What is your opinion on the termination of 250 drivers in Local 804?

What is your opinion on the termination of 250 drivers in Local 804?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Recently 250 drivers in Local 804, under the direction of their Business Agent, staged a work protest in support of a co-worker who was terminated for dishonesty. UPS promptly placed all 250 drivers on a working termination which they upgraded to permanent terminations on Friday. The union claims the walkout was supported by language in their contract supplement while the company maintains their position that the walkout was illegal.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What kills me is the bulk of people who spout off with an opinion without having any first hand knowledge of what is really going on in this building or local.
Everything is not the same company wide, nor are we all governed by the same contractual language.
What I do believe is that if the company did have an air tight case, they wouldn't be waffling around with their decision.
This is a company that routinely throws poop against the wall to see if it sticks.
This is also a company that rushes to the scene of an accident to cover up the company logo, as they hate negative publicity.
Maybe 60 Minutes need to take a look at this story?

Island

What kills me is the bulk of people who spout off with an opinion without having any first hand knowledge of what is really going on in this building or local.
Everything is not the same company wide, nor are we all governed by the same contractual language.
What I do believe is that if the company did have an air tight case, they wouldn't be waffling around with their decision.
This is a company that routinely throws poop against the wall to see if it sticks.
This is also a company that rushes to the scene of an accident to cover up the company logo, as they hate negative publicity.
Maybe 60 Minutes need to take a look at this story?
60 Minutes is a joke. They are corporate pawns.
I researched their contract a bit. Like most contracts there is contradictory language about the situation, that's a result of our union having no idea what legalese is or how to properly coordinate language about the same event that can be mentioned in different ways across 5 different articles.
It could go either way, really, but the weight of the language is against them. The BA made the right decision at the wrong time, the local should have given notice of intent to strike on that day rather than the drivers walking out, then struck the following week. It's all because the BA was caught up in the moment. Their grievances are backlogged at national, they have a strong case of constant harassment and wrongful termination, the intent to strike would have been completely by the book. Now, they did have nationals that same weekend and if they had issued intent then the company would have attempted to resolve the backlogged grievances at the national in Florida which would have meant the strike couldn't happen, but that would have been a major step in the right direction. That driver who was fired that day still wouldn't have his job back (yet - he would, because he was fired with no rep), and the harassment probably wouldn't have stopped, but if the company had to surrender that many cases at one time to prevent a legitimate strike then their hub's management would have been issued some commands on high to iron their pants and press their shirts, because things are going by the book until the union heat died down.
This is all my opinion, supported by facts out of their supplement. If you disagree, let's not get emotional about it like people tend to do on the other related threads.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
60 Minutes is a joke. They are corporate pawns.
Ok, how about Frontline?
My point wasn't to endorse any particular media outlet, rather to support the notion that UPS would hate the negative press.
There have been others that have asserted that publicity is hurting these drivers chances at vindication.
I see it the other way around.

Island

UPS doesn't care about the media. Our operations here during peak in NTX made international headlines, were all over cable news, and members of management were about ready to stage a cagematch in the middle of the hub with steel tables and chairs, but our operation didn't change as a result of the press. It's going to change in the future because the company finally decided we really can't process the amount of volume that is coming in.
UPS ain't got no damns to give to the press.

bbsam

Staff member
If these drivers are too have any chance whatsoever, I think the union has to come forward strongly united and give the company the specified warning time and call for an immediate repeal of the working/terminated status of the drivers or the entire local strikes. Maybe a union lawyer can find some gray area and claim the original work stoppage was a misunderstanding.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A misunderstanding? The BA who called for the illegal walkout told the drivers that their jobs could be in jeopardy if they persisted.

They might not uphold the terminations on all 250 but they sure as hell will use this as their chance to get rid of some of the "problem children".

bbsam

Staff member
A misunderstanding? The BA who called for the illegal walkout told the drivers that their jobs could be in jeopardy if they persisted.

They might not uphold the terminations on all 250 but they sure as hell will use this as their chance to get rid of some of the "problem children".
That's exactly why they should threaten the strike. If UPS is give time, they will pick off the individuals as easily as if there was no union and hold the working/terminated status over the heads of others indefinitely. I agree there probably was no misunderstanding, but that's just an excuse to threatens strike. Simple case of hang together or hang separately.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's exactly why they should threaten the strike. If UPS is give time, they will pick off the individuals as easily as if there was no union and hold the working/terminated status over the heads of others indefinitely. I agree there probably was no misunderstanding, but that's just an excuse to threatens strike. Simple case of hang together or hang separately.

Keep in mind that the BA who called for the work stoppage used to be a driver in the same local who has an axe to grind against the company (he was terminated).

What if UPS decides to sue the local over the thousands of late NDA?

Keep in mind that the BA who called for the in work stoppage used to be a driver in the same local who has an axe to grind against the company (he was terminated).

Maybe they should have cheated like you.....sheet them all before you get to the stop.....go look In the mirror, before you call anybody else out.....shame, shame on you!

bbsam

Staff member
Keep in mind that the BA who called for the work stoppage used to be a driver in the same local who has an axe to grind against the company (he was terminated).

I won't pretend to have a lot of knowledge in the area of contract law, but from a purely strategic viewpoint, I think the fate of these drivers is squarely in the hands of the company and the only hope they have is their union brothers. The union and the company can work this out, but at this point the company has no compelling reason to work it out. Maybe the union should use the backlog of grievances to threaten a strike and the reinstatement of the drivers is a side concession the company throws in in good faith.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

then i guess my dues will go from 30 to 50 a month. Why do you even care King Dave?? Go back to the BOG and fold your socks.