What is the "ONE" method you will not do ?

over9five

Staff member
Thanks, Upstate. Thats how it was when I left Package. Brownrodster made me think we changed to scanning 'em all, but maybe he picks up 100 prepaids.

barnyard

KTM rider
and you only get credit for pieces picked up no stop credit.

2 different center managers told me that RS packages scanned into the ppd screen do not add anything to your day. The only way to get pickup credit for an RS/ARS is to scan it with a regular pick up stop.

Since, scanning an RS/ARS package at a stop where I did not really pick it up would be falsifying records, I rarely scan them.

I also had an instance where I picked up and scanned an ARS package that should not have been picked up and could not be tracked until it had been scanned in our bldg. That convinced me that my scans were a complete waste of time.

TB

barnyard

KTM rider
I also do not honk the horn at every resi. There are a couple of farms where I do, but that is if I think they might be looking for the parts I am delivering. If I am setting a package inside a door, I knock quietly and say UPS very quietly. I don't want to wake anyone and I don't really want to visit either.

If you need your grab rail lowered to make it easier to grab, right it up. I just got a new 12 cube and it did not have a grab rail on the inside. I started grabbing the door frame as I got out and realized that come summer, that would be a great way to cut my hand. Mechanic put a grab rail on Friday. If your mechanic does not want to do it, mention it to a safety committee person.

TB

ncamara

If you need your grab rail lowered to make it easier to grab, right it up. I just got a new 12 cube and it did not have a grab rail on the inside. I started grabbing the door frame as I got out and realized that come summer, that would be a great way to cut my hand. Mechanic put a grab rail on Friday. If your mechanic does not want to do it, mention it to a safety committee person.

TB

Depends where you're at. At my building, they won't add any other hand rails to the vehicles because it "might" affect the structural integrity of the vehicle. We went through this back and forth with the district head safety honcho. Even though some of our vehicles already had some extras installed.

Depends where you're at. At my building, they won't add any other hand rails to the vehicles because it "might" affect the structural integrity of the vehicle. We went through this back and forth with the district head safety honcho. Even though some of our vehicles already had some extras installed.

Sounds like your district head safety honcho needs to find a job he/she can do...I've worked in 2 dictricts that do it.

Hangingon

Yeah, ours is the same. They all agree it makes sense but refuse to do it since they feel corporate will come down on them about it.

local804

After 21 years at UPS, I've have learned that it is certainly better to follow every method, rule, or "HABIT" layed out for us to abide by because in the long run doing something wrong consistantly will always come back to bite you. Having said that, I will not Beep my horn when i pull up to each delivery stop. I feel that is an invasion of privacy to the customer and is quite frankly rude. Anyone else have a method they feel is unwarranted ?

In NYC it is against the law to blow your horn unless there is an emergency. There are plenty of signs that state the law code and I am sure it is enforced. If every worker blows his/her horn when making a delivery, picking up a passenger for a cab and / or whatever, the horns would be blowing 24-7. Sometimes the methods arent the smartest thing out there.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In NYC it is against the law to blow your horn unless there is an emergency. There are plenty of signs that state the law code and I am sure it is enforced. If every worker blows his/her horn when making a delivery, picking up a passenger for a cab and / or whatever, the horns would be blowing 24-7. Sometimes the methods arent the smartest thing out there.

True, they are there to cover ups in every imaginable way in case of a lawsuit...then their employees can be blamed for not following procedure..its NEVER ups' fault!

TB
I would do that if I thought there was a chance in hell that I might be in the same package car the next day. In ten working days, I would be lucky to only drive eight different trucks.
Yeah, ours is the same. They all agree it makes sense but refuse to do it since they feel corporate will come down on them about it.
And corporate would, but only because of the money spent to get it done.

55andout?

Production ride? Thought you can't be rode with for production only saftely!
So what do you do with a guy who has been increasingly over allowed? Just let him do it over and over again and let the over allowed hours go higher and higher? Why would you not want to ride with a driver who is a performance issue? Chances are he is not being safe either.

