What is the UPS end game with the current health care proposal?

beentheredonethat

Enough with the smart aleck answers. Read my response again and slower.
I did say it - the teamsters didn't care - they used us as pawns and left the part-time issue in the forefront as a smokescreen. The Teamster agenda was the pension fight. The rank and file are the people who cared about the part-time issues. UPS missed an opportunity to bust the union by not agreeing to the part time demands and only leaving the pension as the point of contention.
OK so we agree. The teamsters didn't care about the 22.3, they used it for PR. The teamsters at the time scared the UPSers with how the company was taking their pensions away from them. They wanted to control all that money. They used you as pawns (per your own words). Now the question is.. in the next few months. Don't you think they will use you as pawns again? I do.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
It's a scary thought but that is definitely a real concern. Ultimately like was said earlier I know the unions main objective is gaining members and collecting dues.

Inthegame

In accordance with your post, I agree that we are paid the highest in the industry. At what cost? Unlike most of the teamster officials and operations managements I will tell you that I am grossly underpaid.
In accordance with reality, you're grossly underqualified for either an operations manager or a teamster official.

packageguy

Enough with the smart aleck answers. Read my response again and slower.
I did say it - the teamsters didn't care - they used us as pawns and left the part-time issue in the forefront as a smokescreen. The Teamster agenda was the pension fight. The rank and file are the people who cared about the part-time issues. UPS missed an opportunity to bust the union by not agreeing to the part time demands and only leaving the pension as the point of contention.

First, union really don't care about part timers,
there pension is with the company, at least in our local,

second, from what I hear lots of 22.3 drivers are doing ground,
because drivers would like to take the day off. So UPS is not putting
on new drivers, it's a lot easier for them to do that then hire a full time driver.

Why are drivers going home, and when will it stop. This past Monday
15 drivers went home... In my center.......

co-chair

i COULD NOT AGREE MORE LETS JUST DROP THIS COMPANY NOW FOR 1 friend------- DAY WATCH HOW QUICK THEY SMARTEN UP THEY WILL BE PARALIZED TRUST ME THE TIME HAS COME . THIS CEO IS TRYING TO RUN THIS COMPAPANY LIKE THIS IS G.M. GET A LIFE PEOPLE WE ARE NOT GOING OUT OF BUISNESS PERIOD

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
i COULD NOT AGREE MORE LETS JUST DROP THIS COMPANY NOW FOR 1 friend------- DAY WATCH HOW QUICK THEY SMARTEN UP THEY WILL BE PARALIZED TRUST ME THE TIME HAS COME . THIS CEO IS TRYING TO RUN THIS COMPAPANY LIKE THIS IS G.M. GET A LIFE PEOPLE WE ARE NOT GOING OUT OF BUISNESS PERIOD

That's what REA thought. When I was in high school, they were a big deal. By the time I was a driver, they were in effect, dead. Ever see that picture of the rusted out REA truck? Used to hang a lot of them around the district offices...

Get this through your head: NO COMPANY is too big to fail. If it is well run, and financially sound, it may take a while. But if it is not cost competitive, eventually, it will run out of customers. UPS is well run, and financially sound. But FedEx has a huge cost advantage, and UPS needs to meet that competitive issue. The IE guys have squeezed about all the efficiency they can out of the operating plan. There's not much blood left in that turnip. Certainly not enough to overcome FedEx's contractor model.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I agree completely with you that nobody should be forced to join the union. But those who don't shouldn't receive what's covered by the CBA.

So while those who joined the Teamsters earn $32/hour, no-cost health & welfare benefits, those who don't join the union can earn what most FedEx Ground drivers do: $650/week, no health & welfare benefits, purchase the uniform.

AND....meanwhile, the plutocrats continue their assault on the working class to organize:

Daily Kos: Georgia ALEC/Chamber Puppets Try to Wipe Out Labor (AGAIN)

To repeat myself: this is NOT 1997. The public will NOT be on the side of the Teamsters this time around!

DS

Fenderbender
Forgive me if I sound naive,I'm just a driver.
The people orchestrating some of the decisions to cut back on costs in operations are making a big mistake.Our CEO has one thing on his mind and it seems to have nothing to do with preserving our
reputation as the best shipping company in the world.I've often thought that these dudes that have
all this money,would be better off being "undercover boss" and get their noses dirty instead of hiring someone to increase production through intimidation.
The decreased customer satisfaction will bite them,they seem to feel omnipotent.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"

To repeat myself: this is NOT 1997. The public will NOT be on the side of the Teamsters this time around!

