What is the workers comp process like at fedex?

One of the newer guys on our line didn't show up today and ended up filing a workers comp case against our contractor. While our contractor was not very excited to hear that news a lot of the guys knew why he did it since he was complaining about not getting a hand truck for the past couple of weeks, other drivers were walking up to the truck and taking his or it was being misplaced by someone. He was saying how he was struggling with some of the larger packages that would typically always be used with a hand truck but our contractor would not purchase another for whatever reason.

This kind of behavior towards the drivers isn't a first but apparently this guy threw out his back and shoulder hard when flipping a monster up four flights of stairs and he was unable to continue the route. I'm curious to what the process will be like for him since I've come to understand what kind of a company fedex is and the random quality of the contractors that you get due to the simple nature of the contracted work structure.

Is this guy going to get his workers comp? Will he need to hire a lawyer? How much of his income will he receive every week? How long will he be able to continue receiving workers comp? Is it true that fedex almost always settles out of court for non disclosed amounts combined with a non disclosure agreement?

Some of the other guys are fired up due to the questionable working conditions and agree with this guys choice. Personally I don't blame him, he was a really genuine guy and it was depressing to see what the combined working conditions of fedex and our contractor did to him day to day. This took place in southern california which I know has some effect on workers comp laws.

Star B

White Lightening
well, workers comp is pretty much... workers comp. happy fun time dealing with an insurance company that doesn't want to pay.

It will be fine

Sounds like fraud to me. His experience will vary depending on what insurance company the contractor has. Fedex doesn't pay work comp. Fedex will have nothing to do with this, you still seem confused on what company you work for. It's not Fedex. I'd have my insurance company fight this, sounds like a bogus claim and the worker was working against my policy. My guys are trained to never fight heavy weight packages up stairs even with a hand truck.

McFeely

Huge Member
I had a 148lb. piece of furniture that stayed on my truck for 3 consecutive days because nobody would help me unload it. The husband said to me on the first day, "Naw, it might hurt my shoulder".

His wife ended up helping me on the 3rd attempt. I'm not going to throw my back out or otherwise injure myself for someone's heavyweight box. Not worth it.

dezguy

I had a 148lb. piece of furniture that stayed on my truck for 3 consecutive days because nobody would help me unload it. The husband said to me on the first day, "Naw, it might hurt my shoulder".

His wife ended up helping me on the 3rd attempt. I'm not going to throw my back out or otherwise injure myself for someone's heavyweight box. Not worth it.
Had a similar experience. 130lbs box, customer didn't want to help, neighbouring routes were too busy to break off. After the third attempt, the customer was notified they could pick up the package at the station. I lost it on my manger that morning because I was sick of working around this giant box all day, knowing it wouldn't be moving off my truck.

bacha29

All of these responses are very good. The individuals chance of success is only as strong as the claim he can make. Given the impact the claim might have on the contractor's premiums that contractor may try to terminate the guy. As for hand carts, when I sold I left the buyer with a very good heavy duty hand cart in every truck made sure of that.As you might expect the drivers lost all of them in less than a month. The last time I looked the new owner had not replaced them leaving the drivers to do it the hard way.

12yearsaslave

All of these responses are very good. The individuals chance of success is only as strong as the claim he can make. Given the impact the claim might have on the contractor's premiums that contractor may try to terminate the guy. As for hand carts, when I sold I left the buyer with a very good heavy duty hand cart in every truck made sure of that.As you might expect the drivers lost all of them in less than a month. The last time I looked the new owner had not replaced them leaving the drivers to do it the hard way.
Once the claim is filed it does not matter if you term the guy. Whatever the insurance pays goes against your mod. But you can get wrongful termination claim on top of that.

MAKAVELI

Sounds like fraud to me. His experience will vary depending on what insurance company the contractor has. Fedex doesn't pay work comp. Fedex will have nothing to do with this, you still seem confused on what company you work for. It's not Fedex. I'd have my insurance company fight this, sounds like a bogus claim and the worker was working against my policy. My guys are trained to never fight heavy weight packages up stairs even with a hand truck.
It really doesn't matter if you fight it. As long as he can " prove " it happened at work, he will be paid regardless if he wasn't following policy.

rod

Retired 22 years
Work com is work comp is work comp. They fight you---you fight them. Above all else keep accurate records of EVERYTHING in duplicate. Eventually you will be paid.

bbsam

Staff member
On work comp claims I like to bring guys in to drive if they can to gain route knowledge on routes they don't know. Most are happy to because comp pay sucks.

It will be fine

Work com is work comp is work comp. They fight you---you fight them. Above all else keep accurate records of EVERYTHING in duplicate. Eventually you will be paid.
Not necessarily, I've got a guy that just came back from comp. we didn't fight it at all. He called as soon as he got hurt. I took him to the doctor myself. He came in for light duty once he was able and did all his therapy. If it's a legit claim it doesn't need to be a fight. This claim sounds like fraud to me with the employee attempting to purposely injure himself if it's even a real injury. I'd tell the insurance company to fight it up to litigation for fraud.

rod

Retired 22 years
Not necessarily, I've got a guy that just came back from comp. we didn't fight it at all. He called as soon as he got hurt. I took him to the doctor myself. He came in for light duty once he was able and did all his therapy. If it's a legit claim it doesn't need to be a fight. This claim sounds like fraud to me with the employee attempting to purposely injure himself if it's even a real injury. I'd tell the insurance company to fight it up to litigation for fraud.

Nice to hear things are peachy keen in the BOG. All I know is EVER comp claim I ever hear of in my 30 years came with an uphill battle.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
In hindsight, that guy should have went to harbor freight, buy a Hendrick save the receipt for the contractor to get reimbursed

Cheaper to pay for that than going thru that mess

!Retired!

The driver did so much complaining before 'injuring' himself, who wants to bet he won't be paid? It's almost like he's 'getting even'. Even though I believe his complaining was justified.

FedGT

I am curious as to why the OP and his coworkers are quite so interested on how long, how much, what's the process, settlements, etc.

You want to know the really easy way to handle the situation. Go up to the contractor face to face (not this sissy texting garbage everyone does anymore) tell him "hey man, this oversized is getting ridiculous I need to get a decent quality hand truck tomorrow or I am going to have to walk, my back and knees aren't worth it". If he doesn't get one he is either to damn cheap and a garbage employer or doesn't think you are worth $300 to him so find someone else to work for.

Now if you are wanting to screw over an employer on work comp just because you think you are entitled to better things or the job is too hard......I can tell you what kind of person you are but there is going to be a lot of censoring.

TheJerk

Porch Pirate
I am curious as to why the OP and his coworkers are quite so interested on how long, how much, what's the process, settlements, etc.

You want to know the really easy way to handle the situation. Go up to the contractor face to face (not this sissy texting garbage everyone does anymore) tell him "hey man, this oversized is getting ridiculous I need to get a decent quality hand truck tomorrow or I am going to have to walk, my back and knees aren't worth it". If he doesn't get one he is either to damn cheap and a garbage employer or doesn't think you are worth $300 to him so find someone else to work for.

Now if you are wanting to screw over an employer on work comp just because you think you are entitled to better things or the job is too hard......I can tell you what kind of person you are but there is going to be a lot of censoring.

Employers are always :censored2:tier than the employees....

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
U can't make a blanket statement like that, unless u are talking about ground in general.

If that garbage employee can't provide the right tools for the job, goto a better one.
But, if theOPs whole terminal is like that, then time to look elsewhere.

The driver isn't a P*, he's protecting his health. I won't go without my Handtruck with the amount of irregs I'm loading everyday, and I'm in HD...