What is the "INIT" fee charged on payroll?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I asked in my center, they said they thought it was union dues. I then showed them, no, there is the "Union Dues" line. They then looked at me & said "They Would Work On That" (guess that came back to bite me)

Any ideas?

upser_J

I asked in my center, they said they thought it was union dues. I then showed them, no, there is the "Union Dues" line. They then looked at me & said "They Would Work On That" (guess that came back to bite me)

Any ideas?
if u could scan the check, black out stuff u don't want people to see, it could help out

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Any ideas?

Obvious response is "Initiation Fees" for Union.
Did you join the Union recently or go from Part-time to Full-time?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Obvious response is "Initiation Fees" for Union.
Did you join the Union recently or go from Part-time to Full-time?

Nope, still in the black-hole, unqualified, part time cover driver netherworld.

INIT FEE, under deductions, is ALWAYS $25, regardless of paycheck.

UNION DUES is always $40, regardless of paycheck

INIT FEE and UNION DUES never both show on the same paycheck.

UNION DUES have been 8% of my gross pay so far this year. INIT FEES have been an additional $175 this year.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Nope, still in the black-hole, unqualified, part time cover driver netherworld.

INIT FEE, under deductions, is ALWAYS $25, regardless of paycheck.

UNION DUES is always $40, regardless of paycheck

INIT FEE and UNION DUES never both show on the same paycheck.

UNION DUES have been 8% of my gross pay so far this year. INIT FEES have been an additional $175 this year.

Holy sheet! Part-timers get ripped off!!!!

evilleace

I would think Initiation Dues but you have been an employee for awhile so my thinking is htey screwed up and are taking the initiation fee out over and over again. Talk to your steward or your BA see what they say.

iowa boy

They say "We get right on that". Since October.

Livin, have you thought about filing a greivance for pay issues? (not sure of the article in the contract.) UPS has the responsibility to make sure your pay is correct. You have pointed this out to your management team and your steward, but maybe a greivance might get the ball rolling to get the problem fixed, especially if you file for back pay. Not sure if this would work or not, but it might get someones attention a little faster.

iowa

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Livin, have you thought about filing a greivance for pay issues? (not sure of the article in the contract.) UPS has the responsibility to make sure your pay is correct. You have pointed this out to your management team and your steward, but maybe a greivance might get the ball rolling to get the problem fixed, especially if you file for back pay. Not sure if this would work or not, but it might get someones attention a little faster.

iowa
Now that's funny!

Like that's going to happen. Union Initiation fee being grieved and the Union will have to return the money.
Still laughing over this one!

Now that's funny!

Like that's going to happen. Union Initiation fee being grieved and the Union will have to return the money.
Still laughing over this one!
That's really not the point of the grievance. The point would be to get someone to actually find out what the fee is for. At this time it's just spec of what it is for. Right?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
If you're bouncing back & forth between part-time inside work at a low wage, and "full-time" cover driver at a higher wage, this is probably the result. Dues should be based on your wage rate, but which one? Maybe your local has a lesser or no initiation fee for part-time, and you've now worked enough "full-time" cover driving to be required to pay a full-time initiation fee. When you call the union office, are you talking to someone specifically in the dues department? Forget the stewards/agents/reps on this, it's not their forte. What's your local? 773? Did you talk to or better yet, email Lisa? Maybe try the meeting sunday.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's really not the point of the grievance. The point would be to get someone to actually find out what the fee is for. At this time it's just spec of what it is for. Right?
spec ? ... I need more information as to what spec stands for before I answer.

PS. Just being a smartazz anyway

spec ? ... I need more information as to what spec stands for before I answer.

PS. Just being a smartazz anyway
speculation
Main Entry:spec·u·la·tion Pronunciation: \ˌspe-kyə-ˈlā-shən\ Function:noun Date:14th century : an act or instance of speculating: as a: assumption of unusual business risk in hopes of obtaining commensurate gain

Catatonic

Nine Lives
speculation
Main Entry:spec·u·la·tion Pronunciation: \ˌspe-kyə-ˈlā-shən\ Function:noun Date:14th century : an act or instance of speculating: as a: assumption of unusual business risk in hopes of obtaining commensurate gain

INIT is to SPEC
as
GOOBER is to ???? :funny:

jk ... having fun.