what is your UPS career route?

rod

Retired 22 years
Started as part timer the end of Feb. 1971. Went full time as a driver June 1st., 1971. Retired June 27th, 2001. Worked as a package driver the whole time.

Started pt in 1989. Worked in the four centers in building, worked the 3 shifts. Went ft driving in 96. Got an extra 2 weeks vacation in 97. Will probably transfer to my fifth building before leaving. Will leave in 8 years unless ups starts treating cover drivers fairly (the same as a bid driver). Would like to stay until 55 for my mgmt pension.

UPSER110

-I got hired part time preload Aug 2008. Put my 2 weeks notice in july 2009 after graduating college (thinking I would actually get a good job).
-Got hired back on Nov 2009 for Christmas and they kept me after the holidays. Then switched to the PM sort /carwash. Went to Integrad the summer of 2011, was an air driver, then TCD.
-Full-time Driver sept 2013 and might actually get a route this year.

Fnix

Started part time in 2006 and still part time, maybe one of these days I will go cover driver. Driving seems like a big pain in the ass.

brostalss

Unload night sort 1992. Sort aisle and small sort Day sort 1994. Driver in 2000. Got my own route in 2005. (Same day the new Corvette Z06 was unveiled. Had the day off and was a guest of GM)

Just flying below radar until I can possibly go feeder and take it from there.

code5

. Started fulltime as a cover driver for first 5 years. Had the same route the next 13 years. I quit 2 years ago. Liked the first 15 years, the last 3 sucked. UPS just got too stupid so i moved on and don't regret it - that's life.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
In fall of '94 I was hired as a driver helper for peak. Did that for 2 seasons for the same driver. He told management that they had better hire me as a driver but there were no openings at the time. Kept my foot in the door each peak as a driver until spring of '01 when I accepted a night clerk position. Did that for a year and then driver position became available. Been full time since then

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was hired in October 1975 as a loader on the Midnight Sort in the Atlanta Hub. I was a 17 year old kid at the time, I soon became a pickoff and spent most of my part time years working with Irregulars. I finally made full-time package driver in April 1984. I was always a bid driver and now I am on my fourth bid route. I made my 30 year full time pension last June, I don't really have to work now. I am currently just riding the gravy train padding my 401K, I'm having fun now that I don't worry about anything. I will get Circle of Honor this April 15th, thats one goal I want and maybe a 40 year plaque next October. I'm 56 and I can still go a few years if I choose.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Started as an unloader/porter in Nov. 1976. 14 months later a FT drivers job opened, and since there were only 3 PT workers at our building, and I was the only one who bid, I got the drivers job in Jan. 1978. Package driver on the same area for 9 years. Feeders the next 28 years. Retired March 2014 with 38 years in.

brett636

Started 6/12/2000 part time unloading. Went to sorting soon thereafter. On 11/4/2006 I was officially full time with my 22.3 air combo job doing air pickups in the evening and working the midnight shift in my local hub. In August of 2010 the first feeder list that I had a real shot at winning my spot in feeders came up and I took it. It took until late October 2010 before I finally began training and a month or so later was a full seniority driver in my department. Here we are just a few months shy of my 5 year anniversary in feeders and I have over 100 drivers below me in seniority. Not complaining one bit about my current position...

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hired March of 2006, could have gone the Upstate route (off the street), but had another FT job so I waited. 2 1/2 years later I went FT. Package Car driver for 6 years, got tired of it and went into Feeders last summer. Who knows when I'll retire, but lord knows my body will still be usable :D

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Started Aug. 1976 , MidNight Sort.
Stayed there until midnight sort was terminated , move to twilight sort.
1984 & 1985 Tried friend/T driving ...failed .
1987 Became first Exception Air Driver while working twilight car wash .
Was first Sat. Air Driver in my area . Also was used to test EAM possibilities . Under the idea of being an air driver some managers used me as a cover driver , a bulk driver , an airport shuttle driver , and driving 24 footers to another state as a special air shuttle run .
Took year 1 combo ( 1999 ) slot air driving / Customer Counter until 2003 .
Move to another building car wash / preload sorter .
2004 moved back CC/air driver at first building , lost DOT Card ( medical reason ) 2010 .
Had to move back ( 2012 ) to second building since all combo available to me had a driving element .
2012-2014 Customer Counter combo ( all inside hours ) , got bumped last bid .
2014 went back to first building car wash / preload .
Have lived thru 39 Peaks , # 40 will be my last . Have enough pension credit to leave at any time , but planning to stay until 35 yrs pension credit achieved .
I will receive more for being retired than I ever earned .
I will be quitting around Founders Day 2016 .
With exactly 40 yrs in .

SafeYARDdog

hired 12-2012.
PT Package Handle for 1years and a half.
Yard Shifter since June-2014 ( easy money i guess).
About to quit next month.:p