What is the process of becoming a steward?

10 point

Why does he care about someone else's supposed infractions?
If the company disciplines someone else less (or more) severely for like infractions I could see how it would affect the whole driver group but just sticking your nose in someone else's issue to reiterate the severity of discipline needed to correct an alleged infraction without having a dog in the fight shows a real control issue.

If you want to manage go into management.
Otherwise keep your opinion to yourself.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If the company disciplines someone else less (or more) severely for like infractions I could see how it would affect the whole driver group but just sticking your nose in someone else's issue to reiterate the severity of discipline needed to correct an alleged infraction without having a dog in the fight shows a real control issue.

He can't "hiring freeze"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In your opinion ?

That seems like a lot of "perceived" detail.

Not enough detail.

Maybe your "opinions", aren't welcome.

You're just another driver.... not a representative of UPS, or the Union.

You dig holes, and then hand out shovels. Maybe with the best of intentions.

-Bug-

The driver in question has less than a year of experience. I have 28.

He was told that he had an EAM and that he needed to leave by 0930. He did not leave until almost 1000. It is an hour ride to the area and the commit time on the EAM was 1100. He also had to stop to get fuel and sit at a traffic light for a bridge that is being worked on. Had he left at 0930 and refueled the night before he would have easily made service on the EAM. This is an area that he covers quite often and he knows full well that EAMs are a real possibility which means he should have refueled the night before.

I guess I just care too much.

The next morning he gave the same supervisor attitude when he was instructed to deliver a NDA in trace.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The driver in question is fairly new but does a good job (most of the time). I wanted to make sure that he knew that he had screwed up and that he needed to use this as a learning experience.

10 point

The driver in question is fairly new but does a good job (most of the time). I wanted to make sure that he knew that he had screwed up and that he needed to use this as a learning experience.
I'm sure he will get that figured out when Progressive discipline starts. Some people you can't help. Only pain rehabilitates them and the company will definitely take care of their problems with service failures.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sure he will get that figured out when Progressive discipline starts. Some people you can't help. Only pain rehabilitates them and the company will definitely take care of their problems with service failures.

The supervisor in question told him that he would be disciplined if the EAM was late. It was and he was given the warning letter.

10 point

There's a fine line in dealing with other employees issues in a negative way when you're not the steward and genuine concern for a new employee or a seasoned employee that is taking things for granted.

If your slate is clean you can cast the first stone but it's pretty risky correcting other employees if your work performance is lacking in the realm of performing the methods yourself.

10 point

If you can help an employee with words of wisdom in a mentoring fashion I'm all for that. But after the first time of making it clear and they decide to do other things contrary to the wisdom that was shared sometimes it's better to let them hang.

You can't always fix stupid.