What is your opinion on the termination of 250 drivers in Local 804?

What is your opinion on the termination of 250 drivers in Local 804?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I won't pretend to have a lot of knowledge in the area of contract law, but from a purely strategic viewpoint, I think the fate of these drivers is squarely in the hands of the company and the only hope they have is their union brothers. The union and the company can work this out, but at this point the company has no compelling reason to work it out. Maybe the union should use the backlog of grievances to threaten a strike and the reinstatement of the drivers is a side concession the company throws in in good faith.
The company....over stepped their boundaries................they violated the contract, again. and again.......the members has had enough......treat people ,like people....respect the contract....and all the problems will be solved!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yes, I think that a strike should be in order....there are rumors floating around. But yes, the guys in Maspeth set the example...we won't take their abuse anymore! And Dave, if it were 250 guys from your local who walked out...you'd STILL be posting on BC how they should be fired! You're a hypocrite.

Brown Spider

Recently 250 drivers in Local 804, under the direction of their Business Agent, staged a work protest in support of a co-worker who was terminated for dishonesty. UPS promptly placed all 250 drivers on a working termination which they upgraded to permanent terminations on Friday. The union claims the walkout was supported by language in their contract supplement while the company maintains their position that the walkout was illegal.
First, the working terminations that the 250 drivers were put on were NOT "upgraded to permanent terminations on Friday." The newspaper article and other reports used a statement from UPS that referenced the original working terminations. Nothing changed on Friday. The drivers worked. Second, the Union claim that "the walkout was supported by language in their contract supplement" is a compelling argument. Article 18, Section 4 a) states that:

The Union agrees that it will not cause or permit its members to cause strikes of any kind, stoppages, or any other interference with any of the operations of the Company during the term of the Agreement, so long as the Company abides by the procedure prescribed for the settlement of disputes and differences and the decisions of the arbitrators as provided in this Agreement.

UPS failed to abide by those prescribed procedures one time too many and one of their idiotic managers made a decision that triggered this incident.

bbsam

Staff member
I thought yes at first as well, but then again, why would they? I guess it's in details of the working/terminated designation.

pretender

I should not give my opinion on the terminations, since I do not have all of the facts. Also, I have not even heard of working terminations...

However, many years (and contracts) ago, we had a similar situation, concerning a driver being terminated. The BA came to the building one morning, and we had a "union meeting" in the wash tunnel, that just happened to run past our start time. This was 30+ years ago, so my memory fails me; but I believe it lasted 1/2 hour past our start time--give or take. The point is that the BA knew just how far he could push the issue, and he was not foolish enough to lead everyone off the property. Management got the message, and the driver got his job back.

Sent using BrownCafe App