We are not a public sector union ,we do not draw our pay from the tax payers. We get paid by a company that is very profitable who's stock traded today @ $82.50 a share and increased their quaterly dividend to .62 per share up from .525 per. Everybody loves and waits for their UPS guy every day, they say hello to him, they save him bagels and coffee in the morning , companies share their Christmas lunch with him, household internet shoppers wait for his arrival at peak season, he delivers flowers .com,Vermont teddy bears,and their (medicine) prescriptions. In the court of public opinion I think the people will side with the workers if given a little pr nudge by the IBT.

brown_trousers

We are not a public sector union ,we do not draw our pay from the tax payers. We get paid by a company that is very profitable who's stock traded today @ $82.50 a share and increased their quaterly dividend to .62 per share up from .525 per. Everybody loves and waits for their UPS guy every day, they say hello to him, they save him bagels and coffee in the morning , companies share their Christmas lunch with him, household internet shoppers wait for his arrival at peak season, he delivers flowers .com,Vermont teddy bears,and their (medicine) prescriptions. In the court of public opinion I think the people will side with the workers if given a little pr nudge by the IBT.

Public support or not, a strike would do A LOT of damage to UPS's profits. That alone is our bargaining chip. With FedEx ready to poach at the sign of a strike, UPS will be losing profit and market share.... public support isnt going to change that aspect of it.

ocnewguy

It was a different country 16 years ago. The economy was booming, unemployment was low, we weren't a divided country like we are now. Unions are more despised every day in this country, unfortunately, because we get lumped in with public employee unions. The general public doesn't understand the difference. Therefore we are all spoiled brats. People see college grads working 3 minimum wage jobs to get by (if they can find one), while the guys in brown all get rich tossing packages out of a truck. Oh, and they have free benefits and can't get fired. You get the idea. We WOULD NOT have public support in a strike like '97.

kingOFchester

If this gets close to an actual strike the Union will, or should have talking points.

Part time wage and hours,

The time a driver had to put in in order to make it to top rate. I do not know the numbers but lets say it takes 4 years on avearge to get a full time job. Add to that 3 years of progression. 7 years invested to get to our top rate.

How much UPS has made even during a time that other companies were going belly up.

I am sure there are more, but the Union will need to have simple to communicate and easy to understand talking points.

To have a shot at getting the support of the general public, Teamsters will need to be the first to take it to the presses. Once the media machine gets rolling in one direction, it will be very hard to change the direction.

anonymous4

Public support or not, a strike would do A LOT of damage to UPS's profits. That alone is our bargaining chip. With FedEx ready to poach at the sign of a strike, UPS will be losing profit and market share.... public support isnt going to change that aspect of it.

Yup, exactly why UPS needs to give us what we want this time around.

kingOFchester

This also may sound stupid or at the very least not practical, but really what needs to happen is a contract that is settled now. Get UPS and the teamsters stand together in the public to fight the FEDex contract model that is not only killing UPS and the teamsters, but also the American tax payers. Fedex is able to save on taxes and also pay horrible wages for the drivers that drive for the contractors. Now is the time for UPS and teamsters to lobby the government together in the public eye.

Pipe dream I know, and will not happen, but power in numbers and what a great way to fight fedex. The union and its employer standing together to fight what is right for us, them and the American public. Americans need to know that we are all loosing out on tax income for the US by Fred's contractor model. A simple change could put an end to his tax shelter.

As we fight each other, Fred will continue to grow. We need to focus on Fedex. The contract negotiations is the distraction that will allow Fedex to grow and grow and grow and grow.......in the end we all may end up with nothing.

Bad Gas!

This also may sound stupid or at the very least not practical, but really what needs to happen is a contract that is settled now. Get UPS and the teamsters stand together in the public to fight the FEDex contract model that is not only killing UPS and the teamsters, but also the American tax payers. Fedex is able to save on taxes and also pay horrible wages for the drivers that drive for the contractors. Now is the time for UPS and teamsters to lobby the government together in the public eye.

Pipe dream I know, and will not happen, but power in numbers and what a great way to fight fedex. The union and its employer standing together to fight what is right for us, them and the American public. Americans need to know that we are all loosing out on tax income for the US by Fred's contractor model. A simple change could put an end to his tax shelter.

As we fight each other, Fred will continue to grow. We need to focus on Fedex. The contract negotiations is the distraction that will allow Fedex to grow and grow and grow and grow.......in the end we all may end up with nothing.