My over allowed has increased several times in the last few years, all because UP$ keeps making the "allowances" tighter and tighter. Why should I be ridden with because some numbers geek that never delivered a package in their life decides I should be doing more? Allowances, over/under and SPORH (none of which are even mentioned in the contract)are all buzz phrases developed to intimidate drivers to push harder and harder.

If I'm not mistaken, you can still be supervised for delivery methods. I don't have a problem with that if it purpose is refresh my delivery methods. IT might just help me get home a few minutes earlier.

brownrodster

You only have to scan the packages with the little parcel symbol in the corner of the tracking label. We havea driver that scans every air package that he picks up even though he scans the end of day. He doen't realize that all the information for those 43 air he just scanned is in that end of day scan as well. I've tried to tell him many times but he just won't believe me.

Yeah but what if you hae a customer with over 100 ove those packages (with the little parcel symbol) and you don't have the time to scan them!!! Is it ok to not scan them?

brownrodster

Thanks, Upstate. Thats how it was when I left Package. Brownrodster made me think we changed to scanning 'em all, but maybe he picks up 100 prepaids.

Yes, that's what I do. I get there and there is no end of day it's all prepaid. Is it ok to not scan them? Or is that bad?

over9five

Staff member
I would scan every one of them. It wouldn't bother me that it made me late for the next p/u. I think it's more important to get the scan!

brownrodster

I would scan every one of them. It wouldn't bother me that it made me late for the next p/u. I think it's more important to get the scan!

Even if it makes it difficult and or impossible to get to a few pickups before their 5 PM closing time? And I cannot start pickups earlier as I already start early and am getting complaints! They keep adding pickup stops to my route and wonder why I won't turn in leads.

Griff

Even if it makes it difficult and or impossible to get to a few pickups before their 5 PM closing time? And I cannot start pickups earlier as I already start early and am getting complaints! They keep adding pickup stops to my route and wonder why I won't turn in leads.

That's not your problem if they close. Let management earn their money and fix the problem instead of playing fantasy football all day. Right now you're fixing the problem and it's only going to get worse that way.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Then go make your other p/u's and scan the others when you have a minute. Just make sure they get scanned in.

I personally would scan them right when I pick them up. I get paid by the hour and honestly.....how long does it really take to scan 100 packages??? This isn't DIAD 2 afterall.

tritese

tritese
As a shifter they want us to take out our keys every time we leave the seat. This includes when we go to hook up our air hoses and liqht cord. Funny thing is if we do this at night we wont have any light to see ourselves or whateve we are doing..... I've refussed this stupid rule and ever other employee at my center :happy-very: they havent brought it up since we pointed that out.
The mechanics don't like the Pull Key Method either....rough on starters, ignition, etc.......we are suppose to pull our key every time our feet hit the pavement (are we scared bin laden will jump in our birds? what in the world?!)....also, we have a drain right by the unload docks where we check trailers we are pulling off the unload......i would hate for several people a day to drop keys while waiting on unload to finish......hehe.........stupid rule.......but, i don't expect anything less from ups management.....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I will not Beep my horn when i pull up to each delivery stop. I feel that is an invasion of privacy to the customer and is quite frankly rude. Anyone else have a method they feel is unwarranted ?
Not only is it rude, but at least here in Oregon it is also illegal.
One method that I frequently do not follow is the "dont sheet pkgs in the car" rule. The methods say to load the pkgs onto a carry aid, take them inside, line 'em up and scan them. I have bulk stops where there is no room to do this. Intead I scan the packages as I put them on the handcart, slide the cart down the back bumper, wheel it in, and slide the cart out from under the stack of packages. This saves room and minimizes package handling.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not only is it rude, but at least here in Oregon it is also illegal.
One method that I frequently do not follow is the "dont sheet pkgs in the car" rule. The methods say to load the pkgs onto a carry aid, take them inside, line 'em up and scan them. I have bulk stops where there is no room to do this. Intead I scan the packages as I put them on the handcart, slide the cart down the back bumper, wheel it in, and slide the cart out from under the stack of packages. This saves room and minimizes package handling.
And also minimizes missed scans, in my opinion. The pkg goes in my hand it gets scanned.