What I've Learned In My First 60 Days at UPS

bsmith08

1) I'm still not sure if it's the p/t job for me, but it's gotten easier over time.
2) As a pre-loader, it's obvious that some drivers are divas. Instead of directing their anger at mgmt, they snap at you for a full package car with 170 stops.
3) I'm not sure if I could ever be a supervisor. A good number of them are blatant a$$e$.
4) The sound of the scan check is annoying as all hell.
5) Work as Directed is more often than not, arbitrary and capricious.
6) According to my pedometer, I take about 18,000 steps during my shift.
7) If you post on Brown Cafe as a "newbie" you will likely be verbally beat down. If you snap back, you will be called a troll.
8) The turnover rate is extremely high. I was in the " mentoring" sessions with about 14 people and only about five of us have remained.
9)Getting two pages of adcuts at 8:00am is not okay.
10) I work with a great group of guys who have helped make my adjustment to the job somewhat favorable.

PT Car Washer

You are an example of "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger". Yes UPS does make the job much more difficult then it needs to be. Just keep in mind that after 25 or 30 or 35 years you can retire with a PT pension. $2100/month with 35 years. Better then a lot of FT jobs if they even have a pension.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Just stick with it. Sign every bid sheet that comes out. Ignore management and just say "I'll work on it.". Don't go into management. If something doesn't seem right ask your union steward. If you stick it out long enough there is a huge payout at the end of the road.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
"bsmith08"
take your frustration level and multiply it by 100. that's a full time driver's frustration level.
And yes, a lot of drivers are divas but a large portion of how our day runs is dependent on our preloader (quality).
I have seen a dude standing on the belt (back turned to my truck), firing smalls from a tote over his shoulder into my car... laughing an evil laugh...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
1) I'm still not sure if it's the p/t job for me, but it's gotten easier over time.
2) As a pre-loader, it's obvious that some drivers are divas. Instead of directing their anger at mgmt, they snap at you for a full package car with 170 stops.
3) I'm not sure if I could ever be a supervisor. A good number of them are blatant a$$e$.
4) The sound of the scan check is annoying as all hell.
5) Work as Directed is more often than not, arbitrary and capricious.
6) According to my pedometer, I take about 18,000 steps during my shift.
7) If you post on Brown Cafe as a "newbie" you will likely be verbally beat down. If you snap back, you will be called a troll.
8) The turnover rate is extremely high. I was in the " mentoring" sessions with about 14 people and only about five of us have remained.
9)Getting two pages of adcuts at 8:00am is not okay.
10) I work with a great group of guys who have helped make my adjustment to the job somewhat favorable.

The first newbie that has it figured out
Congrats!!! Your gonna be fine

HubBub

You're not the first UPS'er with brains. Either use your brains to get a degree and get out, or shut up and wait your turn. Simple as that. Either make your life better or wait for your life to get better.

bsmith08

You're not the first UPS'er with brains. Either use your brains to get a degree and get out, or shut up and wait your turn. Simple as that. Either make your life better or wait for your life to get better.
I actually have a BA and an MA. However, I needed a 2nd job to help offset college tuition costs for child. Not sure what I'm "waiting" my turn for? And from my point of view, I was simply offering my views on UPS.... I was not complaining about anything.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
:grouphugg::noobiesmiley::noobiesmiley::noobiesmiley::overreactsmiley::goodpost:I'm impressed with your insightful truth that obviously is the downfall of a company that thrives on constant chaos, unorganization, and a high turnover rate. As a driver I feel like a diva cause not many people can fill my shoes on a daily basis. I'm number 5 on the seniority list and no one has bid on my route in our center or from any other. Everyone has too much work and some of us might work a little harder and that's a matter of opinion and certain variables. Ups has no reality or common sense and I'm glad you can see that along with brown cafés newbie beat down. Everyone starts as a newbie anywhere they work or get on line. Nice adjustment so just deal with it. It is what it is.

HubBub

I actually have a BA and an MA. However, I needed a 2nd job to help offset college tuition costs for child. Not sure what I'm "waiting" my turn for? And from my point of view, I was simply offering my views on UPS.... I was not complaining about anything.

lol, waiting your turn for more/better jobs/vacations/pay. Things get better with this company, albeit sowly. Good long term as long as WE keep the union strong. Otherwise "WE" are friend'ed long term. That's the job in a nutshell. Crap job with good long-term compensation. Some of us with brains don't mind banking on the "surest" long-term gig. If you've got a MA you "might" actually have some viable options, but probably still won't beat the reliability/compensation of big brown.

McGee

those add/ cuts are seriously a pain AFTER 8:00 and then having to look for a 1300, 2200, or my favorite- 4010 which is on the other side of a set of 3000 tires... lol! Oh well, work as directed right?

Last edited:

Re-Raise

How old are you bsmith08? I am guessing from your screen name that you were born in 1908 which would make you 106... or maybe you graduated in 1908 which would put you at roughly 124.

The reason I ask is because I have noticed a pretty significant shift in our part-time work force over the 30 years I have been with UPS. When I was hired it was about 90% college kids. There are a lot more older new hires now, who have no desire to move to full-time.

bsmith08

How old are you bsmith08? I am guessing from your screen name that you were born in 1908 which would make you 106... or maybe you graduated in 1908 which would put you at roughly 124.

The reason I ask is because I have noticed a pretty significant shift in our part-time work force over the 30 years I have been with UPS. When I was hired it was about 90% college kids. There are a lot more older new hires now, who have no desire to move to full-time.
I'm actually a female in my early 40's. The group who got hired around the same time as me was quite different. The there were a few young men straight out of high school and also a few other women close to my age, one even looked older. I am fortunate enough to have alternative employment, but I didn't want a part time job in my current field. Once I read about all of the P/T UPS benefits, it seemed in my best interest to stick around for as long as I can handle. I honestly didn't think is make it through two weeks!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I'm actually a female in my early 40's. The group who got hired around the same time as me was quite different. The there were a few young men straight out of high school and also a few other women close to my age, one even looked older. I am fortunate enough to have alternative employment, but I didn't want a part time job in my current field. Once I read about all of the P/T UPS benefits, it seemed in my best interest to stick around for as long as I can handle. I honestly didn't think is make it through two weeks!
I think Most of us thought we would never make the first few weeks!!! Welcome aboard!!

PT Car Washer

You have the correct attitude for the job. Extra money with benefits. Going to get real crazy in a couple weeks but then things settle down to a routine. Just don't get caught up in managements drama.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You have the correct attitude for the job. Extra money with benefits. Going to get real crazy in a couple weeks but then things settle down to a routine. Just don't get caught up in managements drama.
And seriously, if I see a driver treating a preload person bad, I will tell them. Diva, really, not me. Im just there for money. And my preloader makes or breaks me. Having also been one at one time, total respect for my co workers.