrodster's joke gives insight into what part time supervision will feel like sometimes. Even though I haven't started yet because of the freeze I know enough to say that any physical pain you feel from loading, or other union work will be replaced with mental pain, plus a side of physical pain to go along with it. Supervisors, even though not suppose to, work a lot too. Especially in hubs. Try to keep your calm at all times. If your workers see you panic, they will start to wonder what is going on, and feel confused or fustrated. You have to grow a thick layer of skin so to speak. Also, if you seal the deal on your promotion. Don't forget where you came from. Treat people like people, and not like numbers. They will respect you for it, and things will get accomplished a lot easier.

Please, keep encouraging contract violations.

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
I'm not encouraging it, im just saying that it happens. Most preloaders dont even know how to file a grievence. Its just the irreg drivers, wall sweeps and other p/t bid job holders who aren't staffed to the belt that don't realize that sometimes breaking a jam or picking off for a few minutes helps their belt survive. Instead of seeing a supervisor who cares about their belt and team of workers they just see $$$. I won't do any union work when I start though, because I wouldn't want to hand out free money :p

noazrk

Union Steward
Upser21,

Thanks for the input and encouragement I appreciate that. I would think it would pay at least $400 a week gross for somebody with over a year senority. Here loaders/unloaders start at $8.50-$9 an hour and if you get a skill position it's $1 more + free dental/medical/vision for the employee's family after time. With my seniority I'm around $11.50 an hour and although I can't work more than 20 hours (most PT sups work an average of 25) going into the role with no pay increase would put me at $287.50 assuming benefits were free. Tack on an assumed $50/week for benefits and I'm looking at $337.50 still being a lateral move paywise! The exact pay/benefits arent' disclosed until I'm actually selected for the position even though I passed all the tests. Hell, for all I know the benefits might be more expensive than that.

The things I'm worried about are supervisors being more vulnerable to getting fired + losing seniority in the hub and giving up the chance to drive which pays really well here. The upside is the experience itself looks good on a resume + tuition reimbursement for college classes.

I'm not too worried about the stress of the job itself, I know I won't be an expert right away but I get along with all of the supervisors and they all seem to like it. Upper management here doesn't seem too difficult to please as long as you show up on time and are commited to following through with your responsibilities.

Also, I hear PT supervisors can earn bonuses as well although how/when may vary by area.

drewed

Shankman
It kinda makes me cringe that you have a person thats not a sup telling a person thats not a sup about the pay and stress of the job...im just saying

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A few things. I am going to try to be nice here, which is rare. I don't claim to know everything and have never been a supervisor or manager at UPS, but I have done the MAPP and qualified for a p/t supervisor position in 2004. any #'s I give here are based upon what I have seen (literally) from others here in NE and do not necessarily represent YOUR particular geographic region.

(1) no benefits are "free" . Union pays dues monthly, non-union pays monthly deductions for benes. Union (here) pays 49/mo dues, non-union pays anywhere from 80 to 150/mo

(2) typical raises are anywhere from 5% to 15% depending on local interview, panel interview, mapp evaluation, etc etc.

(3) p/t bonuses are skimpy typically unless you perform union work and/or cheat , or shave/manipulate numbers

(4) if you don't perform work as directed by your friend/t sup or coordinator, best look for another job (ups21 said he would not do union work when he starts P/T , if he/she ever does, which means you won't have a job)

(5) grievances are not paid for sups breakign jams.. anyone who believes that plain and simple has no idea what they are talking about

(6) "Upper management here doesn't seem too difficult to please as long as you show up on time and are commited to following through with your responsibilities." complete fallacy, depending upon your workgroup and boss attached. yes, some are easy going, and some are tyrants. it is luck of the draw and there is no tellign where you will be assigned or for how long!! (remember that)

The one fact is that, dependant upon seniority, job security is on the union side more than the management side!

Can't think of anything else to add right now, but my two cents anyway.

UPSNewbie

A few things. I am going to try to be nice here, which is rare. I don't claim to know everything and have never been a supervisor or manager at UPS, but I have done the MAPP and qualified for a p/t supervisor position in 2004. any #'s I give here are based upon what I have seen (literally) from others here in NE and do not necessarily represent YOUR particular geographic region.

(1) no benefits are "free" . Union pays dues monthly, non-union pays monthly deductions for benes. Union (here) pays 49/mo dues, non-union pays anywhere from 80 to 150/mo

(2) typical raises are anywhere from 5% to 15% depending on local interview, panel interview, mapp evaluation, etc etc.

(3) p/t bonuses are skimpy typically unless you perform union work and/or cheat , or shave/manipulate numbers

(4) if you don't perform work as directed by your friend/t sup or coordinator, best look for another job (ups21 said he would not do union work when he starts P/T , if he/she ever does, which means you won't have a job)

(5) grievances are not paid for sups breakign jams.. anyone who believes that plain and simple has no idea what they are talking about

(6) "Upper management here doesn't seem too difficult to please as long as you show up on time and are commited to following through with your responsibilities." complete fallacy, depending upon your workgroup and boss attached. yes, some are easy going, and some are tyrants. it is luck of the draw and there is no tellign where you will be assigned or for how long!! (remember that)

The one fact is that, dependant upon seniority, job security is on the union side more than the management side!

Can't think of anything else to add right now, but my two cents anyway.

One thing. Union dues fluctuate depending on your rate of pay.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
One thing. Union dues fluctuate depending on your rate of pay.

I said "here", and no, union dues do not fluctuate here to my knowledge. P/T have been 49 for years, still are I believe ( since 2001 when I started) and friend/T 66/mo. I was paying 66/mo when I was friend/T and making 14.50 an hour in progression a few years ago and it remained 66/mo now at 23.47 top rate.

drewed

Shankman
Some places go by percentage of your hourly rate so it would flucuate, for years it was the just a flat rate up here, so depending where youre at it could be both