I agree and manny people will agree we need to settle this contract so we don't loose pkgs to Fedx like we are bleeding out....That said, we can't just accept UPS's lousy offer after offer..UPS needs to step up to the plate with a firm strong fair offer..It doesn't have to be a perfect offer but it needs to be in the same ballpark..UPS needs to do the right thing!

kingOFchester

I agree and manny people will agree we need to settle this contract so we don't loose pkgs to Fedx like we are bleeding out....That said, we can't just accept UPS's lousy offer after offer..UPS needs to step up to the plate with a firm strong fair offer..It doesn't have to be a perfect offer but it needs to be in the same ballpark..UPS needs to do the right thing!

Agree 100000%. This will not be a popular idea, but I say take the current contract and extend it for 5 more years IF and I emphasize IF UPS and the Teamsters spend the next 5 years fighting fedex together and not each other. Take it to the public. Show the public how much UPS and its employees pay in Taxes. Communicate how much Fedex saves and explain that if things don't change that UPS could go under and Fedex will be the one running the shipping industry and what that would mean to the tax payer. If we go under and Fedex is number 1, how much taxes will be lost. In the end the government will need to replace the loss taxes. Who will pay? The tax payer.

How powerful would it be if UPS and the Union stood together in the public eye. Teamster saying we have agreed not to add to the contract and try to suck more for the company. That the union wants UPS to be profitable in the future but with the tax shelter in place, fedex could cause our TAX paying employer to fold. Giving the tax numbers that union employees are paying every year and the taxes that aren't being paid on the Fedex field. Standing by their side you have UPS saying how hard the union employes are working in order to stay competitive while speaking about the tax dollars they pay. Standing together will get the public support. Make it a media campaign, commercials that feel more like a public service announcement. Get the public on our side.

How powerful will it be when UPS is shrinking, and you have teamsters demanding more on the picket line. Now is the time to fight Fedex.

Last edited:

brown_trousers

Agree 100000%. This will not be a popular idea, but I say take the current contract and extend it for 5 more years IF and I emphasize IF UPS and the Teamsters spend the next 5 years fighting fedex together and not each other. Take it to the public. Show the public how much UPS and its employees pay in Taxes. Communicate how much Fedex saves and explain that if things don't change that UPS could go under and Fedex will be the one running the shipping industry and what that would mean to the tax payer. If we go under and Fedex is number 1, how much taxes will be lost. In the end the government will need to replace the loss taxes. Who will pay? The tax payer.

How powerful would it be if UPS and the Union stood together in the public eye. Teamster saying we have agreed not to add to the contract and try to suck more for the company. That the union wants UPS to be profitable in the future but with the tax shelter in place, fedex could cause our TAX paying employer to fold. Giving the tax numbers that union employees are paying every year and the taxes that aren't being paid on the Fedex field. Standing by their side you have UPS saying how hard the union employes are working in order to stay competitive while speaking about the tax dollars they pay. Standing together will get the public support. Make it a media campaign, commercials that feel more like a public service announcement. Get the public on our side.

How powerful will it be when UPS is shrinking, and you have teamsters demanding more on the picket line. Now is the time to fight Fedex.

The last contract, the one we are currently under, was the WEAKEST contract in the history of teamsters at UPS. It showed the least amount of improvements while letting inflation rise faster than our wages. It purposely took a vague approach on important issues like 9.5 language, so that UPS could "interpret" the language however they wanted.

If anything.. we need to be taking a bigger step forward with this new contract, to offset the lack of improvements from our last one!

kingOFchester

The last contract, the one we are currently under, was the WEAKEST contract in the history of teamsters at UPS. It showed the least amount of improvements while letting inflation rise faster than our wages. It purposely took a vague approach on important issues like 9.5 language, so that UPS could "interpret" the language however they wanted.

If anything.. we need to be taking a bigger step forward with this new contract, to offset the lack of improvements from our last one!

Understood. Still think its time UPS and teamsters take on the tax shelter that Fedex is using. They can beat us in price. As their network gets bigger, their cost will go even lower. As we loose market share, our cost will go up and or profit go down. lets stop fred, then the world will be ours. Short term loss for long term gain. Fundamentally, I feel this is what is wrong with most people. Gratification now, consequences later. Unfortunatelyy, the consequences come home. I am not saying we should give anything. Not saying we could ever work together with UPS to fight Fred. Just stating that if we excepted that current contract going forward and took on Fred, it could result in a better payday, or at the least a secure future. I do not think UPS and the teamsters could ever work together. UPS will always be out for theirs, as the Teamsters will always be out for their's too.

UPS and the Teamsters have the same goal. We also have the same enemy that could take the purse. We fight each other as Fred gets closer and closer. JMHO